Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

EVA Air - a warning

This is my experience. Take from it what you want. You'll probably think "well you were just unlucky" or "I've never had a problem with EVA before" but I just want to share my experience to warn others. I too have flown with EVA before and thought they are a great airline but after this experience my trust in them as an airline has been completely shattered and I will never fly with them again. I'm currently sat in the Crowne Plaza hotel outside Terminal 4 of Heathrow and it's more than 40 hours since I was initially scheduled to fly. Here's my story. I had a 2120 flight booked on Tuesday the 22nd with EVA air. I got to the airport at 1730 and went straight through security with no problem. I had something to eat and a few beers so everything was going well. I went to the departure gate about 2000. The flight was initially delayed for half an hour. Then another half hour. Then another. Then another. Finally, just after midnight we were told the flight was cancelled until the next day and we would be taken to a hotel. Apparently it was cancelled due to a technical fault but that was all we were told and they wouldn't elaborate. The organisation was appalling. Only two people who I don't even think worked for EVA air were left to get us on the coaches to take us to the hotel. People were wondering around the airport (that was now closed) not knowing where to go until eventually we were all rounded up and put on coaches to be taken to h otels. Mine was a no frills hotel in Hounslow which I eventually checked in to at 0200. I debated going home as I live quite near but given the poor organisation and the fact we weren't given a definitive flight time for the next day I felt I should stick around. My bag was still on the plane so I had no change of clothes or a toothbrush which meant I had to walk up the shop in the morning in the freezing cold with only a T shirt on. I didn't think I'd need a coat or sweater as I should be in Thailand by now. At this point I'm trying to see the funny side of it. At 1230 we were taken to the airport and went through security again with the boarding cards we'd been given the previous day. I had a few beers and went to the departure gate where we were told at about 1530 that we wouldn't be getting on this plane and we would have to go back through border control and collect our bags. Regrettably I lost my temper and got threatened with security if I didn't calm down which I eventually did and then apologised. Once more we were told it was a technical problem and nobody from EVA air came to speak to us to tell us anything. Then we were told by airport staff we should check in again once we got our bags back as we would be flying at 1800. It was just beyond the joke by now. I went back through security for the second time that day. I debated booking another flight now that I had my bag back but I trusted them to finally get things resolved so I went to the departure gate. We eventually got on the plane at about 2000 and I thought my ordeal was over, until unbelievably at about 2130 we were told that we wouldn't be flying and the flight had been cancelled again. This time we were told it was due to time slots but by this point I couldn't believe a word they were telling us. I'd also gone past the point of being angry and was just drained of energy and desperate to get to Thailand. Some people were crying and some people lost their patience and started venting their anger. Yet again, nobody from EVA air around to tell us what was going on or how we would get to the h otels they'd booked for us. I decided that enough was enough and I booked another flight for today with Thai Airways at 2135. I'm not really a superstitious man but I agreed with the missus in that it seemed like it was a sign not to get on an EVA airplane as I certainly didn't feel safe or comfortable flying with them now. I was taken to the Crowne Plaza hotel outside Terminal 4 which is a nice hotel, the one good bit of luck I've had since this whole debacle started. I've had a good sleep, plenty to eat and I feel refreshed now. I've lost two nights in Bangkok which after almost two years since I've been there means I'm gutted but I'm trying to remain upbeat about things and not to let it get me down, soon I'll be on the way to terminal 2 to fly out with Thai Airways and finally start my holiday. Obviously I will never fly with EVA air again as the way they have treated me has been appaling and my trust in them as an airline has been completely obliterated. The least they can do is reimburse me the cost of the flight but considering eveything that has happened I am going to want more compensation than that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is my experience. Take from it what you want. You'll probably think "well you were just unlucky" or "I've never had a problem with EVA before" but I just want to share my experience to warn other

Usually you get nice little individual salt and pepper shakers to put on the foie gras!

I flew with Eva just the once cos they were considerably cheaper than Thai and never did again because I got no salt and pepper in my meal packages. You had to ask the trolley dolly for salt and by th

Posted Images

I flew with Eva just the once cos they were considerably cheaper than Thai and never did again because I got no salt and pepper in my meal packages. You had to ask the trolley dolly for salt and by the time you realised it was missing and she'd finally brought it to you your grub which was ultra bland anyway was cold as well.

But now you no longer get any condiments on Thai either so I keep some in my carry on bag. That's on Sardine Class which I always fly in. I dunno what the posh people in First Class  put on their grub.

In your case I'd be hopping mad and demand some compensation for missing the start of your holiday. Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Sounds like really shitty, Ryan Air type treatment by EVA Sam, hit them with every charge for comp the EU stipulates! 

