Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Emirates, (A380's from Birmingham)

I am seriously thinking of flying Emirates and their A380's from BHX to BKK for my next Thailand trip but could do with some info from any seasoned EK BHX-BKK travellers. ?

Firstly as a generalisation which are the less busy flights afternoon EK040 or evenings EK038 plus their connections/return?

Secondly, EK fares? Economy is currently showing at around £490 but you cannot book a specific seat until 48 hours before the flight, this could work 2 ways, if the flight is busy you may finish up in a centre seat, or if not too busy you can find an empty row and spread out. FWIW I will probably go on a Tuesday in late November.

You can also pay a higher economy fare and get more luggage allowance plus the chance to reserve your seat including up top for an extra fee, this is not really on as the fare will then be approaching Eva Airways Premium Economy fare.

I have always flown direct to BKK from LHR with BR or TG but BHX is closer to me and half of me says have a bash at EK and the other half stick with what you know.

Any tips or info most welcome. ?

32 minutes ago, Gus said:

Any tips or info most welcome.

Sorry don't use BHX but can simply say you should like the Emirates A380 service... I love them BUT, have always flown Biz Class. 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Gus said:

I am seriously thinking of flying Emirates and their A380's from BHX to BKK for my next Thailand trip but could do with some info from any seasoned EK BHX-BKK travellers. ?

Firstly as a generalisation which are the less busy flights afternoon EK040 or evenings EK038 plus their connections/return?

Secondly, EK fares? Economy is currently showing at around £490 but you cannot book a specific seat until 48 hours before the flight, this could work 2 ways, if the flight is busy you may finish up in a centre seat, or if not too busy you can find an empty row and spread out. FWIW I will probably go on a Tuesday in late November.

You can also pay a higher economy fare and get more luggage allowance plus the chance to reserve your seat including up top for an extra fee, this is not really on as the fare will then be approaching Eva Airways Premium Economy fare.

I have always flown direct to BKK from LHR with BR or TG but BHX is closer to me and half of me says have a bash at EK and the other half stick with what you know.

Any tips or info most welcome. ?

I may or may not be correct but when I was intending to fly back this year it appeared that Qatar allowed you to book a seat in advance for free but Brexit exchange rate put the kybosh on those plans so I stopped investigating...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Qatar fly from BHX and they have free seat selection and 30Kg of checked in luggage. Unfortunately they use the 787 Nightmareliner with it's cramped cattle class seating between BHX and DOH....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I fly 4 or 5 times a year on that route. Check in online 48 hours before departure for free seat selection. Flight capacity varies, I have been in a full cabin and another time had 4 seats to myself, you never know but the Emirates 380 provides a comfortable seat and good entertainment. I particularly like it that I can get off the train and through security in a matter of minutes as I only take a carry on bag. When booking make sure of the transit time in Dubai. Less than one hour is too short more than three hours is too long.

Sent from my ASUS_X00HD using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Thank you all, especially severn. I may well give EK a go, I was deterred in the past as some of the flights were on a 777.

Eva, I would only use if Elite Class was lower and that is not going to happen. TG, I liked the A350 but since Star Alliance their flights can be very busy.

15 hours ago, jacko said:

Sorry don't use BHX but can simply say you should like the Emirates A380 service... I love them BUT, have always flown Biz Class. 

A couple of years ago Emirates business class included free taxi under 100 miles as part of the deal.... I can't find any reference to it on their website ...Is it part of your deal..???

1 hour ago, Bullfrog said:

A couple of years ago Emirates business class included free taxi under 100 miles as part of the deal.... I can't find any reference to it on their website ...Is it part of your deal..???

Yes it is. Chauffeur service to and from the airport in Manchester. Pattaya is too far. 

It was brill! Sadly their prices reflect it!

https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/experience/chauffeur-drive/

7 hours ago, Bullfrog said:

I think its 50 miles, but you can pay for extra miles on top of those 50. Not sure of the extra mileage costs.

6 hours ago, jacko said:

Yes it is. Chauffeur service to and from the airport in Manchester. Pattaya is too far. 

It was brill! Sadly their prices reflect it!

It's something I use in the UK when flying to Los, and as a return taxi is £150 for me, I take it into account when looking at fares. Means that Emirates are more competitively priced! It's also good to know when returning that there will be a nice big merc waiting for you... not a dodgy taxi that you booked months (in my case) early, who might or might not remember...

Edited by helloitsme
  • Like 1
36 minutes ago, helloitsme said:

I think its 50 miles, but you can pay for extra miles on top of those 50. Not sure of the extra mileage costs.

