Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

British Airways strike

All over the UK news (a welcome change from Brexit) is the strike taking place today. T5 at LHR is now a BA parking lot, and the pilots refused an 11.5% pay deal (or thereabouts) and are holding out for more profit share.

This is another reason why BA are such a complete shambles. A few years ago we were lucky enough to get one of the few BA flights out of LHR during a week of strike action for an emergency trip to Jo'burg (family health issue), BA were happy enough to take my money for the short notice seat, yet failed to mention that my flight might have been cancelled, in fact they assured me it would be going (they were correct, but it was touch and go at the airport) .

Like any strike, the repercussions to the business in the mid term are very damaging. EVA being a recent example, but BA has a historically (I might venture and say the worst) bad record of Industrial action of any major Airline. We never hear of Qantas, Cathay, any of the ME carriers and others walking out, or if we do, not with the shocking regularity of BA.

Effectively it ruins what little credibility the airline has, management not being able to negotiate enough to avert it, and the pilots themselves for refusing to meet in the middle.

You're right, I think the last time is was by either CC or ground staff. I know BA has a 2 or possibly more , tiered pay structure (Brown1950 might know) and perhaps this was the reason for the strike a few years back, it was when Willie Walsh went head to head with the Unions over it.

With this and computer system outages knocking the ticketing system out worldwide leaving people stranded, it seems that BA is run by an absolute bunch of clowns.

• Upvote 1

BA says it has offered pilots a pay rise of 11.5% over three years but the union says its members want a bigger share of the company's profits. A further strike is pencilled in for Sept. 27. 

Edited by martini9946
more info
  • Upvote 1

Aren't there a lot of cheaper pilots to be had around at the moment, didn't Ryan air shed a few.

Disappointing show, but their quality of service and reliability were shot already. I 'gave them a go' last year for my UK trip and that about did it for me. 

• Upvote 1
40 minutes ago, jacko said:

Aren't there a lot of cheaper pilots to be had around at the moment, didn't Ryan air shed a few.

Disappointing show, but their quality of service and reliability were shot already. I 'gave them a go' last year for my UK trip and that about did it for me. 

The last time I really enjoyed flying BA was in the early '90s Biz class when I flew regularly LHR to Beijing for 2 years. Upper deck, non smoking, brilliant food, wine and service when the trolley dollies had time (and were allowed) to have a laugh and a chat...

My last, final,never again flight was about 2 years ago . I had paid 25 quid for a prebooked seat (centre aisle). I did a final confirmation before leaving home and pretty much dawdled along knowing that everything was gonna be OK....Until I was ushered to the self check in machines !!! ... "but I have a prebooked seat!!!"  The bastards had changed aircraft to one with a different seating layout!! Bastards I thought but then OK I'll select centre aisle on the machine - all booked - Bastards....So I asked at the desk...No sir you can't change, fully booked and no time bla bla bla but we will refund your money ...."Send your complaint to customer service" .... BASTARDS

1 hour ago, Bullfrog said:

The last time I really enjoyed flying BA was in the early '90s Biz class when I flew regularly LHR to Beijing for 2 years. Upper deck, non smoking, brilliant food, wine and service when the trolley dollies had time (and were allowed) to have a laugh and a chat...

I would like to refer to it as it was called, Club World, and I flew to quite a few places with them back in late 80s and 90s. Sometimes trying to catch some sleep in the quiet room in the old T4 lounge, en-route from the Middle East to the USA or South America. I used to get quite excited for the return trip, a UK paper, some Stilton and port and to hear those lovely English and Scottish accents again. 

And when I quit, due to an attachment to keeping my head on my neck, I tapped into an abundance of Air Miles and flew BA First to Bangkok, a delight. (Although leaving a little late as BA 009 was apt to be.)

So, for old times sake, last year, when all airlines were charging the earth during the peak season, I got a cheaper BA Biz Class via Expedia.... not a Club I wish to be a member of any more. Rattling old aircraft, service far inferior to what the Middle East Carriers offer, awful seats, noisy cabin. Delays for the shuttle services, and to be honest, border collies could have done a better job of controlling boarding! An insult. 

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 1

I dont entirely agree with the BA bashing but am sure some is justified.. The acid question though is if your aircraft went tech at 35,000 feet with a serious issue what airline would you want to be on that gave you the best chance of getting onto the ground in one piece

For me there is only one immediate first choice....British Airways

Maybe Brown1950 may have an opinion.

Can you imagine the Thai pilots coming on the intercom blaming Somchai and his bike spanners with the A380 in a death spiral and shouting "Mai Pen Rai" followed by "Som Nam na"   ??

• Haha 1