Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Would you fly EVA again?.

This year has not been kind to EVA, earlier on we had an issue whereby a member of CC was forced to wipe the arse of a passenger, which, to me highlighted a serious failing in Junior managment (the regular CC was made to do it, it should have been the most senior member of CC , not the lowest - that smacks of poor leadership) It also demonstrated that the passenger was not treated as he should have been, that being as an unruly or non cooperative one. One would ask why the Captain did not intervene in this instance.

EVA airs comments on this event were typically defensive but the reality of the situation has been reported as being different. Reports suggest the CC Member didn't really have a choice.

Secondly, we have seen numerous serious delays. One EVA flight was 2 days late out of LHR back in Feb, and since then there has also been another 18 hr + delay. EVA's flights from LHR and even Amsterdam have been consistently late inward and outward for at least the previous year or more. They only have a 37% frequency of being on time on that journey.

We also see 10 abreast seating in Econ and the loss of a toilet in the rear, a decline in on board service and absolutely abysmal Customer Service on the ground.

Now, this global strike has entered a new phase because talks have broken down, so we will see more disruption. It is damaging the Airline exponentially, and given the unreliability (which to many comes before price point), previous customers like myself will be leaving in our droves.

If we make a comparison to the other two direct Carriers from the UK, Thai and BA, we see that Thai are almost spot on with their departure and arrival times twice a day. No staff disruption and from what I gather, a good CS base in the UK, BA, again, not without its problems and always slightly more expensive than the others, with good times, but an abysmal reputation in the Air and on the ground, however, delays are minimal and overall a well timed service - that has to count for something.

After this, we have the other carriers, non direct and mostly ME. All pretty reliable with good CS, good timings and good economy products. People seem to be of the concensus that they would rather get to their holidays in Thailand slightly later, than not at all. Hopefully one of the Airlines will capitalise on this bad fortune EVA is having, and offer another direct LHR or European service to BKK.

Be interesting to read BM's thoughts and opinions on this.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When i fly for me its about cost most, i only fly 2 times a year as live here , i go back uk 10 oct for 2 weeks , just booked thai air come back 27 oct cost £526 return 

I flew in on THAI 2 days ago, although I’ve flown into Nagoya since then, and THAI are charging £80 for the bulkhead seat on board the flight! Cash to the chief steward onboard! If you try and move in

I think it was mentioned earlier but Thai Airways now charges for exit row/bulkhead seats. I asked a check in (as I always do) to change to an exit row and she told me they now charge 100$ (I was in H

At first, when this happened I was going into my 'bloody unions' speech. Strange as I was a bit of a unionist in my youth, was even a rep for a while in one job. Then I sort of realized I was working to make money and it was often counter productive to jeopardize the very survival of the company you worked for. I felt this particularly in public services. I got angry if British Rail had a dispute affecting me, the annual French Air Traffic Controllers dispute in the midst of holiday season too! So Butch's comments has made me feel something was badly wrong in  the way Eva treated their staff.  But stranding someone far from home is a heinous consequence of the dispute.

I don't think  I ever flew Eva. China Air a few times. As I go to and from Manchester there are never any direct options, I have a hate of Heathrow Airport (and BA), after many miles with them of slow deterioration. So, with a connection obligated, I have choice a plenty. Never a good idea to mix carriers so Eva from Amsterdam never happened. 

Eva might even go belly up because of this, mainland carriers will be very happy.

I don't find BA competitive, for me their timings are bad. They land in the UK a bit late in the day, you are trying to get the last shuttle up to Manchester. By that time it has accrued a good bit of delay. Shuttle passengers get treated like sheep at Heathrow. What use is arriving in Manchester at near 11pm with 25 more miles to go, I am going to get mugged! 

Packed on a little bus at LHR with Eastern European holidaymakers and having to walk in the rain to an ancient 777, queue on the steps, and that is Biz Class. Why would I even think to try that, rather than the wonderful Emirates A380 from Manchester! Straight from lounge to wide seat and a glass of bubbly. A choice of timings. 

