Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

The next stage of Low Season

On 7/2/2019 at 9:19 AM, Chang_paarp said:

From a personal opinion, there are a few folk to get the memo that a customer needs to be nurtured. Mr Egg and his crew have it right, on the other hand...

I was wandering around Jomtien looking for some company, there were bars with ladies most had no or one customer, it seems that the use by date for bar workers has has blown out from mid 30's ish to, will wear a dress and has a pulse. There are some out there who should really be collecting the pension. 

So, while on my research trip I ended up at a bar with five  ladies and no customers, with several looking OK. I stopped for a drink, It became apparent that one of the ladies was the boss, not entertaining customers, OK down to four with two in over 5/10 range. One was on the phone to the sponsors trying to raise funds to pay room, ignoring the potential donor sitting in front of her. The other possible was on the phone to some family member, and the conversation was not going well from the sound of the conversation, I did not understand what was being said but got the gist of the conversation. So after being ignored by the staff I paid my bin and moved on.

Then they wonder why we don't want to spend our money with them. 

Absolutely spot on, practically every bar you go in these days.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I concur with Jacko's depressing but realistic view of the future in Patts. I've long ceased to go to agogos except on crawls, there is an air of desperation rather than fun in many beer bars, and my

Cheers Butch. Last night I again visited LKM where I observed the difference between a successful bar and what must be a failing one. The successful one was obviously Billabong where they play a

I feel the tourist industry will survive, but not as we know it. What the farang comes for will become less and less of the scene. Pattaya is turning into a huge, traffic choked shopping Mal

On 8/1/2019 at 5:39 PM, Bakwahn said:

Why do so few western sanuk tourists come in low seasons?
The extended question must be: Why do fewer and fewer western tourists come to Thailand even in high season?

The reasons have all been mentioned:

* The bad exchange rate; strong Baht, weak US-Dollar, Pound, Euro etc.
* The high prices for drinks in the bars
* The extremely expensive prices for Ladydrinks, barfines and for the girls

Let's be honest:
The average Western tourist can hardly afford such prices any more.
For a Pattaya day with beach life on the day, dinner and supper, in the evening barhopping with drinks and ladydrinks, then barfine and a girl for the night you need about 300 US Dollars or 280 Euros. Please round about. The exact height depends on the individual eating and drinking habits of the individual.

Also this discussion - this thread - is carried by a certain sobriety and disappointment.

There have been info- and discussion-boards on the internet like this one for about 25 years now.
The spirit of optimism, the expectant atmosphere and the rosy euphoria of the first 15 years have given way to sobriety and disillusion. In the years 1993-1996 many discussion boards like this one started with lots of energy and optimism. In the last 8 – 5 years or so, a certain “disenchantment of the Siam sanuk-scene” has been gaining ground. The good old cheap times are gone forever and with these vanished times a New Sobriety coupled with a depressed atmosphere rule now. And all boards are not as agile, as lively as before. That affects all boards, both German and international English. Many boards died in the meantime.

Live from Duesseldorf
Bakwahn

So you spend 9,100 bhat a day???? What are you throwing money around like you're a king??? 

Secondly, finding hot girls who FL are easy to find on thaifriendly  Some of them are girls who work at bars.  The MOST Ive been quoted was 5000 LT  MANY can be found for WELL under that.  Insteady of WHINING about it, recognize it for what it is... an opporunity to see girls having to lower prices.  Only the wealthy Koreans and chinese can afford to pay out the money you are citing...

You're right the market place is changing and those who fail to adapt accordingly will be both puzzeled and disinchanted.  More, and more girls are cutting bars out... frankly either the bars adjust and the girls stop seeking insane amounts of money or they go broke

• Downvote 1
13 hours ago, dantes said:

So you spend 9,100 bhat a day???? What are you throwing money around like you're a king??? 

Secondly, finding hot girls who FL are easy to find on thaifriendly  Some of them are girls who work at bars.  The MOST Ive been quoted was 5000 LT  MANY can be found for WELL under that.  Insteady of WHINING about it, recognize it for what it is... an opporunity to see girls having to lower prices.  Only the wealthy Koreans and chinese can afford to pay out the money you are citing...

