Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Thai Airways Suspend Flights

I noticed on FR24 that there's a BR067D (D designates a delayed follow on day flight for EVA planes), seems like EVA will have 2 planes in LHR today, I expect one will take the pax who didn't travel yesterday out this afternoon sometime.

Having recently returned with KLM to Amsterdam, I've been watching this departure; cancelled yesterday but departed today 8 minutes late but with an estimated flying time 2 hours longer than usual, so quite some diversion!

52 minutes ago, Steptoe said:

Having recently returned with KLM to Amsterdam, I've been watching this departure; cancelled yesterday but departed today 8 minutes late but with an estimated flying time 2 hours longer than usual, so quite some diversion!

And fuel costs.

Thai Airways are a bit of a pain in the bum but I think that I need to sympathise with them a bit. They really picked up their game for me and then the Rolls Royce engine debacle kicked in. I think that this is causing universal problems but may not be apparent. Many schedules are buggered by the issue. There old planes continue to get older and the replacements were supposed to handle some of the problems but the problems had babies!

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Just heard that Thai Airways  are to reduce the baggage allowance from 30 to 20 Kg.

Edited by jacko

Directly from Thai Airways web site. Note Silver FFS get additional 10 kg on TG flight sectors. Economy remains 30kg unless travelling on cheaper 'saver ' type tickets, rather like Emirates who limit it to 25kg.

Checked Baggage Policy by Piece Concept applicable to an International Sectors to/from USA/Canada

Destination Class Maximum weight / baggage (to avoid overweight baggage charge) Maximum checked bags Maximum dimension in total per bag (to avoid oversize baggage charge)
To/from USA and Canada First (Royal First) 32 kg (70 lbs) 2 158 cm (62 inches)
Business(Royal Silk) 32 kg (70 lbs) 2 158 cm (62 inches)
Economy 23 kg (50 lbs) 2 158 cm (62 inches)

Checked Baggage Policy by Weight Concept applicable to International Sectors within TC3 (Asia, Australia, New Zealand) , between TC2 (Europe, Africa, Middle East) and TC3 (Asia, Australia, New Zealand)

Categories Maximum Combined Weight of All Pieces
Royal First Class 50 kg (110 pounds)
Royal Silk Class 40 kg (88 pounds)
Premium Economy Class 40 kg (88 pounds)
Economy Class

30 kg (66 pounds)
* Except booking classes RBD L/ V/ W: 20 kg ( 44 pounds) for tickets issued from 01 Apr '19 and travelling on/ after 01 APR 19

A couple of months ago I booked a BKK-CNX flight with Thai and 20Kg allowance was already showing for domestic flights on the cheap tickets...... but since Mrs Fiend loves filling her cases full of Thai ingredients I paid for extra allowance on our return flight from CNX

Hopefully Qatar don't do an Emirates/Etihad and drop their baggage allowance down from 30Kg on the cheap tickets!!!

2 hours ago, TheFiend said:

A couple of months ago I booked a BKK-CNX flight with Thai and 20Kg allowance was already showing for domestic flights on the cheap tickets...... but since Mrs Fiend loves filling her cases full of Thai ingredients I paid for extra allowance on our return flight from CNX

Hopefully Qatar don't do an Emirates/Etihad and drop their baggage allowance down from 30Kg on the cheap tickets!!!

Don't think there's been any change on the domestic flights. If you are connecting from international flights and leave your old luggage labels on they are quite relaxed if you are a few kilo over. 

On 3/1/2019 at 4:00 PM, Steptoe said:

The route they took to get flights going again was north through China into russia and then hang a left for the UK. This was when indian airspace was closed.

However it seems the latest route is a slight tweak that avoids pakistan and kashmir by flying a little further south than normal but not as big a diversion as before.

F9577B1C-52D7-4204-B12E-6D2558C7ED19.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Yep a majority of Airlines are routing south of Indian and Pakistan, some now using Dubai as a refuel stop as it has added time to the journey.

Mrs Butch is heading out to the RP with Cathay next week, she got a 40 kg allowance in business, so always worth checking. 20kg is a bit mean to be honest, even though I usually come in at 17 kg on my outwards trips in econ, it's always nice to have a few kg spare in case you want to take something extra.

This might be a reaction for the EU-Thailand flights which are currently being re routed around India as it adds time and mileage to the journey, considering Thai run flights out of Frankfurt, UK, France and several other cities and in many cases , more than one service a day, just look at FR24 for flights heading into BKK between 0500 ad 0700 and you'll see what I mean.

Expect some others to follow suit in the coming weeks.

Edited by Butch
4 hours ago, thinkingallowed said:

Don't think there's been any change on the domestic flights. If you are connecting from international flights and leave your old luggage labels on they are quite relaxed if you are a few kilo over. 

Yes there has been a change... On my last couple of trips we've flown up to CNX from BKK with Thai and there was 30Kg allowance. This time when I went through the booking process the 20Kg allowance was showing on when I selected the fare.  I took the option off adding 10kg extra as it didn't add much onto the price of the return flight to BKK.

TG also allow us to check-in at CNX for our QR flight onwards from BKK even though that booking is separate from our TG booking.

I actually do have a Thai ticket (the great unwashed class)  for flights this month, but this will not impact me threefold.

Already bought it, fly before April 1st and for sure I don't want to be dragging 30kg around behind me!