Jump to content
Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hi i have planned a trip from Pattaya to Kanchanaburi for a few days would you recommend that i hire a car and if so any recommendations that include good insurance and an  idea of prices also i will be accompanied by a Thai lady now there's a surprise ..555  she has a Thai licence so would it be better for her to drive or me ..as i want to do some exploring of the area ..thanks in advance  Ian .p.s will i need an international driving licence to drive in Thailand  Ian

Edited by martini9946
forgot some info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Can't really suggest anything to answer your first point. In regard to driver, it will always be better to have a Thai driving if there is a problem, but if you are in the car the BiB will still see you as a cash cow .....

The legal position is that most westerners do not require an IDP to drive in Thailand, but the BiB do not know the law and will try and rip you off for not having one. Some hire companies will say you need one, the more knowledgeable will say you do not, but that doesn't solve the dumb BiB problem.

Edited by Bob Belzy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Expat Car Rental has good condition vehicles.  They claim to have good insurance.  Fortunately, I never had cause to test that.  They did not require an IDP but were visibly happier when I produced one.  Going to Kanchanaburi,  you have to get around the north side of Bangkok.  If you have confidence in your lady's driving ability, you might do better with her taking control on that part of the drive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An IDP costs just a few quid (7?) from the post office (not all) and gives you peace of mind if you're stopped, so i would suggest getting one.

There are a few people renting cars, just do a search on the forums.

KM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As above..An I.D.P. was only a fiver when I got one earlier in the year.

I drive a scooter in Pattaya...no way would I drive a car in Thailand!

Lots do , and seem to enjoy it...if it were me...Id let the day do the driving!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, martini9946 said:

Hi i have planned a trip from Pattaya to Kanchanaburi for a few days would you recommend that i hire a car and if so any recommendations that include good insurance and an  idea of prices also i will be accompanied by a Thai lady now there's a surprise ..555  she has a Thai licence so would it be better for her to drive or me ..as i want to do some exploring of the area ..thanks in advance  Ian .p.s will i need an international driving licence to drive in Thailand  Ian

Having your own vehicle makes traveling around much easier so I would say yes. Pool Hustler advertises on here and he rents out vehicles, both pickup truck and car. Usually about Weekly 6,000 baht, 1 Month 16,000 baht. There are always renters around the old Xcite disco area but these are ones with regular insurance and not renters cover. If you can stomach being a passenger with the imaginary pedals let her drive, but most of them are pretty bad! Bad for your nerves and I would say do it yourself. International driving licence required to keep the police happy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have never driven in Thailand before then the experienced lady should drive. The Thais do not follow the normal rules and cut corners, drive the wrong side of the road, refuse to put their lights on, negotiate roundabouts differently. As a passenger remain calm and don't criticise. Western driving techniques can cause accidents.


Sent from my ASUS_X00HD using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or you could maybe find a woman with her own car. She is less likely to crash if it's not a rental.  Her insurance covers it if she does as long as you aren't paying her to drive you around.

If afterwards you give her a gift that more than covers her costs and her time everyone should be happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, awesum4 said:

Or you could maybe find a woman with her own car. She is less likely to crash if it's not a rental.  Her insurance covers it if she does as long as you aren't paying her to drive you around.

If afterwards you give her a gift that more than covers her costs and her time everyone should be happy.

Do you come across many that have their own cars? I have met a few but not many. They might actually own one, but it is in the village being used by a brother or father. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jacko said:

Do you come across many that have their own cars? I have met a few but not many. They might actually own one, but it is in the village being used by a brother or father. 

Although still a minority I am sometimes surprised at just how many girls have cars. Only the other week I was sitting at a local beer bar and one of the quieter, older ladies was loading up her car to go home.

A mate was also telling me about a friend of his girlfriend who has recently bought a Toyota Fortuner to operate a taxi business.

The girls are getting richer, and it is not as rare as it was in the past for a girl to own a car. Granted there is often a falang involved somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, jacko said:

Do you come across many that have their own cars? I have met a few but not many. They might actually own one, but it is in the village being used by a brother or father. 

Before my last trip I'd been talking to a lady from Bangkok.  She was a hairdresser not a bargirl.

The first 2 nights she took my wife and I out to restaurants. We were the only farang there, the staff didnt speak English. She had haircuts to do during the day. 