No, a reputation of long delays and the odd cancellation will keep me away from EVA. A pity, I remember those Taiwanese stewardesses were cute and attentive. 

• Upvote 1

I will stick with Thai airways.

I used to fly Eva for a good few years....I didnt like the flight arrival times coming back to Heathrow though.

For me..I prefer Thai...I like the A380......Can usually book a decent..(ish!) seat...the flight times are good for me too.

10 seats across on the 777 isnt good either!  I did fly with Qatar a couple of years ago......they were decent..at my age though! I much prefer a direct flight.....which really only gives me Thai, or Eva..or.....B.A......No thanks! (though I was recently thinking about using their "premium economy" whatever its called.....)  think I will stick with Thai for the time being though.

Eva were quite decent a fair few years ago...cracking lookign flight attendants, and the pot noodle type things were good too!

Co-incidental to the present problems, I too used to fly BR but have been flying TG for the past few years.

My reasons were that Eva Economy was always too full and the Elite class was too expensive with a poor cabin layout.

Since the recent changes I can never see myself flying with Eva in Economy again.

My Thai flights last year were very busy, even in midweek, I think the flights may have become more busy because of the Star Alliance or whatever it's called.

BA, I have never really considered in Economy but if their old 777's are being refurbished I would consider Premium Economy if the fare was good.

16 years ago I use to feel good flying to BKK in Eva's Evergreen Class, access to The SAS London Lounge and treated very well, not so nowadays with the sound of things.

7 minutes ago, Gus said:

Co-incidental to the present problems, I too used to fly BR but have been flying TG for the past few years.

My reasons were that Eva Economy was always too full and the Elite class was too expensive with a poor cabin layout.

Since the recent changes I can never see myself flying with Eva in Economy again.

My Thai flights last year were very busy, even in midweek, I think the flights may have become more busy because of the Star Alliance or whatever it's called.

BA, I have never really considered in Economy but if their old 777's are being refurbished I would consider Premium Economy if the fare was good.

16 years ago I use to feel good flying to BKK in Eva's Evergreen Class, access to The SAS London Lounge and treated very well, not so nowadays with the sound of things.

Two things make EVA my airline of choice. The first is lower business class faires. The second is that my flight arrives around midday.

I would fly easyjet never mind Eva if they done a direct flight from MAN-BKK.

You guys in London and the south east dont know how lucky you have it. Having 3 airlines serve direct flights to BKK.

• Upvote 1

I have been flying with EVA round trip from Vancouver in premium economy for almost thirteen years now, with the occasional very welcome upgrade to business class, but when I tried booking a flight for this coming winter I was able to book my outgoing flight in November easily but their online site would not let me book a return in April - I called their Vancouver office to ask why and was informed that starting in February they will be using a 787 Dreamliner on that route that will only have two classes, economy and business; since I cannot afford their business fares it was time for me to say byebye and I have booked my next flight on Cathay Pacific instead, in premium economy - I'm looking forward to it, I've been wanting to  try that airline for years and the price isn't much different than I was paying for EVA....

8 hours ago, nkped said:

Yes, due to premium economy.

Ditto me.

42 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

.... they will be using a 787 Dreamliner on that route that will only have two classes, economy and business; 

Oh!! That's a shame. 

I hope that fate does not befall the LHR/BKK route.

3 hours ago, maipenrai said:

I have been flying with EVA round trip from Vancouver in premium economy for almost thirteen years now, with the occasional very welcome upgrade to business class, but when I tried booking a flight for this coming winter I was able to book my outgoing flight in November easily but their online site would not let me book a return in April - I called their Vancouver office to ask why and was informed that starting in February they will be using a 787 Dreamliner on that route that will only have two classes, economy and business; since I cannot afford their business fares it was time for me to say byebye and I have booked my next flight on Cathay Pacific instead, in premium economy - I'm looking forward to it, I've been wanting to  try that airline for years and the price isn't much different than I was paying for EVA....