You're right the market place is changing and those who fail to adapt accordingly will be both puzzeled and disinchanted.  More, and more girls are cutting bars out... frankly either the bars adjust and the girls stop seeking insane amounts of money or they go broke

He might have that kind of money to throw around. I spend and budget much more on holiday than I do during my normal everyday life, many guys save hard for their pattaya trips because they want to enjoy themselves free from the constraints of daily penny pinching.

Many TG's won't lower their prices back to what they used to be years ago. The impression that all farang can afford it and are rich is still very established in their mindset, so instead of them looking and thinking they are lowering their prices to get you to go with them, they are looking at it from the point of view as to why should they lower their prices, the farang can afford to come here for his holiday, so he can afford pussy as well. They're not expecting guys to come to Pattaya, stay in a decent Hotel or room and then not have the cash to p4p.

TG's would rather go broke than drop their prices, and in fact Thai logic 101 dictates that the average girl will increase her price if she hasn't had many customers that month.

Also, TG's adapt their prices to the market they are serving, which is why it's going to cost you 5k baht for a WS GGG and the same girl in Insomnia 3 hours later might quote 2k, they don't see it as lowering their price, they see it as adapting to the market. That is, of course to us, completely odd but to the workings of a TG, it makes perfect sense.

So in summary of my slightly self contradictory post, yes the girls adapt and lower their price to the market they are serving, but getting them to drop the price they quoted to you at the time is something else altogether, very often something they are not prepared to do, or if they did so, not by a massive amount.

Luckily I don't suffer from the headache of all this as I quit mongering ages ago, but still go to Pattaya two or three times a year if I can.

Edited by Butch
  • Upvote 1

I'd be interested to know what forums took off in the 1993-1996 period that Bakwhan was on about  ??

Perhaps out and out German boards maybe  ?? First one I can recall that could be labelled British was that Yellow Board that we mention occasionally around 1999-2001 era ??

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Rawhide2 said:

I'd be interested to know what forums took off in the 1993-1996 period that Bakwhan was on about  ??

Perhaps out and out German boards maybe  ?? First one I can recall that could be labelled British was that Yellow Board that we mention occasionally around 1999-2001 era ??

I think there was actually a German board back then. The freelancer bar forum was up around 97/98 I think or possibly earlier, Pete having the foresight to use the Internet to promote a business.  Ben started working in FLB in or around 99/00. Although my memory is hazy about that so may well be wrong.

There were a lot more German and Scandinavian bars as well, I recall several of them on the Naklua road. Most mongers seemed to be from the EU rather than the USA back then as well. I always enjoyed my visits to the "Belgian Embassy"...

22 minutes ago, Butch said:

I think there was actually a German board back then. The freelancer bar forum was up around 97/98 I think or possibly earlier, Pete having the foresight to use the Internet to promote a business.  Ben started working in FLB in or around 99/00. Although my memory is hazy about that so may well be wrong.

There were a lot more German and Scandinavian bars as well, I recall several of them on the Naklua road. Most mongers seemed to be from the EU rather than the USA back then as well. I always enjoyed my visits to the "Belgian Embassy"...

I remember doing a search one time about Pattaya, and some of the results were from a German website.  Some of the girls looked familiar, but I didn't pay much attention to the board at the time because it was in German.  This was 15 years ago or more.

• Like 1

Joined FBL site around 1999 / 2000 I think (may be a bit later - not sure) - when warming up before a long overdue visit. Found the below links that are interesting to reminisce with.

https://web.archive.org/web/20060115000000*/http://www.flbbar.com

https://web.archive.org/web/20051214180508/http://www.flbbar.com:80/gallery/

Down memory lane.

I first joined Pattayatalk forum in 1998, after Pattaya Pate went on TSM Travel (another board I was on at the time) extolling the virtues of Pattaya, and explaining what he was trying to do with FLB.

I dropped from the scene in 2001, forgot all my passwords (my log in was rgee, I think) and re-joined PT around 2007.

1998 to 2000- a lot of tourists in Pattaya, cheaper than Bangkok. Punter boards just starting. Fun times. I only visited in what was called the low season- all the beer bars in Soi 8 were still fill.