After the holiday!

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, yogi100 said:

I dunno what the posh people in First Class  put on their grub.

Usually you get nice little individual salt and pepper shakers to put on the foie gras!

• Haha 3

Hurry up and go for your compensation it might be tricky after Brexit on 29march.mind you they put you up in hotels and that may be all they have to do.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, capdagde said:

That damned EU again! :bigsmile:

Should get something back from that £13 billion!

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, yselmike said:

Hurry up and go for your compensation it might be tricky after Brexit on 29march.mind you they put you up in hotels and that may be all they have to do.

Not so....This article seems good Sam. https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/holidays/article-2271213/How-claim-EU-flight-delay-compensation-EC-261-2004.html

Living it large and then trying to charge it to the airline is unlikely to work. 

You are also unlikely to find airlines paying for the expense of you abandoning your flight and navigating your way home yourself. 

Although, if you have taken the simplest and best-value route you may be covered and if you had been advised to get yourself home and that you would be reimbursed by the airline, then you should state this and claim. 

My only worry might be that you took another flight - but read the article.

All the best

Andy

• Sad 1

OP will obviously get standard EU compensation for Eva but wont get Thai flight price back. Should balance out but as he says 2 days of trip lost

Had a similar issue on Eva 2003 where they're couldnt upload data from mainframe in Taiwan. Cancelled flight but luckily for me was Gold at the time on Eva and had priority and was immediately transferred to Thai. No compo back then obviously

Another time on Eva when it landed late at Heathrow just before the curfew they gave me immediately voucher for Hotel when I truthfully said last transport had left to go back home. Was impressed they gave out the hotel that night.

Edited by Rawhide2

A bit concerning although I fly with them going the other way.  Several years back had the flight out of Bangkok significantly late, probably the incoming flight from the UK was delayed.  Got to Taipei and thought there was no way I was making the connecting flight.  "Boss, guess where I am."  No, it was still there, possibly waiting for us as it was Eva as well.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, nkped said:

A bit concerning although I fly with them going the other way.  Several years back had the flight out of Bangkok significantly late, probably the incoming flight from the UK was delayed.  Got to Taipei and thought there was no way I was making the connecting flight.  "Boss, guess where I am."  No, it was still there, possibly waiting for us as it was Eva as well.

Peoples experience will always vary

Your experience was certainly out of the usual but that's little  consolation for you.     A serious case of bad luck it was.

While not EVA which I've flown many times I once had the experience  of having the airlines take a bit over 40 hours to fly from California to the  Dominican Republic.Same experience as with zero information about  what was happening and of course nothin to soothe ruffled feathers      

I was rewarded at  my  final destination however by learning my luggage had gone missing.     Two round trips to the airport at $20 a leg ($80) and  I was reunited with my bag after 3 days

Shit happens and I guess we have to thank our lucky stars when it doesn't.

• Like 1

I always flew Eva but now I fly Thai, Eva had a lady called Debbie who was usually helpful, but I understand that both BR and TG use mostly agency staff.

Have a good time anyhow. ?

I have just looked at Flightradar24, Tue 22nd Flight Cancelled, Wed 23rd LHR 2143 BKK 1613, Thur 24 LHR 2144 BKK1605, so it looks like just the one day when things went tits up, although BR may have attempted to get BR68 away ay lunchtime on the 23rd.

Presumably there was an empty BR flight from LHR to Taipei at some stage.

Edited by Gus
7 hours ago, GeeGee said:

Never seems to happen when leaving LOS. SOD's Law I spose.

It's a sad summation of the way the country has gone, but far better service and organisation at the Thailand end!

Didn't get on a single flight on time within the UK last year!

Edited by jacko

As far as I can tell there really is little difference between the lot of them. I flew Thai Air twice return in the last 6 months and had issues on both flights that caused me to lodge complaints. Air New Zealand has been dreadful and I got recompense from Cathay Pacific. I won't even try to understand Qantas and I can proudly say that I haven't flown through Australia for years, thankfully. I had good experience with Malaysian and China Southern. Malaysia changed flight schedules and I was unable to use them but recent changes has now made this one of my best options for 2019. Okay, my next trip in February will be with Thai but it may be my last for a while.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

I used to fly Thai every time, two or three times a year for several years. My last few flights have been with Eva Air and to be honest, I've not had any major problems with any flights. maybe a few minutes late landing or taking off but we're talking just a few minutes. Certainly nothing to break a sweat over. Even when we had the volcanic ash cloud in 2010 and all flights (and I mean ALL flights) were cancelled from the UK, Thai air got me on a new flight within a day or so of the restriction being lifted. I went to their office in London to re-arrange my flight and they were obviously very busy, but they were doing their damnedest to get those back to Thailand as quickly as they could, even asking some passengers if they can get to Heathrow within the next 3 hours, they can get a seat.

