Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Flying EVA eastbound tomorrow so went online to purchase wifi for the long flight.  To my distress got a message saying not available for my reservation.  Mucked around a bit and found you now purchase it on board.

• Upvote 1

That doesn't surprise me. I flew Alaska in March and it was similar. They were selling their own gateway product of sorts. Renting time on it would be more precise. I passed as it was a 2+ hour flight and I had a book.

Lets us know the details please (better than I can relay my experience). I am flying EVA in November. I am flying business class and am curious if they get it free or discounted or whatever. I'm very curious now that you've discovered this.

I've heard several reports the internet on EVA is pretty crappy, slow and expanses of no internet.

Just flew EVA out of Seattle Thursday morning in PE. There was two flights both to Taipei leaving within half hour of each. Our plane the later had very few passengers. In PE only 16 passengers with a capacity of 32 and Business appeared to have only a dozen passengers. Having flown EVA out of San Francisco for last 15 years, every flight was always at or near capacity. Three trips out of Seattle none anyway near capacity.

I found the current movie selection on EVA pretty good, a lot of movies haven't seen. 

Edited by CalEden
more info

EVA Wifi is crap, save your $$. I've read a lot of reports that since they stopped doing the pre pay and switched over to the on board purchase, the service has worsened, and it was never any good in the first place.

checking out their website, the IFE doesn't seem to be too bad at all. Failing that, download some movies to your phone as all the seats have charging points anyway. In PE they're in the middle of the two seats, a plug and a USB charger, in econ there is a plug under the seat along with a USB on the screen (I think).

• Upvote 1

Most of us sleep 8-10 hours, some commute 1-2 hours, some work where personal electronics are not allowed in the workplace for 4-5 hours at a stretch, and yet we all survive 5, 10, 15 hours with no wifi. Read a book, watch a movie and connect when you land. I get offered free wifi in business and first class and I don't use it. 

More to life than Facebook. I was sitting across from Red Point today on a really tired looking Soi 6 due to lack of punters. 100% of the girls were sitting out front with their noses buried in phones for IG or FB or whatever. Not appealing if one feels you are interrupting them. 

I have my Kindle. I am going to buy a tablet for music and videos and internet but with movies on the plane, and more on my tablet plus reading material, I can pass on internet access for a day each way. It seems like a poor business model for the airlines. I am curious if they make money this way. Add a couple of bucks to the cost of a ticket and offer it for free.

4 hours ago, midlifecrisis said:

I am curious if they make money this way. Add a couple of bucks to the cost of a ticket and offer it for free.

I was a regular Emirates traveler and they brought in Wi-Fi. Initially it was pay for, cheap for a block of data. Then they made it free in Biz Class. Wasn't much good, okay for Messaging Apps but not much more. Also a lot of dead expanses as we flew over the wilderness of Asia. Not worth the effort or frustration. Put the damned phone away and watch a film or get some sleep. Some MP4 files on the lappy works good. 

• Upvote 1

I turn off my phone completely on the plane. Read a book. Watch the inflight entertainment. Maybe play a few games on there. Talk to the people next to me if they are friendly. Try to sleep.

I dont need wifi on the plane or at the airport.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, awesum4 said:

I turn off my phone completely on the plane. Read a book. Watch the inflight entertainment. Maybe play a few games on there. Talk to the people next to me if they are friendly. Try to sleep.

I dont need wifi on the plane or at the airport.

Ditto me.

And I'm dreading the day when there is efficient wi-fi - everyone around will be jabbering!

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, Bazle said:

Ditto me.

And I'm dreading the day when there is efficient wi-fi - everyone around will be jabbering!

And those incessant beeps and bongs and favourite tunes.

4 minutes ago, midlifecrisis said:

lol

I can picture more people snapping on airplanes and we have enough of that as it is.

And the right to privacy? A picture of you asleep, drooling and clicking your false teeth goes viral before you land in London!

17 hours ago, jacko said:

And the right to privacy? A picture of you asleep, drooling and clicking your false teeth goes viral before you land in London!

a bit too paranoid for me.

Edited by midlifecrisis
11 hours ago, jacko said:

And those incessant beeps and bongs and favourite tunes.

I use earplugs and Bose noise cancelling headphones,about as quite as it's possible to be on a full aircraft.tablet full of books or pick up a new book at the airport.life is easy.

On 6/9/2019 at 3:40 AM, Butch said:

EVA Wifi is crap, save your $$. I've read a lot of reports that since they stopped doing the pre pay and switched over to the on board purchase, the service has worsened, and it was never any good in the first place.

checking out their website, the IFE doesn't seem to be too bad at all. Failing that, download some movies to your phone as all the seats have charging points anyway. In PE they're in the middle of the two seats, a plug and a USB charger, in econ there is a plug under the seat along with a USB on the screen (I think).

Yes, the wifi trans-Pacific sucked.  Absent a need to communicate one to one, not social media, I would say not worth it.