Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

The screw keeps on turning... extensions of stay!.

51 minutes ago, sailingbill said:

The OA was great if you visited your home country every 2 years.

If my memory does not fail me, I may even have given you a positive nod wrt the O-A some years ago, recommending it as very suitable for you. Then along came the insurance obligation and now I have a guilty conscience!

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Like most things, when it comes to money, the driving factor is not how much things cost as how much do you have. I holiday in Pattaya for much less than most because I do not drink ,I do not smoke an

In reply to Jacko, my bank book showed the money had been there for the year but I think 3 months would have sufficed.

I gave up on going back to the states but would like to go to Angeles in Feb. If anyone knows a cheap o-a insurance please contact me.  As Jacko has said they are poor but needed for travel.  I have i

Posted Images

No, guilty conscience,  thanks Jacko. You well explained the value of the OA. I missed it being good for 2 years. Not sucking up but that visa was an excellent solution. Hassle free for 4 years. The Thai consulate in DC must be wondering why there are no more OA apps anymore. Even if BCBS insurance wants to help they could not fill out the form. Plus the Thais want a rubber stamp on the form . I doubt BCBS has had a rubber stamp since the 1950's . My friend in Bangkok is an agent in Bangkok. I'll let him sort it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, sailingbill said:

I have an OA., That goes away because of the health insurance. I have excellent health insurance but cant prove it because of the form the Thais want. I have more than 65,000 baht/month income but direct deposit has halted with a change in banking laws in the USA I cant prove it  I know about and use transferwise. No guarantee the transfers show as international. So i legally am well qualified  but am pushed to an agent or less likely the Thai elite card. My visa cost go from 3000baht a year to 30,000. I know my choice but do not want the hassle of 800,000 in a bank then proving its still there 3 months later.  The OA was great if you visited your home country every 2 years. No bank, or extensions needed.

30k for an agent is a bit high. Maneerat on Soi P.O. will get you sorted for 21k for the Non O. Extensions cost 12.5k.

Like you I didn't want, or need the hassles of jumping through the new financial hoops. So after 9 years of doing the extension to stay myself, I used an agent, Maneerat, for the first time on my last extension.

• Thanks 1

I had thought the most recent changes would put the agents out of business. It is obviously not legal but now more people than ever seem to be using agents. The law seems to be quite clear, at least to me. I am by no means a rich man but if you cannot afford to keep 800.000 baht in a Thai bank account, you can't afford to live here. I am legally married to a Thai woman and could base my extensions on marriage. That would mean 400,000 in the bank. I like things as simple as possible and keep the retirement option. I live on my Thai bank account and rarely does it drop below the 800,000. I make sure it is topped up at least three months before my extension is due.

I give my wife 30,000 baht a month. She pays all the household expenses and I pay for the big ticket items. I hate shopping so I buy many things off the Internet using my US credit card. Simple thing for a simple minded man. I'm happy to say that my Social Security along with a small company pension have a fairly healthy surplus every month. Life here is good.

• Like 1

Gary as odd as it seems, Agents are legal in terms of the letter of the law.  Spirit and intention of the law not, but TIT.  It did seem BJ had planned to clean things up but we see how that went.     I also  have adequate Pension and Social Security so i do not want to leave 800,000 sitting in Bangkok Bank when i am happy with my 401k despite recent events.  I have followed your posts' and appreciate talking about some of the difficult relationships you endured. It seems with your wife it was worth the wait.  I have found a lady who seems very much the one. But i remember your admonishment that it takes awhile for the warts to come out.

On 6/1/2020 at 6:09 PM, sailingbill said:

Gary as odd as it seems, Agents are legal in terms of the letter of the law.  Spirit and intention of the law not, but TIT.  It did seem BJ had planned to clean things up but we see how that went.     I also  have adequate Pension and Social Security so i do not want to leave 800,000 sitting in Bangkok Bank when i am happy with my 401k despite recent events.  I have followed your posts' and appreciate talking about some of the difficult relationships you endured. It seems with your wife it was worth the wait.  I have found a lady who seems very much the one. But i remember your admonishment that it takes awhile for the warts to come out.

I don't have any idea how they can legally get around the money requirements and that's the part that seems to be very clear. Obviously that is the main reason people are using an agent. Either you have the money in the bank or you don't. Using an agent, you don't have the money in the bank.

As far as the lady, the last one I lived with was able to keep up her act going for three months before she ran out of patience. Three good months getting along great then  six months trying to get her to leave. Actually she never did leave. She's the main reason I pulled the trigger and bought my condo. I left some money on the apartment kitchen table, loaded my personal items in my pickup truck and left while she was in her English class. Someone told her where my condo was but condo security wouldn't let her through the gate. She didn't know which unit I was in. I blocked her phone calls and never heard from her again.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 5/27/2020 at 11:50 AM, sailingbill said:

I have an OA., That goes away because of the health insurance. I have excellent health insurance but cant prove it because of the form the Thais want. I have more than 65,000 baht/month income but direct deposit has halted with a change in banking laws in the USA I cant prove it  I know about and use transferwise. No guarantee the transfers show as international. So i legally am well qualified  but am pushed to an agent or less likely the Thai elite card. My visa cost go from 3000baht a year to 30,000. I know my choice but do not want the hassle of 800,000 in a bank then proving its still there 3 months later.  The OA was great if you visited your home country every 2 years. No bank, or extensions needed.

I've looked before and I believe Bangkok Bank codes transferwise the same as my OPM check.  However, the last extension in March, I had the distinct impression they preferred a monthly pension/annuity.

I was interested in the Thai Elite Visa. That didn't take me long. As soon as I saw the 500,000 baht price I immediately forgot about it. I did read far enough to see that you still have to do 90 day reports. I can do many years paying the 1,900 baht per year and no way live long enough to get the money back.

