Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Has anyone stayed at Base Apartments on Second Rd, soi 12. 

On Booking.com it's called Sea Sea apartments but the sign on the building says Base.  

I quite like the location, I can walk to soi LK or to beach road quite easily from there.

Apartment is 376 sq ft,  35m2,  so better than most hotel rooms.  It even has a washing machine in case I or a guest feel like doing my laundry.  

I quite like cooking and this gives me the option of cooking myself a feed of bacon and eggs in the morning if I so desire.

A pal of mine stays there. Very nice but at 28,000 baht a month there are better offers elsewhere especially if the lifts breaks down and you're on the 18th floor.

I looked at one 18 months or so ago....

The issue I had was not that it was 35sq m, but that they tried to cram 4 separate rooms into that space. Yes, you could walk down both sides of the bed....just. There were windows in the bedroom, but not the bathroom, or, more importantly for me, the sitting room. The latter relied on borrowed light from the bedroom and kitchen, and if you smuggled a cat in you certainly wouldn't be able to swing it. The kitchen was small, you'd struggle to get two people in it, and the balcony, off the kitchen, had space for the air con compressor and maybe one chair.

Imo it would have been better as a studio, but they wouldnt have sold for as much.

Small apartments, 35sq metres is ok for a studio but not a one bed IMHO. Also full of Chinese tourists. I see a queue of them waiting to check in by security every time I drive by.

39 minutes ago, tallguy said:

Small apartments, 35sq metres is ok for a studio but not a one bed IMHO. Also full of Chinese tourists. I see a queue of them waiting to check in by security every time I drive by.

Pretty well sums it up, and why I am not interested in renting there, even for a short term......

54 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

Pretty well sums it up, and why I am not interested in renting there, even for a short term......

I'm not familiar with the inside of those apartments, but if you are into cooking beware that a lot of places have little more than a kettle and microwave in their 'kitchen area', plus potential issues with smoke detectors.

If you like the location, why not try View Talay 6 next to Central Festival? Apartments are 48 sq M, easy access to Beach Road, parking for car/bike, kitchen area that you or a friend can cook properly, all other amenities, ie wifi, big TV, balcony easily big enough for table and 2 chairs and still space. Downstairs has shop, laundry, coffee shop, security, massage. You can definitely walk to Soi LK within 10-15 minutes. I book them for all my trips (here now!)

Hope that helps

KM

Thanks for the replies guys.

Keyman,

I just looked up View Talay 6,  on booking.com they are charging $900NZ for 3 nights,  Base is $150NZ.  $600 is 12,000 baht I can spend on food, drink and loose women. 

Bob,

They have lots and pans and large fridge and a stove from the photos.

I'm not worried about hordes of Chinese as long as they are reasonably quiet in the corridors outside my room. Actually i wouldn't mind shagging one of the females if i could separate her from the crowd.

I have booked for 3 nights only as i am planning on travelling to other places.

I have until July 24th to cancel if i find another better place,  so i am open to suggestions.

Edited by awesum4

Are you aware of the probable construction noise at The Base? 

They are building new towers next to The Base, on the corner of Soi Diana and Second Road. The demolition work is over, but I still expect it to be noisy for months to come. 

View Talay can be booked via Dancewatchers, who are expensive and have 'add-on's to the basic price, but I book through Honeys cafe - www.honeyscoffeehouse.com. There are also several other agencies renting condos. Condos are slightly cheaper on the Central Festival side (North) due to restricted view, but if you're only here for a few days, that shouldn't matter so much.

You're saying 3 nights at the Base is costing you 1,000 baht a night, well, for 3 nights at the end of July they are charging 3,200 baht for the 3 nights (not each night). the apartments are bigger, but up to you.

KM

Two more agencies operating at View Talay 6 (I have no idea of how good they are or what sort of discounts/addons they have) - www.thebestofvt6.com and www.viewtalay6rentalbypat42.com . this last one said to email her for specifics regarding booking - pimonphan_bh@hotmail.com, so I have a feeling she may give better rates than what the website shows.

KM

15 hours ago, awesum4 said:

I'm not worried about hordes of Chinese as long as they are reasonably quiet in the corridors outside my room

In my experience they don't make the best neighbours. I would go as far as to say I would deliberately avoid them. 

• Like 1

I stay at he Majestic every month to visit friends in Bangkok.  Several trips ago i had the misfortune of being across the hall from this group. They propped open the doors of several rooms and had a loud conversation and party late in the hallway.  

• 2 months later...

I am happy with Base. Huge place, 1,030 apartments. They are small but all I need.

Good location close to the action in Buakhow and Soi Diana etc.

Guest friendly.

Lots of Chinese and some Indians but I ignore them and they ignore me. Not had any noise problems. Some of the Chinese girls are really cute.

There is an infinity pool on the roof, 31st floor. I will check it out today.

Only thing that's weird is there is no reception. When you arrive you wait by the security gate and a lady comes get you. Any issues would be handled by ringing her, but so far I  have no issues.

On 6/2/2019 at 9:46 AM, keyman said:

View Talay can be booked via Dancewatchers, who are expensive and have 'add-on's to the basic price, but I book through Honeys cafe - www.honeyscoffeehouse.com. There are also several other agencies renting condos. Condos are slightly cheaper on the Central Festival side (North) due to restricted view, but if you're only here for a few days, that shouldn't matter so much.

You're saying 3 nights at the Base is costing you 1,000 baht a night, well, for 3 nights at the end of July they are charging 3,200 baht for the 3 nights (not each night). the apartments are bigger, but up to you.

KM

Hi KM

Did you need to give a deposit for the condo prior to booking, or pay the entire stay in advance?.

Cheers

Butch

I’ve just booked for 2 weeks in September. I pay a deposit by PayPal of 4,000 baht and the balance within 24 hours after I check in. They also require a deposit at the desk of 6,000 baht in case of damage, but this is returned on check out. They can also just take credit card details instead. 

Hope that helps. 

KM

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/8/2019 at 6:34 AM, awesum4 said:

I am happy with Base. Huge place, 1,030 apartments. They are small but all I need.

Good location close to the action in Buakhow and Soi Diana etc.

Guest friendly.

Lots of Chinese and some Indians but I ignore them and they ignore me. Not had any noise problems. Some of the Chinese girls are really cute.

There is an infinity pool on the roof, 31st floor. I will check it out today.

Only thing that's weird is there is no reception. When you arrive you wait by the security gate and a lady comes get you. Any issues would be handled by ringing her, but so far I  have no issues.

Well most people hate it. Once all the rental Chinese tourists have destroyed the new feel it will be a bargain basement for small condos for sale.

Race to the bottom as always with new condo builds

Fair enough we are all different.

I had no problem with the Chinese except for the dozens of young ones having fun in the infinity pool on the 31st floor. I dont like swimming with lots of people, they were there first, so I swam in the 3rd floor pool instead.

The location suited me, the condo was big enough for me and the occasional guest. But I certainly wouldn't want to live there for a long time.

There is heaps of accommodation in the area.

• 3 months later...

There are some terrible reviews on booking/ Agoda mainly about problems when they checked out, the room was gone over from top to bottom a mark on a towel was enough to lose the deposit (that you pay when you get the key evidently) anybody know any other place that has a microwave and top to do basic self catering?

I had no problem getting back my deposit as I didnt pay one. The only hassle is they dont have an office. When you arrive at the gate you ring them and someone meets you and takes you to the apartment. When I checked out I just rang the same woman and left the key in the room.

Different condos may be managed by different people.