Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Hi i have planned a trip from Pattaya to Kanchanaburi for a few days would you recommend that i hire a car and if so any recommendations that include good insurance and an  idea of prices also i will be accompanied by a Thai lady now there's a surprise ..555  she has a Thai licence so would it be better for her to drive or me ..as i want to do some exploring of the area ..thanks in advance  Ian .p.s will i need an international driving licence to drive in Thailand  Ian

Edited by martini9946
forgot some info

Can't really suggest anything to answer your first point. In regard to driver, it will always be better to have a Thai driving if there is a problem, but if you are in the car the BiB will still see you as a cash cow .....

The legal position is that most westerners do not require an IDP to drive in Thailand, but the BiB do not know the law and will try and rip you off for not having one. Some hire companies will say you need one, the more knowledgeable will say you do not, but that doesn't solve the dumb BiB problem.

Edited by Bob Belzy

Expat Car Rental has good condition vehicles.  They claim to have good insurance.  Fortunately, I never had cause to test that.  They did not require an IDP but were visibly happier when I produced one.  Going to Kanchanaburi,  you have to get around the north side of Bangkok.  If you have confidence in your lady's driving ability, you might do better with her taking control on that part of the drive.

An IDP costs just a few quid (7?) from the post office (not all) and gives you peace of mind if you're stopped, so i would suggest getting one.

There are a few people renting cars, just do a search on the forums.

KM

As above..An I.D.P. was only a fiver when I got one earlier in the year.

I drive a scooter in Pattaya...no way would I drive a car in Thailand!

Lots do , and seem to enjoy it...if it were me...Id let the day do the driving!

8 hours ago, martini9946 said:

Hi i have planned a trip from Pattaya to Kanchanaburi for a few days would you recommend that i hire a car and if so any recommendations that include good insurance and an  idea of prices also i will be accompanied by a Thai lady now there's a surprise ..555  she has a Thai licence so would it be better for her to drive or me ..as i want to do some exploring of the area ..thanks in advance  Ian .p.s will i need an international driving licence to drive in Thailand  Ian

Having your own vehicle makes traveling around much easier so I would say yes. Pool Hustler advertises on here and he rents out vehicles, both pickup truck and car. Usually about Weekly 6,000 baht, 1 Month 16,000 baht. There are always renters around the old Xcite disco area but these are ones with regular insurance and not renters cover. If you can stomach being a passenger with the imaginary pedals let her drive, but most of them are pretty bad! Bad for your nerves and I would say do it yourself. International driving licence required to keep the police happy. 

If you have never driven in Thailand before then the experienced lady should drive. The Thais do not follow the normal rules and cut corners, drive the wrong side of the road, refuse to put their lights on, negotiate roundabouts differently. As a passenger remain calm and don't criticise. Western driving techniques can cause accidents.

Sent from my ASUS_X00HD using Tapatalk

Or you could maybe find a woman with her own car. She is less likely to crash if it's not a rental.  Her insurance covers it if she does as long as you aren't paying her to drive you around.

If afterwards you give her a gift that more than covers her costs and her time everyone should be happy.

13 hours ago, awesum4 said:

Or you could maybe find a woman with her own car. She is less likely to crash if it's not a rental.  Her insurance covers it if she does as long as you aren't paying her to drive you around.

If afterwards you give her a gift that more than covers her costs and her time everyone should be happy.

Do you come across many that have their own cars? I have met a few but not many. They might actually own one, but it is in the village being used by a brother or father. 

3 minutes ago, jacko said:

Do you come across many that have their own cars? I have met a few but not many. They might actually own one, but it is in the village being used by a brother or father. 

Although still a minority I am sometimes surprised at just how many girls have cars. Only the other week I was sitting at a local beer bar and one of the quieter, older ladies was loading up her car to go home.

A mate was also telling me about a friend of his girlfriend who has recently bought a Toyota Fortuner to operate a taxi business.

The girls are getting richer, and it is not as rare as it was in the past for a girl to own a car. Granted there is often a falang involved somewhere.

31 minutes ago, jacko said:

Before my last trip I'd been talking to a lady from Bangkok.  She was a hairdresser not a bargirl.

The first 2 nights she took my wife and I out to restaurants. We were the only farang there, the staff didnt speak English. She had haircuts to do during the day. 

Then she took us to Ayuttha one day, and Nakhon Nayok the next.  Saw sights that definitely werent on the tourist trail.  

