Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Where to stay for a 4-week trip?

It's been 20 years since I've been in Pattaya. In the past, I often stayed in the Sabai Lodge (in Soi 2). I especially liked the 2-person walk-in shower. I dislike bath tubs (inherently dangerous).

But, alas, Soi 2 is no longer what it once was: the beer bar complex is gone. The Welkom Inn is gone (along with the open-air restaurant that shared the same covered eating area with the short-time brothel).

My preferences:
1) A shower big enough for two
2) Something in Soi Buakhao

Since I will be in town from about July 15 - Aug 15 (low season), maybe my best bet is to simply reserve a room for 3-4 days and then explore room options
My accommodation budget is 1000 - 2000 baht / night.

Suggestions?

26 minutes ago, teelack said:

My guess is that the Areca will still have their 990 baht special running and this would be my pick based on the area that you want and what you want to pay. 

1) The Areca has the standard shower-over-the-tub. I want a stand-alone shower
2) Their promotion for the Standard room(no breakfast) is 1604 baht / night

Maybe I ought to consider a condo instead of a hotel

23 minutes ago, sabaidii2 said:

1) The Areca has the standard shower-over-the-tub. I want a stand-alone shower
2) Their promotion for the Standard room(no breakfast) is 1604 baht / night

Maybe I ought to consider a condo instead of a hotel

By no means am I saying that you are wrong. Working on the basis that it is 20 years since you have been in Pattaya I wonder if you are aware that this place now stretches from Soi Diana to Soi 15. That's a hell of a lot of construction since you were last in town. 

I've made a decision: 4 nights at the Sabai Lodge in Soi 2 because I've been there. That will give me enough time to explore other places. Thanks for your input Teelack. And your travel adventures.

Edited by sabaidii2
Typo
I've made a decision: 4 nights at the Sabai Lodge in Soi 2 because I've been there. That will give me enough time to explore other places. Thanks for your input Teelack. And your travel adventures.
Good plan and one that I usually recommend. Take a look at Soi Diana as there are 3 good hotels but a ten minute walk gets you to Soi 10 which is all hotels and of a decent class. (except for the Sawadee!). Soi Honey has a couple of decent places now and slap bang in the middle of the area is the Base. By the way. At the top of Soi 2 are 2 music bars next to each other and they both have bands trying to outdo the other. To add to the mayhem another band was playing flat out across the road at the Big C mall. Don't write the area around Soi 2 off as there are a heap of bars in the vicinity including Drinking Street. Finally, there are 2 quality places on Second and 2. Siam Siam and Sabai Empress.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, teelack said:

... By the way. At the top of Soi 2 are 2 music bars next to each other and they both have bands trying to outdo the other. To add to the mayhem another band was playing flat out across the road at the Big C mall. Don't write the area around Soi 2 off as there are a heap of bars in the vicinity including Drinking Street.

Sounds like I might never make it to Walking Street. Which would be OK.

4 hours ago, teelack said:

At the top of Soi 2 are 2 music bars next to each other and they both have bands trying to outdo the other. 

Are you sure about that Teelack?

From memory, at the top of Soi 2 is Siam@Siam hotel on one side, and a soapy massage place on the other.

10 hours ago, sabaidii2 said:

It's been 20 years since I've been in Pattaya. In the past, I often stayed in the Sabai Lodge (in Soi 2). I especially liked the 2-person walk-in shower. I dislike bath tubs (inherently dangerous).

But, alas, Soi 2 is no longer what it once was: the beer bar complex is gone. The Welkom Inn is gone (along with the open-air restaurant that shared the same covered eating area with the short-time brothel).

My preferences:
1) A shower big enough for two
2) Something in Soi Buakhao

Since I will be in town from about July 15 - Aug 15 (low season), maybe my best bet is to simply reserve a room for 3-4 days and then explore room options
My accommodation budget is 1000 - 2000 baht / night.

Suggestions?

If you can tolerate being just on the other side of 2nd road, I like The Whitehouse Condotel over near Soi 13 next to the Dynasty. You can book it routinely through Agoda for around 1100 Baht/night with breakfast included. Rooms have stand alone showers, i.e., no tubs to stumble in as in the Areca.

On Agoda the Whitehouse 1100 Baht/night rate comes in with Agoda's fees included at roughly 1300 Baht.

From memory, at the top of Soi 2 is Siam@Siam hotel on one side, and a soapy massage place on the other.
Ok I give in. Empress is at the top of Soi 1.

