Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

EVA Air - a warning

4 hours ago, neilri2001 said:

BA may have many faults but if things went wrong i would feel more confident that they would look after me than some other airlines with superior hard product

Not sure I could go along with that one. Biggest liars out there. Although once when a flight was cancelled got put up reasonably well. I was in Biz!

• Like 1
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is my experience. Take from it what you want. You'll probably think "well you were just unlucky" or "I've never had a problem with EVA before" but I just want to share my experience to warn other

Usually you get nice little individual salt and pepper shakers to put on the foie gras!

I flew with Eva just the once cos they were considerably cheaper than Thai and never did again because I got no salt and pepper in my meal packages. You had to ask the trolley dolly for salt and by th

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Butch said:

According to stats, only 19% of the LHR-BKK EVA 68 flights leave on time, everything else is delayed.

Trouble with Heathrow is the congestion. You can be inbound with an ETA of 10 minutes early and still be 30 late when stacked up. Turnaround time on Eva is short anyway and now further curtailed from being late landing through no fault of the airline. You're now probably out of your slot to depart and so on.

I'd be more inclined to use a completely non congested airport as a barometer of an airlines on time departures. Heathrow must be the worst in the world

23 hours ago, Butch said:

I watched this flight on FR24 and saw it was cancelled, it eventually went out as EVA068D 2 days later at 16:00. Last year my flight with EVA was cancelled due to a bird strike, so no compo. we were put up in a shithole of a hotel and given meal vouchers, but they were for buffet only (which was shit).

I was first in the queue at LHR but had not checked my case, so was at the EVA desk when I overhard 2 staff saying they would bump pax onto the Thai flight that night, so when the desk opened I asked to be bumped only to be told that there were no seats avaialable, so I called the bloke a liar and told him what I had heard, again he threatened to call security, so I told him to go ahead, he had lied to me and I wanted to know why. After an apology I still didn't get bumped.

After contacting EVA by email and letter, I left a shocking review on trip Advisor and skytrax, telling EVA what a bunch of cunts they are. The customer service is apalling and although the price point is good and it's a direct flight, the timekeeping is abysmal. According to stats, only 19% of the LHR-BKK EVA 68 flights leave on time, everything else is delayed.

Sam, I feel your pain brother, having been in the same situation last year with an 19 hour delay and the frustration of EVA air and their really useless customer service team. If it makes you feel any better, call their London office and ask to speak to the duty manager for an explaination.

Edit ** Sorry Gus I didn't see your reply.

Yes I will get the ball rolling with complaints and a compensation claim soon but at the minute I'm just getting on with enjoying my holiday. I'm currently in Hanoi and I'm loving it. This place is crazy although there is no action unless you want to try the massage places which is something I'm not going to bother with. I've never been one for hand jobs and from what I've heard it's very hit and miss trying to get anything more than that in Hanoi. It's a really cool place though and some of the women are unbelievably attractive. They are much harder to approach than Thai women and it's doubtful an ugly fucker like me will pull here. I think I'll have much more success in Saigon, I'm meeting a friend there and he's confident he can hook me up with loads of hookers. 

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Flown with EVA many times and have never been charged extra for seat choice. Always book the seat at the same time as making the main booking. Only time I paid for seat choice was with BA who only allowed free choice 24 hours before departure. One of the reason I NEVER fly BA.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Gus said:

I was looking on Flyertalk the other day and I noticed a post about Eva now charging for exit row seats, any BM's aware of this?

Odd you mention that Gus, I looked at the seat layout in Prem econ today and all the bulkhead seats are greyed out, everything else available. I certainly hope that's not the case that they are charging. I've been tracking BR067/ 068 this week on FR24, they seem to have got their act together on timings, it's been early in and out of LHR every day, which is kind of unusual for EVA!.

2 hours ago, Butch said:

Odd you mention that Gus, I looked at the seat layout in Prem econ today and all the bulkhead seats are greyed out, everything else available. I certainly hope that's not the case that they are charging. I've been tracking BR067/ 068 this week on FR24, they seem to have got their act together on timings, it's been early in and out of LHR every day, which is kind of unusual for EVA!.

Yes they are charging for Exit row seats now, I usually book a seat then ask at bag drop to change, but last trip in Dec they said I had to pay unless the plane was full.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, boydeste said:

Yes they are charging for Exit row seats now, I usually book a seat then ask at bag drop to change, but last trip in Dec they said I had to pay unless the plane was full.

Ahh, bollocks lol. Welcome to the board, and thanks for the info mate. Are they all now 3-4-3 in Econ did you notice?.