When we came back from Udon Thani she met us at the bus station and took us to Jomtein. I rented her (and her female friend) a room at the same place.

She took us to Nong Nooch gardens, Sanctuary of Truth and other places.   

I gave her 1000 a day plus I paid for everything. Was still cheaper than hiring a car and driver. Plus she was interesting and fun to be with. I like meeting Thais other than bargirls.

She took my wife shopping at various markets  which let me just go for a walk on my own.

She enjoyed an all expenses paid holiday and a bit of cash as well.

2 hours ago, jacko said:

I knew one BG several years ago that owned a car. Problem was she couldn't afford the loan payment and monthly rent, so she lived in her car. Seriously screwed up sense of priorities.

Edited by forcebwithu

I have it on good authority that it is fairly easy for a Thai to finance a car.  Making the payments can be a different matter

5 hours ago, nkped said:

I have it on good authority that it is fairly easy for a Thai to finance a car.  Making the payments can be a different matter

Hi,

Not just in LOS. A chap I know gave me a wave out of a brand new Range Rover the other day. He is not known for working hard.:D

https://www.lookers.co.uk/land-rover/new-cars/range-rover?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqI3l-MLe4gIVy53tCh0CBgaCEAAYAiAAEgJJ5PD_BwE

The new Range Rover Plug-in Hybrid Electronic Vehicle (PHEV) is now for sale, starting from £87,600, with CO2 emissions as low as 72g/km, providing an output of 404hp and delivering 0-60mph in 6.4 seconds. 

The Range Rover Vogue begins at £81,900 for the Vogue model, with features such as the Atlas grille mesh detailing and front bumper accent, and interior Windsor leather seats. 

Atlas designed the grille mesh on the new Range Rover Vogue.....he sure is multitalented 

On 6/6/2019 at 7:24 PM, martini9946 said:

I've driven here, it's not that bad.  As to an IDP. you'll have to get it in the UK, if you're here already. it's too late.

3 hours ago, wacmedia said:

Hi,

Not just in LOS. A chap I know gave me a wave out of a brand new Range Rover the other day. He is not known for working hard.:D

https://www.lookers.co.uk/land-rover/new-cars/range-rover?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqI3l-MLe4gIVy53tCh0CBgaCEAAYAiAAEgJJ5PD_BwE

The new Range Rover Plug-in Hybrid Electronic Vehicle (PHEV) is now for sale, starting from £87,600, with CO2 emissions as low as 72g/km, providing an output of 404hp and delivering 0-60mph in 6.4 seconds. 

The Range Rover Vogue begins at £81,900 for the Vogue model, with features such as the Atlas grille mesh detailing and front bumper accent, and interior Windsor leather seats. 

Leasing has put UK car ownership on its head

Any gobshite can now smoke around in a brand newie, who previously could never aspire to own one.

Merrily paying a few measly quid a month - drip feeding the depreciation (& the lessor's humble fees)

Thanks for all the advice went to the local uk post office with one passport photo and £5.50p two minutes later the proud owner of an international driving permit  and it  is now sitting safely in my suitcase for my july trip   ....Ian    

9 hours ago, Regyai said:

Any gobshite can now smoke around in a brand newie, who previously could never aspire to own one.

Merrily paying a few measly quid a month - drip feeding the depreciation (& the lessor's humble fees)

That's true, many an expensive Audi around! 

20 hours ago, Regyai said:

Hi, 

It will all blow up in their faces.

• 4 weeks later...

I constantly hear what bad drivers the Thais are. That may be true, BUT, they fail to mention how some lunatic farangs drive. I have seen the stupidest most dangerous driving by farangs.

• Like 1
On 6/7/2019 at 3:35 AM, marleyboy said:

I drive a scooter in Pattaya...no way would I drive a car in Thailand!

Different strokes for sure.

I feel lot's safer in a car than without any protection around me at all.

On 6/10/2019 at 7:40 PM, Regyai said:

I never found a leasing option that sounded good

On 6/11/2019 at 4:12 PM, wacmedia said:

Hi, 

It will all blow up in their faces.

For damn sure at the end of lease the Piper will extract his pound of flesh.

Edited by 9cisco999
42 minutes ago, 9cisco999 said:

I never found a leasing option that sounded good

For damn sure at the end of lease the Piper will extract his pound of flesh.

Not actual leasing, but you can rent for an extended period for a price which is not that bad.  Rented for six months, a walk around upon return and all was good.