Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Austrian?? Never again

I went out to Bangkok in February. Thought I would treat myself so bought a Premium Economy ticket on Austrian. I was a bit concerned about the connecting time in Vienna but was assured it would be sufficient. Well Austrian and Vienna airport were the biggest shamble I have ever seen and I have flown a bit !

Firstly the plane from Vienna that was to turn to be my plane was late. I enquired about the connecting flight again but was told once again by the check in that it would be fine.

It wasnt. The Heathrow to Vienna flight arrived into Vienna with 5 minutes before the scheduled flight to Bangkok.

I was told by email that there would be people at the arrival gate to advise where to go. There wasnt. It was chaos. Now I'm pretty sprightly and had studied previous Bangkok flights so had a rough idea where to go, I found a staircase leading up so ran balls out up them. To be confronted  by the most ridiculous pair of morons manning a security post. The girl on the X Ray machine hadnt a clue, she also looked like she hadnt washed for a month and her hair was that greasy I would suspect more than a month. 5 Tome the morns put me through their stupid Metal detector. eventualy they had me nearly strip before finally deciding to do a drugs test on my carry on bag. Finally letting me go I only just made it to the departure gate which was technically closed but I just flashed my boarding pass and walked past the zombie on the desk and onto the flight. 16 other passengers didnt make it and got dumped into a hotel for the night, then after spending 6 hours in Vienna they were shipped up to Frankfurt and out onto a Lufthansa flight to Bangkok

.So after getting to my 'Premium Economy' seat, which is simply an old Business class seat. I found myself sitting next to what looked like a 25 year old female snowflake. IN the entire 10 hour flight she spoke only one word when, friendly chap that I am, I asked her if her trip was for Business or Pleasure. She replied with her one word "Business" and that was that.

Now one of the reasons I wanted premium Economy was for the better food. WRONG. I chose the chicken. What turned up was a lump of meat, overcooked inedible and hard as iron. Next to it was a sea of mushy peas, or a better description would be a Mushy PEA with a lot of water. There was also 2 lonely what looked like tinned potatoes. It was disgusting. The breakfast was even worse.

I couldnt even stomach the idea of returning on that airline and bought myself an Eva Air flight, Good seat and good food.

Now my friend was due to follow me to Bangkok on Austrian the following day. True to form his flight from Heathrow to Vienna was late and as he arrived he watched the Bangkok flight taking off.

He was sent to a Hotel for the night and told the same story as the earlier passengers that he would be sent to Frankfurt then on to Bangkok. He refused and demanded a refund and a flight back to London. Then magically, they found a Thai flight the next day from Vienna. He is now currently chasing them for the 600 Euro's he is entitled to. He said the staff at Vienna Airport were rude and surly even though he was the one being dumped upon

Dont fly Austrian !!!! 

• Upvote 2
9 hours ago, Gottsy said:

Dont fly Austrian !!!! 

I always appreciate this type of feedback.

Is the problem all Austrian, or the inability of that shit-hole LHR to get an aircraft up on time?

I don't remember Vienna airport very well, other than it being a bit basic. Last time I flew via there I started in Manchester , I treated myself to Biz Class on Lauda Air, it was actually a class act! 

Presumably you bought the fare because it was cheaper than other offerings?

I remember a flat mate rejoicing how he had got a ticket from the UAE back to the UK for 50 quid less than mine. His was on Tarom (Rumanian airline in those days) and required three flight changes, whereas mine was direct. The only thing that didn't happen to him, was being asked to chip in for the fuel like some of those old Aeroflot horror stories......

It wasnt cheap. It was nigh on £200 more than the economy fare. I fell for Austrian's own publicity.about how good their Premium Economy was, and the responses they gave me by email.

On 3/18/2019 at 10:52 PM, jacko said:

Is the problem all Austrian, or the inability of that shit-hole LHR to get an aircraft up on time?

The issue is transit is very short have looked at Austrian/Swiss before they codeshare on many flights but even when a Heathrow motor pushes back bang on time it can be another half hour before wheels up. Austrian had a 50 minute transit connection and the problem is obvious

On 3/18/2019 at 11:52 PM, jacko said:

I always appreciate this type of feedback.

I don't remember Vienna airport very well, other than it being a bit basic. Last time I flew via there I started in Manchester , I treated myself to Biz Class on Lauda Air, it was actually a class act! 

Vienna airport is pretty new.  There is a security check on leaving the EU which was the hold-up the OP experienced.  When we flew a few years ago Austrian via Vienna, you could order business-class meals online in economy for a few euros extra which were pretty good.

I'm not sure what I would have answered if asked whether I was flying to Bangkok for "business or pleasure"..... does that make me a snowflake?  :cry4:

Edited by capdagde
5 hours ago, capdagde said:

Vienna airport is pretty new.  There is a security check on leaving the EU which was the hold-up the OP experienced.  When we flew a few years ago Austrian via Vienna, you could order business-class meals online in economy for a few euros extra which were pretty good.

I'm not sure what I would have answered if asked whether I was flying to Bangkok for "business or pleasure"..... does that make me a snowflake?  :cry4:

No sir,  the hold up was that the flight Into Heathrow was over half an hour late. I questioned the departure gate specifically if there was going to be a problem in Vienna and was told there wouldnt be. The only reason I got on the flight was that the Vienna  to Bankok flight was also late. If it had departed on time it would have departed 10 minutes before I arrived.

I was trying to be sociable to the snowflake, on the basis that we would be sitting next to each other for 10 Hours+. But dont panic I will never sit next to you. I do have some standards.?

Edited by Gottsy
  • Thanks 2

Always good to see reviews like this, sometimes what seems like what should be a good Airline turns out to be a pile of steaming turd. I've never flown Austrian, nor do I ever intend to on the basis of your experience. Trip Advisor reviews doesn't inspire much confidence either, as they also codeshare with Eurowings.

One to avoid, along with South African if you're ever going that way, unless you like being on a cramped 747 with rock hard seats, no IFE , shit food and Cabin Crew who think the whole world owes them a favour.

Despite EVA's LHR-BKK BR068 timekeeping bordering on the level of "piss take", along with their piss poor on the ground customer service, direct really is the best way to go to BKK nowadays IMO, as the in flight experience is very good.

Indeed so Butch. I only went Austrian as the Premium Economy was cheap compared to others and I fancied the extra leg room and more comfortable seat. Also I contected them 3 times about the connection in Vienna and told every time that there would be no problem. We live and learn