I used to use EVA all the time as a tourist, were great then went sharply sownhill as mentioned above not even salt and pepper included with the meal which is desperately needed with their food. When i had to start going back and forth again i did notice a bit of an improvement however their prices are getting very much on the rise. I am now using 3rd party sites like sky scanner and one travel finding deals on China Eastern China Southern and Phillipine Air and am quite happy to save the money and take them, don't really feel EVA is any better than them to be honest.

On 2/7/2019 at 3:21 PM, Butch said:

Ahh, bollocks lol. Welcome to the board, and thanks for the info mate. Are they all now 3-4-3 in Econ did you notice?.

555555 thanks, but been here nearly 10 years lol

Just don't post much.

I didn't take too much notice to be fair but I think it was still the old config both ways.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Just to update this thread:

I ended up getting 600 Euros compensation which was £529 but for some reason they didn't give me the £68 for the two nights in the Majestic Suites which they said they would. I can't be bothered to chase them for it as I was surprised I even got the 600 Euros. Considering I booked another flight on the second night of my delay I ended up about even. It did restore my faith in EVA a little but I doubt I'll fly with them again. We're booked with Thai Airways for April. 

Edited by Siam Sam
On 1/27/2019 at 11:26 AM, Siam Sam said:

Yes I will get the ball rolling with complaints and a compensation claim soon but at the minute I'm just getting on with enjoying my holiday. I'm currently in Hanoi and I'm loving it. This place is crazy although there is no action unless you want to try the massage places which is something I'm not going to bother with. I've never been one for hand jobs and from what I've heard it's very hit and miss trying to get anything more than that in Hanoi. It's a really cool place though and some of the women are unbelievably attractive. They are much harder to approach than Thai women and it's doubtful an ugly fucker like me will pull here. I think I'll have much more success in Saigon, I'm meeting a friend there and he's confident he can hook me up with loads of hookers. 

Dont panic ! You have 6 years to claim compo

EVA's new fair structure, if you purchase discounted airfare you have to pay for seat selection. $40US Long-haul & $15 regional. The good all seats were open for selection in PE except the two window basinet sides, for a June trip. EVA's price structure appears to me to be more expensive now, even shopping the sales. Paid last 2 years for PE $1,100/$1,000US for PE, which included free seat selection though limited availability. This year for PE $1,600 plus $110 for seat selection. And oil prices are still down.   

17 minutes ago, CalEden said:

EVA's new fair structure, if you purchase discounted airfare you have to pay for seat selection. $40US Long-haul & $15 regional. The good all seats were open for selection in PE except the two window basinet sides, for a June trip. EVA's price structure appears to me to be more expensive now, even shopping the sales. Paid last 2 years for PE $1,100/$1,000US for PE, which included free seat selection though limited availability. This year for PE $1,600 plus $110 for seat selection. And oil prices are still down.   

Just checked an Eva flight from UK to BKK and its 30KG included baggage

16 hours ago, Gottsy said:

Just checked an Eva flight from UK to BKK and its 30KG included baggage

It depends upon your fare class. I put it in another thread, but EVA allowances in Economy are according to the website: under fare rule "A" in econ, it's 20 kg, "Q,H,W,V,S" it's 30kg and "B,Y" it's 35.

Premium Economy is 35kg, and for UK-BKK flights there is no cost for seat selection in that Cabin Class, couldn't comment about Econ though.

EVA 68 and EVA 67 are still both arriving and departing late with shocking regularity, this week one went out after 23:00. BR067 seems to arrive around 19:30 - 20:30 most days.

Edited by Butch
fat fingers
  • Thanks 1

Effective from 05 March 2019, if the Fare Family you have purchased does not include free seat selection, or if you can't select a seat of your preference for free, you can choose to pay the following fee, depending on the Fare Family purchased, to select a seat of your choice in advance.

Effective from 05 March 2019, the fee for Extra Legroom Seats (formerly Exit Seats) on the long-haul flights will be adjusted to USD150. The new seat zones will open for sales on all flights departing from 11 March 2019.

Premium Economy Class

Short-haul routes: $15 USD

Long-haul routes: $40 USD

Economy Class

Standard Seats

Short-haul routes: $10 USD

Long-haul routes: $30 USD

Preferred Seats

Short-haul routes: $20 USD

Long-haul routes: $50 USD

Extra Legroom Seats

Short-haul routes: $45 USD

Long-haul routes: $150 USD

Description:

Seat Selection Fees are charged per passenger, per segment.

