Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

I've eaten crocodile.  It was ok but I wouldn't rave about it. I'm not a great fan of seafood,  my wife is and she loved crocodile.  

I loved kangaroo, very nice meat.

3 hours ago, gs joe said:

Did you try it Baz ?

No. Don't eat much meat, and it didn't look very appetising - lot of fat on it. 

I agree with Bazle,  it looks far from appetizing there, actually it looks disgusting.

Tried croc in La.

I feel the same way with respect to eating bugs. Plenty of alternatives and I like to exist higher up the food chain (although a croc is well up there). What is next, freshly carved soi dog on 2nd Rd served on a baguette with BBQ sauce. That should get the morons out with their camera phones!

The stand in front of Central Festival has huge numbers of picture-takers (myself included), but I've never seen anyone buy any meat. I've had crocodile several times in Thailand and the U.S. The meat itself has a very mild flavor and usually all you taste is whatever spices/sauce have been used.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
23 hours ago, jacko said:

I agree with Bazle,  it looks far from appetizing there, actually it looks disgusting.

Tried croc in La.

I feel the same way with respect to eating bugs. Plenty of alternatives and I like to exist higher up the food chain (although a croc is well up there). What is next, freshly carved soi dog on 2nd Rd served on a baguette with BBQ sauce. That should get the morons out with their camera phones!

In La. that would most likely have been gator.

13 hours ago, Kev said:

Would taste the same wouldn't it?

Not sure but one is in murky swamp water and one typically in flowing rivers or the sea. Feed certain things to livestock and the meat can taste different. 'Gators are members of the crocodile family so you are probably correct.

There is an animal, the American crocodile, but I think it is only found in southern Florida or elsewhere in parts of Latin America. Maybe he did eat croc.

7 hours ago, midlifecrisis said:

Not sure but one is in murky swamp water and one typically in flowing rivers or the sea. Feed certain things to livestock and the meat can taste different. 'Gators are members of the crocodile family so you are probably correct.

There is an animal, the American crocodile, but I think it is only found in southern Florida or elsewhere in parts of Latin America. Maybe he did eat croc.

No, I believe you are correct and it was alligator. 

16 minutes ago, midlifecrisis said:

Honestly I have never tried it but would if I could. Or croc.

I was working there and one of the locals guys seemed to think it fun to bring me some fried alligator at lunchtime, me being 'foreign'.

Edited by jacko
On 5/2/2019 at 9:54 AM, Regyai said:

Tastes like (fishy) chicken

And very nice too.

Lidl had some crocodile steaks a few years ago, along with ostrich and kangaroo, from Australia I imagine, sold out quickly, but the French are quite adventurous, and will eat anything if it doesn't involve travel...... .

Edited by capdagde
On 5/2/2019 at 10:28 AM, Evil Penevil said:

The stand in front of Central Festival has huge numbers of picture-takers (myself included), but I've never seen anyone buy any meat. I've had crocodile several times in Thailand and the U.S. The meat itself has a very mild flavor and usually all you taste is whatever spices/sauce have been used.

Evil

Hi Uncle Evil

A bit like frogs' legs and land snails... think we'll have the latter for lunch tomorrow, with garlic, parsley, salted butter and black pepper.  The Lidl croc steaks were marinated in the same as I remember. 

Kangaroo, Emu and Ostrich are very nice meats.

Kangaroo is very low in cholesterol.  

Emu and Ostrich are both farmed here. 

Edited by awesum4
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, capdagde said:

And very nice too.

Lidl had some crocodile steaks a few years ago, along with ostrich and kangaroo, from Australia I imagine, sold out quickly, but the French are quite adventurous, and will eat anything if it doesn't involve travel...... .

Yeah those kangaroos are locally sourced. 

I'm fairly adventurous and will try to eat most anything, BUT, I draw the line at rats and insects. The girls tell me not to confuse rice rats with city rats. I see it as a rat is a rat regardless of where it came from. My wife doesn't eat rats because they are far more expensive than chicken, fish or pork.