Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

manchester ...Bangkok flights

Hi i have flew manchester Bangkok three times with qatar airways via Doha hoping to return in january 2020 and have been looking at other airlines due to qatar prices has any one any views on oman air out of manchester or looking at finnair via helsinki so a two hour hop to helsinki then a 12 hour to bangkok  has anyone flew these routes and and info on the airlines  T.I A   .....Ian

Ive flown Finnair 3 times,quite good,Helsinki airport is nice.The flying times on the way out

are about 2.30 hours Man/Hel. and about 10 hours Hel/BKK and a little longer on the return.

I would have no problem flying with them in the future.Sorry no info on Oman.

The flight Helsinki to Bangkok with Finn Air is okay BUT the flight from Manchester to/from Helsinki is on some budget carrier and for me was bad.

My friend flew Oman and spoke highly of it. Personally I am an Emirates fan though. Avoid BA!

I used to be an Emirates fan but over the last 3 years I've stuck with Qatar and even though they are now more expensive than Emirates from Manchester  I intend sticking with Qatar As they still offer a 30Kg allowance on the "cheap" tickets......I need it due to having Mrs Fiend travelling with me.

I have looked at both finn air and Oman in the past. But what puts me off is the 9am flight out of bkk. 

If I stayed in bangkok on my last night I would certainly look on using them. Pherphas Oman would be the better of the 2 as the flight to and from MAN-HEL are on computer type aircraft.

I've flown Finnair many times from Manchester. The 10.25am flight out links you up with an A350 after a couple of hours in the airport. The evening flight gets you an older aircraft into Bangkok. The early morning return is a rushed connection in Helsinki. The late night return is on the older plane and gets in at 5.30 am and the airport is quiet.

Service is good but they are "experimenting" charging for beer in economy.  The films are not as extensive as the Middle East Airines.

I have also flown Cathay Pacific who are good. My preferred Airline is Qatar but you really have to hope for offers as they are not worth the normal price difference.

If you have plenty of time have a look at flights from Amsterdam they are usually much cheaper but you have to add on Man Ams return.

Jaime

• Like 1

Qatar are good if you avoid the A350 28inch economy legroom.

I have also wanted to use KLM/AF and BA. But because of the times of year I can visit their prices are extremely expensive compared to MEA.

18 minutes ago, tombon said:

I have also wanted to use KLM/AF and BA. But because of the times of year I can visit their prices are extremely expensive compared to MEA.

Not sure where you get 28 inch of legroom from, as SeatGuru list all of Qatar's A350 fleet as having 31-32 inches!!!

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Qatar_Airways/Qatar_Airways_Airbus_A350-900-Qsuites.php https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Qatar_Airways/Qatar_Airways_Airbus_A350.php  https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Qatar_Airways/Qatar_Airways_QR_Airbus_A350-1000_V1.php

I flew on 2 different versions of Qatar' A350 back in January, there definitely was more than 28 inch of space on both of my flights!

1 hour ago, firth1974 said:

Not sure where you get 28 inch of legroom from, as SeatGuru list all of Qatar's A350 fleet as having 31-32 inches!!!

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Qatar_Airways/Qatar_Airways_Airbus_A350-900-Qsuites.php https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Qatar_Airways/Qatar_Airways_Airbus_A350.php  https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Qatar_Airways/Qatar_Airways_QR_Airbus_A350-1000_V1.php

I flew on 2 different versions of Qatar' A350 back in January, there definitely was more than 28 inch of space on both of my 

Just realised it was B787 not A350.

Edited by tombon

Oman are using 787 on both sectors from Heathrow which are shit on seat pitch but I think one of the Manchester sectors (the first) is on their much more spacious 330s. They're also packed every flight these days being the cheapest of the ME carriers 95% of the time

13 hours ago, tombon said:

Basic economy on KLM will charge €50 for checked bags each leg so add on €100 for a return flight,EVA is cheaper but now charge for seat selection in basic economy.Thats flying from Amsterdam.

1 minute ago, yselmike said:

Basic economy on KLM will charge €50 for checked bags each leg so add on €100 for a return flight,EVA is cheaper but now charge for seat selection in basic economy.Thats flying from Amsterdam.

Its amazing how these full service airlines now charge for baggage. And in general there product is below that of the 3 MEA. You could now call KLM, AF and BA as LCC as they all charge for baggage same as the major European LCC do. Plus some must charge for seat selection.