According to their website, they  are still running the 777 on the Taipei-Seattle route in April next year.

On 7/1/2019 at 12:03 AM, jacko said:

At first, when this happened I was going into my 'bloody unions' speech. Strange as I was a bit of a unionist in my youth, was even a rep for a while in one job. Then I sort of realized I was working to make money and it was often counter productive to jeopardize the very survival of the company you worked for. I felt this particularly in public services. I got angry if British Rail had a dispute affecting me, the annual French Air Traffic Controllers dispute in the midst of holiday season too! So Butch's comments has made me feel something was badly wrong in  the way Eva treated their staff.  But stranding someone far from home is a heinous consequence of the dispute.

I don't think  I ever flew Eva. China Air a few times. As I go to and from Manchester there are never any direct options, I have a hate of Heathrow Airport (and BA), after many miles with them of slow deterioration. So, with a connection obligated, I have choice a plenty. Never a good idea to mix carriers so Eva from Amsterdam never happened. 

Eva might even go belly up because of this, mainland carriers will be very happy.

I don't find BA competitive, for me their timings are bad. They land in the UK a bit late in the day, you are trying to get the last shuttle up to Manchester. By that time it has accrued a good bit of delay. Shuttle passengers get treated like sheep at Heathrow. What use is arriving in Manchester at near 11pm with 25 more miles to go, I am going to get mugged! 

Packed on a little bus at LHR with Eastern European holidaymakers and having to walk in the rain to an ancient 777, queue on the steps, and that is Biz Class. Why would I even think to try that, rather than the wonderful Emirates A380 from Manchester! Straight from lounge to wide seat and a glass of bubbly. A choice of timings. 

No, a reputation of long delays and the odd cancellation will keep me away from EVA. A pity, I remember those Taiwanese stewardesses were cute and attentive. 

China air stopped the direct Amsterdam Bangkok flights September 2016 that left KLM and EVA with direct flights,KLM are now charging €50 each leg for checked luggage for their basic economy not sure if you have to pay for seat selection, but they usually worked out about €100 more than EVA so I flew with them,now they are charging for seat selection I'm guessing at €28 a leg ,they offer a maze of 6! different seats in economy.when I paid just over €600 for a direct return trip it seemed like a good deal it now looks like it's going to be about €750 with seat selection, that and the exchange rate and my general dissatisfaction with Thailand make a trip this winter unlikely if it's going to happen I may try Vietnam. 

17 hours ago, nkped said:

According to their website, they  are still running the 777 on the Taipei-Seattle route in April next year.

They've been using 777's from the American west coast (Seattle, San Francisco and LAX) for years but used a 747 out of Vancouver up until one or two years ago when that route too was changed to a 777; I've flown through Seattle once on a points flight with EVA but don't wish to do so out of pocket as it adds money, time and hassle to an already long trip....

43 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

They've been using 777's from the American west coast (Seattle, San Francisco and LAX) for years but used a 747 out of Vancouver up until one or two years ago when that route too was changed to a 777; I've flown through Seattle once on a points flight with EVA but don't wish to do so out of pocket as it adds money, time and hassle to an already long trip....

They flew those 747's for every penny they could extract from us. One of their last years flying to SFO using them, we took off from Taipei and I have never been in such a rattle trap, even old jalopies. We still had a few of those in my youth. Cars were strictly mechanical things still back then. Not computers with powertrains. But that plane shook and moaned and shuddered. I was very happy for the switch to the 777 because after Thai stopped flying to the Pacific coast years ago, EVA was the only airline that would get me to BKK midday. I hated middle of the night arrivals.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

If you're flying from the UK ( specifically within easy reach of Heathrow ) to Thailand in Business Class then EVA is pretty much untouchable in my book. The only negative is the day flight on the way back.

