Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

A first and last!

Because of my lack of interest in food of a more refined level I rarely have much to say about it, however, there are those special times. Rarely in the annals of history has a restaurant theme been so apt as with my latest food foray. CHEAP CHARLIES is the old Queens Arms and I think for a short while a Retox property. It was totally renovated last year and obviously a lot of money spent. On that basis it is so bloody sad that they forgot staff training is part of the deal. “We busy” really wasn’t the reason that I was looking for and if you read the following, a couple of visits turned into ten and this could be why they were so busy! The only way to understand the experience is to list the moves.

1.      Sit there and eventually wave and get a menu. As expected, because it seems to be the norm the Daily Special was all sold out so back to the menu.

2.      Wave again for the lady who takes the order for a Large English breakfast at 139 baht.

3.      Long wait but eventually some toast arrives.

4.      More waiting and the meal arrives.

5.      No knife and fork wave and get the condiments but no knife and fork.

6.      Wave and get the pepper corn grinder.

7.      Wave and, yeah, knife and fork.

8.      Ask for my coffee and juice.

9.      The coffee arrives.

10.  The juice arrives (meal almost finished)

11.  Try in both English and Thai to get some sugar.

12.  Wait but it arrives.

13.  All the food has gone other than the accursed black pudding.

14.  Neighbour had seen my meal order and ordered the same. As I was leaving he still wasn’t served anything.

15.  Another wave from me but bugger it, just leave some money. No actual check bin but I believed what the menu stated.

16.  I head off into the night and my table neighbour is pacing the floor like an expectant father.

Because of the daily special being “All sold out” and the fact that they hadn’t noted this or deleted it, a few people came, sat and left. All I can suggest is that if you want to catch a meal at this place, do so now before they are foreclosed! The excellent Charlie Chaplin theme pieces at this restaurant are a reminder that the days of comedy relief are still with us.

Edited by teelack
poor formatting
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2