1 minute ago, tombon said:

Its amazing how these full service airlines now charge for baggage. And in general there product is below that of the 3 MEA. You could now call KLM, AF and BA as LCC as they all charge for baggage same as the major European LCC do. Plus some must charge for seat selection.

There's been a charge on seats with extra legroom for years but I need an aisle seat (stiff left hip and a weak bladder) The ME airlines might be a solution due to the stopover that's half way between Amsterdam and Bangkok,it's just finding a flight thats not 27 hours on the return leg and or gets you back late in the evening and with a price I want to pay.Should we expect a drop in price come the end of the year if the expected downturn in the numbers coming from the £.€.$. lands materialises?

14 hours ago, yselmike said:

,it's just finding a flight thats not 27 hours on the return leg and or gets you back late in the evening and with a price I want to pay.

Is the issue mostly price as I  find flights of 15.0 ->  17.0 hours quite easily, and mostly landing early morning in Manchester. (That is the topic)? I find the European carriers, like BA and KLM now schedule with late Manchester arrivals, which doesn't suit me at all. 

Edited by jacko
6 hours ago, jacko said:

Is the issue mostly price as  find flights of 15.0 ->  17.0 hours quite easily, and mostly landing early morning in Manchester. (That is the topic)? I find the European carriers, like BA and KLM now schedule with late Manchester arrivals, which doesn't suit me at all. 

It's the price,the total hours of the trip,the time of arrival in Bangkok,the time of departure from Bangkok and the time of arrival back to the UK/Netherlands.Heathrow would probably have the best options for the UK but I guess it's about Manchester not Amsterdam.

I've tried most routes from MAN - BKK, and my favorite although pricier was via Copenhagen with SAS which then code-shares with THAI Airways.

I liked the short flight to start, and CPH Airport is way less busy / large than the other EU/Middle East hubs. 

The connection from my SAS flight to the Thai flight took minutes.

It's the next best thing to flying direct IMO.

1 hour ago, GeeGee said:

I've tried most routes from MAN - BKK, and my favorite although pricier was via Copenhagen with SAS which then code-shares with THAI Airways.

I liked the short flight to start, and CPH Airport is way less busy / large than the other EU/Middle East hubs. 

The connection from my SAS flight to the Thai flight took minutes.

It's the next best thing to flying direct IMO.

Is that SAS? 

I have used them a couple of times but lately it seemed they were not sound. I thought they were close to going bankrupt and feared flights might suddenly get cancelled with people being stranded. I used them many years ago and there was a problem with the long haul aircraft, they told me it got hit by lightening and they had to downgrade me to economy. I got a refund voucher and could get the cash in Bangkok.... airlines are usually not so compliant with refunds.. seemed like extra spending money. 

Edited by jacko
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, barsie said:

Overall despite Emirates quality propping over recent years they still are preferred airline for me on manchester to Bangkok.

I agree. I fly economy and they offer the best legroom. Every inch counts (just ask a girl ?) when your 6'3.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2019 at 6:13 PM, tombon said:

I agree. I fly economy and they offer the best legroom. Every inch counts (just ask a girl ?) when your 6'3.

Feel your pain, I'm 6'3" and 19 stones. After using Emirates for so long though I'm now looking at Qatar for next time, got my hotel booked (changed that too from the usual one) so now its just the flights.

4 hours ago, garytheanimal said:

Feel your pain, I'm 6'3" and 19 stones. After using Emirates for so long though I'm now looking at Qatar for next time, got my hotel booked (changed that too from the usual one) so now its just the flights.

Avoid Qatar's B787 at all costs. Especially in economy.

4 hours ago, garytheanimal said:

If funds allow Eva Elite would suit you...

2 hours ago, Rawhide2 said:

If funds allow Eva Elite would suit you...

Just had a quick look and they're about £200 more than what we normally pay. It actually wouldn't bother me that much to get comfort, but the guy I travel with is a tight ass, lol. Thank you anyway, I'd never heard of Eva Air

17 minutes ago, garytheanimal said:

Just had a quick look and they're about £200 more than what we normally pay. It actually wouldn't bother me that much to get comfort, but the guy I travel with is a tight ass, lol. Thank you anyway, I'd never heard of Eva Air

Your account is now active. Welcome to the (unmoderated) forums ?

• Like 1