Short-haul routes: Between Taiwan and Southeast Asia, Northeast Asia, Hong Kong, Macau, Mainland China.
Long-haul routes: Between Taiwan and the US, Canada, Europe, Australia, and between Thailand and Europe.

The amount payable may be different due to local currency fluctuations.

This off the EVA website. My understanding is if you purchase a discounted fare you do get free seat selection at 48 hours prior to departure.  If you want to select your seats at the purchase point of a discounted fare then the above seat selection fees apply. Below I have pasted the fare classes for PE off the EVA web page.

Premium Economy Class
Fare Family Fare Family Types

Basic

Standard

Plus

Features

The fare is just right for you

EVA Classic

Value combos

Great flexibility

Maximizing miles

Earn Infinity MileageLands Miles 100% 115% 125%
Free-Checked Baggage Allowance (Note 1)

By piece 2pcs/28kg each

By weight 35kg

By piece 2pcs/28kg each

By weight 35kg

By piece 2pcs/28kg each

By weight 35kg

Seat Selection (Note 2) Chargeable Complimentary Complimentary
Upgrade with Miles Not allowed Allowed Allowed
Change fee (Note 3) Chargeable Chargeable Complimentary
Refund fee (Note 3) Chargeable Chargeable Chargeable
No-Show fee (Notes 3 & 4) Chargeable Chargeable Chargeable

Note 1: For more information on baggage, please refer to Baggage Information.

Note 2: Premium Economy Seats can be selected for free via online/mobile check-in within 48 hours prior to flight departure. For more information, please refer to Seat Selection.

Note 3: Actual refund, change, and no-show fees may change without notice.

Note 4: Passengers who not cancelling their reservations nor showing up for their flights will be charged for a no-show fee upon ticket reissue or refund.

• Upvote 1
On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:20 AM, CalEden said:

If I had purchased a standard fare which includes complimentary seat selection it would have cost me $2,404 US RT ($700 more). I'll pay the fee. All this adds up when your paying for 3 seats.

Edited by CalEden
  • Thanks 1
On 3/24/2019 at 10:25 AM, Butch said:

It depends upon your fare class. I put it in another thread, but EVA allowances in Economy are according to the website: under fare rule "A" in econ, it's 20 kg, "Q,H,W,V,S" it's 30kg and "B,Y" it's 35.

Premium Economy is 35kg, and for UK-BKK flights there is no cost for seat selection in that Cabin Class, couldn't comment about Econ though.

EVA 68 and EVA 67 are still both arriving and departing late with shocking regularity, this week one went out after 23:00. BR067 seems to arrive around 19:30 - 20:30 most days.

I won't fly with EVA again unless they are the absolute last resort in an emergency. Although they gave me back 600 Euros for my delayed flight they took the piss and being delayed and stuck in London for 48 hours is something I don't want to go through again if I can help it. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
11 hours ago, Siam Sam said:

I won't fly with EVA again unless they are the absolute last resort in an emergency. Although they gave me back 600 Euros for my delayed flight they took the piss and being delayed and stuck in London for 48 hours is something I don't want to go through again if I can help it. 

I totally agree with you, having been stranded myself by EVA last May when the flight was delayed 19 hours. The only reason why I have booked EVA this time is because I had a 25k mileage accrual which saved me money on my ticket,  I didn't get any compensation for my delay either as it was a bird srtike and thus exempt, something which EVA seemed to have great pleasure in telling me via post.

Shame really, they have managed to shag the goodwill out of many of their regular customers.

Edited by Butch

Could be interesting in June.  Eva premium economy is about the only combination of seat and price I can tolerate at this point in life for a trans Pacific flight.

EVA's price gouging is starting to make me look at other airlines. Singapore, Cathay and Jal are entering my region. I already scored a Biz fare at a great rate on Singapore for my October trip. 

I always use EVA, and have yet to have anything happen which would warrant serious criticism of them. 

I'm a Gold Card holder, and I think I get excellent service from them. 

I just know that in 3 weeks' time I'm going to regret writing that! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, Bazle said:

I always use EVA, and have yet to have anything happen which would warrant serious criticism of them. 

I'm a Gold Card holder, and I think I get excellent service from them. 

I just know that in 3 weeks' time I'm going to regret writing that! 

Hi,

I always use direct flights and have been on Thai, Eva, BA/Qantas. I prefer the food on Thai but Eva have been fine. Delays seem to be a problem recently if above posts are correct.

1 hour ago, wacmedia said:

Delays seem to be a problem recently if above posts are correct.

I suspect not flying over Kashmir is the problem. My flight to LHR was an hour and a quarter late a couple of weeks ago because we flew over central India rather than the Himalayas.