15 hours ago, sabaidii2 said:

Go for Sabai Wing. Same location but newer and better rooms. You can also have a walk-in shower. :thumbup

4 hours ago, monkeyman said:

Go for Sabai Wing. Same location but newer and better rooms. You can also have a walk-in shower. :thumbup

Excellent suggestion. Thanks.

Stayed here at stutus court on soi   Buakhao twice and could not fault it great location less than a five minute walk to lk metro two mins walk to retox bar for the best full english breakfast 99 bhat here a you tube video of the area    

also a link to the web hotel web site http://www.sutuscourt.com/ i booked through booking .com and got a good price hope this helps ..Ian

Edited by martini9946
missed information
15 hours ago, Bazle said:

There is Drinking St near that end of Soi 2, but last time I was looking around that area, not so many bars to be found. A long way from the busy beer bar complexes of old.

3 hours ago, English Rose on the Poon said:

My name is Alan and I have the English Rose on the poon..I have rooms available for your dates..have a look at them on my site englishrosepattaya.com

Cheers

Alan.

It would be useful to have prices listed on your website to give anyone an idea of what you charge without having to go through the rigmarole of making a reservation?

Just makes it easier to decide if they want to apply or not.

KM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
11 hours ago, keyman said:

It would be useful to have prices listed on your website to give anyone an idea of what you charge without having to go through the rigmarole of making a reservation?

Just makes it easier to decide if they want to apply or not.

KM

I understand there may be reasons prices are not indicated, but even a range between cheapest rooms in low season and dearest rooms for the same period, plus a similar range for high season would be of benefit, and you could add that an email or phone call "COULD" find occasional 'specials'.  As mentioned above, it does make such choices much easier.

I understand there may be reasons prices are not indicated, but even a range between cheapest rooms in low season and dearest rooms for the same period, plus a similar range for high season would be of benefit, and you could add that an email or phone call "COULD" find occasional 'specials'.  As mentioned above, it does make such choices much easier.
I have racked my brain and can't think of any reason why prices would not be shown. I guess that 99% of hotels etc are on Agoda and suchlike and they all manage to put prices on the rooms. Personally, nothing would get me anywhere near a place where I wasn't 100 % clear on the pricing structure.

Obviously you need to get around more and talk to owners. In this case I doubt the owner has yet attached to a big provider such as Bookings.com, but it could be in the pipeline. Then, he/she cannot offer a room at a price lower than that company posts on the web.  They can, if not publicised.  I left myself (and the owner) a bit of space by saying that "there may be reasons" and I think that that could feasibly be one reason....  (but of course maybe the owners I have spoken to are bullshitting me). 

16 minutes ago, English Rose on the Poon said:

In response to the last few posts it was very remiss of not to include rates..these can be viewed through both booking.com and agoda.

Alan

English Rose

There are still some people that like dealing direct rather than through websites like booking.com and agoda, so website listed rates are helpful for those people.

Recently I've been booking accommodation in Pattaya by clicking through a cashback site to expedia.com

On 6/16/2019 at 1:26 AM, teelack said:

My guess is that the Areca will still have their 990 baht special running and this would be my pick based on the area that you want and what you want to pay. 

I didn't know about that.... thanks.

3 hours ago, yorta2 said:

Obviously you need to get around more and talk to owners. In this case I doubt the owner has yet attached to a big provider such as Bookings.com, but it could be in the pipeline. Then, he/she cannot offer a room at a price lower than that company posts on the web.  They can, if not publicised.  I left myself (and the owner) a bit of space by saying that "there may be reasons" and I think that that could feasibly be one reason....  (but of course maybe the owners I have spoken to are bullshitting me). 

As a host on Booking, booking adds 17% onto my prices when I rent out (I don't drop mine by 17%).  My website has the prices available MINUS the "booking" commission.   So not really a rule of thumb.

I think the couple of days booked in advance plus a "bahtbusabout" or walkabout search on the ground is great in low season, or a websearch for "specials" (see teelack's post) when on the ground.

Of course this year I've gone against my own rules and booked a place for 23 nights..... doh!

Saw this place on YouTube yesterday, a maybe base for later 3-month stays - but there's a big cock....

Edited by capdagde
  • Upvote 1
6 hours ago, English Rose on the Poon said:

In response to the last few posts it was very remiss of not to include rates..these can be viewed through both booking.com and agoda.

Alan

English Rose

How about offering a discount for board members if they book directly with you?