I've had more delays on trains!!!

KM

I'm feeling a little better now. Finally made it to Thailand and had an absolute tear up in Nana Plaza last night. I ended up bumping in to someone I know on the Thai Airways flight who has never been to Thailand before. I took him under my wing. I went short time twice with girls from Billboard and then a long time with another. I've just woke up 18k baht lighter but I've got some amazing memories! What a great night. So much for the man who says he refuses to pay bar fines in go go bars. I love Nana Plaza. All three girls from last night were absolute stunners but these girls from Billboard aren't cheap. One of them turned out to be a starfish but the other two were rampant and a lot of fun. I went crazy because I only had one night in Bangkok. I was meant to have three but the cancelled flights meant I lost two. I fly to Hanoi later today. 

Edited by Siam Sam
On 1/25/2019 at 4:30 AM, Siam Sam said:

I'm currently sat in the Crowne Plaza hotel outside Terminal 4 of Heathrow and it's more than 40 hours since I was initially scheduled to fly.

I had an afterthought. What if you had been travelling and expecting to arrive in Thailand on the last, or penultimate day of a Visa. Worst case, say a Non-Imm OA, you would have been expecting to get stamped in for a year, and ended up with a 30 day Visa waiver entry! What a mess that could make of people's plans.

Jacko i almost did that.  Was on a ME OA so could have gotten another year.   On the 90 day at Jomtien i talked with an IO . He said your coming in at 2200 and your visa ends 0000. Bad idea , get an extension now.

Sorry about the Eva thing. My holidays here were short so smoothly getting here was important.   I always fly ANA. A few more $$ but outstanding service . Several  years ago some problem and we had to return to Tokyo almost mid flight.  We arrived to Narita which was closed that time of night/morning. Greeted by many ANA staff bowing and apologizing for the problem. I'm thinking where did they get these people from at 0300.  Had efficient transport to hotel an return to the airport a few hours later.  Even kept my same seat.

I had another look on flightradar as to what happened to the aircraft of the cancelled flight. (B16705)

It arrived at LHR normal time 1917 ish on the 22nd, then it departed on the 24th at 1609hrs arriving BKK 1002 on the 25th as flight EVA068D, whether it was carrying any pax I don't know.

• Upvote 1

I watched this flight on FR24 and saw it was cancelled, it eventually went out as EVA068D 2 days later at 16:00. Last year my flight with EVA was cancelled due to a bird strike, so no compo. we were put up in a shithole of a hotel and given meal vouchers, but they were for buffet only (which was shit).

I was first in the queue at LHR but had not checked my case, so was at the EVA desk when I overhard 2 staff saying they would bump pax onto the Thai flight that night, so when the desk opened I asked to be bumped only to be told that there were no seats avaialable, so I called the bloke a liar and told him what I had heard, again he threatened to call security, so I told him to go ahead, he had lied to me and I wanted to know why. After an apology I still didn't get bumped.

After contacting EVA by email and letter, I left a shocking review on trip Advisor and skytrax, telling EVA what a bunch of cunts they are. The customer service is apalling and although the price point is good and it's a direct flight, the timekeeping is abysmal. According to stats, only 19% of the LHR-BKK EVA 68 flights leave on time, everything else is delayed.

Sam, I feel your pain brother, having been in the same situation last year with an 19 hour delay and the frustration of EVA air and their really useless customer service team. If it makes you feel any better, call their London office and ask to speak to the duty manager for an explaination.

Edit ** Sorry Gus I didn't see your reply.

Edited by Butch
  • Thanks 1

I haven't flown on EVA for three years but must have had over 20 flights with them in premium economy and business going right back to the time when the London flights used to stop off in Vienna and i have to say that personally i have never had a bad flight or even what that was significantly delayed. Maybe the original poster was just unlucky. Sometimes you only get a complete picture of an airline when things go wrong. Some of the middle eastern airlines have great hard product but a poor reputation for customer service . BA may have many faults but if things went wrong i would feel more confident that they would look after me than some other airlines with superior hard product

• Upvote 1

No probs Butch.

Whether it be Eva, Thai or whoever at LHR, the airlines appear to have dumped their own loyal staff and employed agency staff to cut costs.

i suppose it is the price we have to pay for fares being very similar to what they were say 10 years ago.?

Bizarrely I migrated from using Eva to Thai because I thought there would be more empty seats on TG with the airline having 2 flights a day on LHR-BKK but TG load well even their midweek flights.

• Upvote 1