1 hour ago, neilri2001 said:

If you're flying from the UK ( specifically within easy reach of Heathrow ) to Thailand in Business Class then EVA is pretty much untouchable in my book. The only negative is the day flight on the way back.

It's not a bad price point, although with the 4 tier pricing on offer with EVA fares now, that's debatable, but their ground / Airport Customer service is shocking,  and previously well earned and deserved reputation for reliability are really getting a hammering.

I'm deciding whether to book EVA at the moment, although the prices are reasonable as they are currently having a bit of a sale, the other factors may effect my choice.

For me EVA PE was good when I could afford an overnight hotel on arrival but now I go straight to my destination by National Express I want to arrive at T3 only and before 1500hrs. I always found the service and "chattability" of crew very good... and the G&Ts to be the best of any airline...

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Bullfrog said:

For me EVA PE was good when I could afford an overnight hotel on arrival but now I go straight to my destination by National Express I want to arrive at T3 only and before 1500hrs. I always found the service and "chattability" of crew very good... and the G&Ts to be the best of any airline...

I agree about the CC being chatty. On the whole they are a lot more sociable than the miserable girls working for Cathay. You'd have thought for the amount of money Cathay CC are paid they would be happier. Miserable cunts.

Best and most sociable CC award goes to the girls on Cebu Pacific when the plane is almost empty (MNL-BKK midweek) Despite the airline having the safety standards of a 1970's Skyvan operator in Sub Saharan Africa, they do like a yarn and given that a majority are single, possibly look at that route as a potential source for finding that all elusive western boyfriend.

• Like 1

Kai Tek, the infamous right hand turn over the City, marked by a sodding great billboard / sign denoting that if they go any further then it'll be "goodnight sweetheart".

Cathay have come a long way over the years. We've been using them on and off (as a family) since 2000, I've been using them since the early 90's for an occasional SEA trip back in the day. Without doubt they are in the top 3 World class carriers, but they do codeshare with BA which can be off putting. Nothing like stepping onto a BA777 for comparison to a Cathay one. Saying that though, our last flight from MNL-HKG-LHR was on a BA777 and it was actually very good indeed, I'd go as far to say the whole experience was way above average as we were late inbound from MNL and only made our flight to UK as they were closing the gate. the Ground crew were shit hot at getting us thru security quickly and delivered us to the plane.

I'm still undecided about EVA. As much as I like them, and as much as I enjoy the PE, Thai and even BA009 out of LHR are looking tempting. The Mid day Thai flight especially so.

20 minutes ago, Butch said:

Kai Tek, the infamous right hand turn over the City, marked by a sodding great billboard / sign denoting that if they go any further then it'll be "goodnight sweetheart".

Cathay have come a long way over the years. We've been using them on and off (as a family) since 2000, I've been using them since the early 90's for an occasional SEA trip back in the day. Without doubt they are in the top 3 World class carriers, but they do codeshare with BA which can be off putting. Nothing like stepping onto a BA777 for comparison to a Cathay one. Saying that though, our last flight from MNL-HKG-LHR was on a BA777 and it was actually very good indeed, I'd go as far to say the whole experience was way above average as we were late inbound from MNL and only made our flight to UK as they were closing the gate. the Ground crew were shit hot at getting us thru security quickly and delivered us to the plane.

I'm still undecided about EVA. As much as I like them, and as much as I enjoy the PE, Thai and even BA009 out of LHR are looking tempting. The Mid day Thai flight especially so.

Yup the old chequer board approach - but we digress and it was my fault- I'm sorry..

Back on subject. T5 just doesn't do it for me I'm afraid. I just don't want to get off a long haul flight to then jump on a coach to get to the T3 coach terminal....If you are travelling with family I wouldn't want to do it either... Thai just isn't worth the extra cost so I'd go for EVA....T3 has the added advantage for anyone that wants to buy an IDP from the Post Office...unless T5 has one now...no idea...

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, Butch said:

Where folks in the high rises hung their laundry out so that it would be dried by the jet exhaust.

• Like 1