Why would a less than democratic nation want expats from a western country? Get out of town, you and your background are not wanted in any dictatorial country.

• Like 1

nkped, there were 2 reports(Thai Visa) that  BBB codedTransferwise deposits as in country transfers. Reason was the funds were routed through Kasikorn then BBB. The felllow explained that didn't work for him,Transferwise said they couldnt help. Had not heard of a problem since then. I also read that Immigratio prefers a neat recurring pension though not required.  The direct deposit is solved now that we do that as the guys in the PI have beed doing. I am just waiting for the mail service to start again and will send my SS and OPM forms to Manila. I never plan to leave Thailand so DirectDeposit is best for me.  

Edited by sailingbill
clarification
34 minutes ago, sailingbill said:

nkped, there were 2 reports(Thai Visa) that Transferwise coded deposits as in country transfers.

I just did  one, to Bangkok Bank via Transferwise. It arrived exactly as an International transfer would. I did select the option 'Funds for Long Term Stay in Thailand'.

I think it was a rare occurrance  . Had i gone with the 65,000 month for a Visa, i would have transferred early in the month. If it was not coded FTT i would have time to make another one. I have not heard of this happening again.   No longer an issue for me.

19 hours ago, Bazle said:

Thanks Bazle, i checked and the PI is also open to incoming flghts.

Edited by sailingbill
update Post Office could not send it. "No Planes". Humorless lady at Fed Ex said 827 Baht. I'll wait

Yes they have but limits on who is allowed in. Most tourists or casual visitors will not qualify at the moment. Check Immigration website for restrictions. I am in Angeles, the lockdown is quite severe here and getting around is not easy 

Edited by biggles
Spell
  • 1 year later...

This is quite a change from the previous 400,000 requirement!

Foreigners applying for non-immigrant (O-A) visas for stays in Thailand of up to one year are now required to have a health insurance policy with minimum coverage of three million baht for in-patient medical fees, instead of the previous 400,000 baht.

Could it also be applied to retirement extensions based on an O-A permission?

37 minutes ago, jacko said:

This is quite a change from the previous 400,000 requirement!

Foreigners applying for non-immigrant (O-A) visas for stays in Thailand of up to one year are now required to have a health insurance policy with minimum coverage of three million baht for in-patient medical fees, instead of the previous 400,000 baht.

Could it also be applied to retirement extensions based on an O-A permission?

I would expect same requirement for the extension to stay if the original visa is O-A. All the more reason to go for the non-imm O, although I wouldn't be surprised if at some point they also add the insurance requirement for that visa as well.

What is a real kick in the backside with the insurance requirement is you can only obtain the insurance from a Thai company. On top of that, it's overpriced for what you get.

14 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

What is a real kick in the backside with the insurance requirement is you can only obtain the insurance from a Thai company. On top of that, it's overpriced for what you get.

Let us not mince words... these policies are poor.. and considering they are obligatory should we be surprised? Saw a report of some company who were seemingly avoiding a claim on Covid insurance.... 

This seems to have come out of the blue.....

I gave up on going back to the states but would like to go to Angeles in Feb. If anyone knows a cheap o-a insurance please contact me.  As Jacko has said they are poor but needed for travel.  I have insurance but the Thais dont accept it.  I called Bumrungrad yesterday to schedule a CTA. Quoted 60- 90,000 baht. I said that is a bit high but she said no problem i will call America , they will pay. She already knew my company. If Bumrungrad can figure it out why cant Immigration?. TIT

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
14 hours ago, sailingbill said:

If Bumrungrad can figure it out why cant Immigration?. TIT

They don't want to.... I strongly believe they simply wish to push 'business' into the hands of Thai companies.  You are fortunate if you carry International Insurance that is readily accepted and pays out wrt Thailand. Have you considered talking to an agent to see if they can 'get the A knocked off' your extension.... because it looks like the cost of the obligatory insurance is set to rise by a factor of maybe 7x!

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, jacko said:

They don't want to.... I strongly believe they simply wish to push 'business' into the hands of Thai companies.  You are fortunate if you carry International Insurance that is readily accepted and pays out wrt Thailand. Have you considered talking to an agent to see if they can 'get the A knocked off' your extension.... because it looks like the cost of the obligatory insurance is set to rise by a factor of maybe 7x!

The only way I know to get the A knocked off the visa is to leave the country without a valid re-entry permit. When you return to Thailand the original visa is no longer valid, thus allowing you to go the non-imm O route.

As dumb luck would have it, that's what happened to me 12 years ago. Stupid me left the country thinking the expiration date on the O-A visa was enough to allow me back in again. To add to my stupidity I didn't realize I could jump through all the hoops myself to get the O visa and instead paid 20k to a "helper". But in the end my error turned out to be a blessing in disguise when they started the money grab disguised as insurance requirement.

• Upvote 1
21 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

The only way I know to get the A knocked off the visa is to leave the country without a valid re-entry permit. When you return to Thailand the original visa is no longer valid, thus allowing you to go the non-imm O route.

Under normal circumstances, yes.

Only hearsay, but I have heard of agents being able to get this done.... or it might simply be a signing off on the insurance requirement (as the money in the bank requirement can be). 

Ill turn 70 y/o next year and  higher insurance cost so changing to an o is a priority. I just want to go to the PI and later one more trip to the states. I'll look in to this.  Currently i pay 12,500 for the extension. No money in the bank and she takes care of the O-A insurance but i dont have a policy. Contrary to common belief the agents can be legal.    I talk with friends and a conversation that comes up is if go tits up here where would we go?  None of us want to go to the PI or Cambodia.Thailand is our home. So unfortunately immigration is still an active issue.

• Like 1