Then she took us to Ayuttha one day, and Nakhon Nayok the next.  Saw sights that definitely werent on the tourist trail.  

When we came back from Udon Thani she met us at the bus station and took us to Jomtein. I rented her (and her female friend) a room at the same place.

She took us to Nong Nooch gardens, Sanctuary of Truth and other places.   

I gave her 1000 a day plus I paid for everything. Was still cheaper than hiring a car and driver. Plus she was interesting and fun to be with. I like meeting Thais other than bargirls.

She took my wife shopping at various markets  which let me just go for a walk on my own.

She enjoyed an all expenses paid holiday and a bit of cash as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jacko said:

Do you come across many that have their own cars? I have met a few but not many. They might actually own one, but it is in the village being used by a brother or father. 

I knew one BG several years ago that owned a car. Problem was she couldn't afford the loan payment and monthly rent, so she lived in her car. Seriously screwed up sense of priorities.

Edited by forcebwithu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have it on good authority that it is fairly easy for a Thai to finance a car.  Making the payments can be a different matter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.

5 hours ago, nkped said:

I have it on good authority that it is fairly easy for a Thai to finance a car.  Making the payments can be a different matter

Hi,

Not just in LOS. A chap I know gave me a wave out of a brand new Range Rover the other day. He is not known for working hard.:D

https://www.lookers.co.uk/land-rover/new-cars/range-rover?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqI3l-MLe4gIVy53tCh0CBgaCEAAYAiAAEgJJ5PD_BwE

The new Range Rover Plug-in Hybrid Electronic Vehicle (PHEV) is now for sale, starting from £87,600, with CO2 emissions as low as 72g/km, providing an output of 404hp and delivering 0-60mph in 6.4 seconds. 

The Range Rover Vogue begins at £81,900 for the Vogue model, with features such as the Atlas grille mesh detailing and front bumper accent, and interior Windsor leather seats. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Atlas designed the grille mesh on the new Range Rover Vogue.....he sure is multitalented 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2019 at 7:24 PM, martini9946 said:

Hi i have planned a trip from Pattaya to Kanchanaburi for a few days would you recommend that i hire a car and if so any recommendations that include good insurance and an  idea of prices also i will be accompanied by a Thai lady now there's a surprise ..555  she has a Thai licence so would it be better for her to drive or me ..as i want to do some exploring of the area ..thanks in advance  Ian .p.s will i need an international driving licence to drive in Thailand  Ian

I've driven here, it's not that bad.  As to an IDP. you'll have to get it in the UK, if you're here already. it's too late.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wacmedia said:

.

Hi,

Not just in LOS. A chap I know gave me a wave out of a brand new Range Rover the other day. He is not known for working hard.:D

https://www.lookers.co.uk/land-rover/new-cars/range-rover?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqI3l-MLe4gIVy53tCh0CBgaCEAAYAiAAEgJJ5PD_BwE

The new Range Rover Plug-in Hybrid Electronic Vehicle (PHEV) is now for sale, starting from £87,600, with CO2 emissions as low as 72g/km, providing an output of 404hp and delivering 0-60mph in 6.4 seconds. 

The Range Rover Vogue begins at £81,900 for the Vogue model, with features such as the Atlas grille mesh detailing and front bumper accent, and interior Windsor leather seats. 

Leasing has put UK car ownership on its head

Any gobshite can now smoke around in a brand newie, who previously could never aspire to own one.

Merrily paying a few measly quid a month - drip feeding the depreciation (& the lessor's humble fees)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the advice went to the local uk post office with one passport photo and £5.50p two minutes later the proud owner of an international driving permit  and it  is now sitting safely in my suitcase for my july trip   ....Ian    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Regyai said:

Leasing has put UK car ownership on its head

Any gobshite can now smoke around in a brand newie, who previously could never aspire to own one.

Merrily paying a few measly quid a month - drip feeding the depreciation (& the lessor's humble fees)

That's true, many an expensive Audi around! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Regyai said:

Leasing has put UK car ownership on its head

Any gobshite can now smoke around in a brand newie, who previously could never aspire to own one.

Merrily paying a few measly quid a month - drip feeding the depreciation (& the lessor's humble fees)

Hi, 

It will all blow up in their faces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...