It's something I use in the UK when flying to Los, and as a return taxi is £150 for me, I take it into account when looking at fares. Means that Emirates are more competitively priced! It's also good to know when returning that there will be a nice big merc waiting for you... not a dodgy taxi that you booked months (in my case) early, who might or might not remember...

I know that it was 100 miles at that time because they refused it for me. I did an RAC/AA Route planner and most routes were 98 miles or so. When I pointed  this out to them they said that the local taxi firm would decide when I landed.........Fuck that for a game of soldiers paying up front then arguing with a taxi driver over the route he was gonna take.. 

52 minutes ago, helloitsme said:

No 70 miles for Manchester, and most UK airports.Some variation depending on where from internationally. It is 60km for Bangkok. Pattaya is fixed price of 2800 baht so I certainly don't use that!

Edited by jacko
30 minutes ago, jacko said:

No 70 miles for Manchester, and most UK airports.Some variation depending on where from internationally.

Funnily enough whilst you were typing that reply I went on to AA route Planner to check my facts. The shortest route was cross country after Newbury and came in at 77 miles but the route that took the M4 and came off at Chippenham was 101 miles ... 

After seeing your reply I can only conclude that the rules have changed and/or it may have been whilst I was in Africa ...I really am unsure how or why it happened but it surely did...........Or I could have made the whole thing up just to make a fool of myself yet again...!! 

EDIT = I have just checked the link you attached - Hahaha It is right on the border ..... but only if you travel cross country....

Edited by Bullfrog
19 minutes ago, Bullfrog said:

After seeing your reply I can only conclude that the rules have changed and/or it may have been whilst I was in Africa ...I really am unsure how or why it happened but it surely did...........Or I could have made the whole thing up just to make a fool of myself yet again...!! 

No I think you are correct..... it used to be more. Likely reduced when they increased the number of airports in the UK. I used to chat to the drivers and they said something about bringing passengers from quite far North. 

Edited by jacko
17 minutes ago, jacko said:

No I think you are correct..... it used to be more. Likely reduced when they increased the number of airports in the UK. 

Hahaha we are both correct in a way....please see my EDIT....

3 hours ago, helloitsme said:

Ministers have been urged to overhaul how the taxi business is licensed rather than allow almost 400 councils to each have their own rules following a chauffeur scandal in which tens of thousands of passengers travelled in potentially dangerous vehicles.

The Times revealed this week that one of Britain’s biggest chauffeur firms was for years using clocked cars that were not properly licensed, insured or maintained. Professional Chauffeur Services, known as PCS, which transported celebrities and VIPs, evaded detection by persuading council officials to dismiss complaints and a reluctance by the authorities to upset its biggest client, Emirates Airline, a major foreign investor in the north of England.

The company, which was run from Runcorn in Cheshire  

My Emirates cars were usually new Mercs. I have more concern wrt licencing of taxi drivers in the town. They were all Indo/Pakistani and some did not know English, nor the way to the hospital. Licences were bought... guess who runs the councils.

4 hours ago, jacko said:

No 70 miles for Manchester, and most UK airports.Some variation depending on where from internationally. It is 60km for Bangkok. Pattaya is fixed price of 2800 baht so I certainly don't use that!

You're correct....May have been Oman when they offered a limo service, but I know i was, at 48 miles, only just in the limit on one occasion.

Agree about not using them to get to pattaya! 

9 hours ago, jacko said:

My Emirates cars were usually new Mercs. I have more concern wrt licencing of taxi drivers in the town. They were all Indo/Pakistani and some did not know English, nor the way to the hospital. Licences were bought... guess who runs the councils.

LOL with regard to licensing taxis and private hire vehicles...... The garage where I get my MOT tests done is responsible for doing "TaxI" tests and lately they have been doing tests on "private hire" vehicles licensed in my area but are actually being based and used 140 miles away down in the Manchester area after my local council relaxed the rule of only issuing licenses for businesses based within my area.

My brother flew Emirates economy from Birmingham and he seemed fairly content with the experience. If the price is genuinely approaching EVA's premium economy fare then for me Eva would be a no brainer. I'm in a minority but i didn't go a bundle on Emirates Business. Despite the nice lounges  at LHR and BKK  and good IFE the seat width was a miserly 19 inches which is firmly in premium economy ( at best ) territory

3 hours ago, neilri2001 said:

My brother flew Emirates economy from Birmingham and he seemed fairly content with the experience. If the price is genuinely approaching EVA's premium economy fare then for me Eva would be a no brainer. I'm in a minority but i didn't go a bundle on Emirates Business. Despite the nice lounges  at LHR and BKK  and good IFE the seat width was a miserly 19 inches which is firmly in premium economy ( at best ) territory

Yes it is actually wider on the 777s , but the A380 Cabin is still far better, it is a Flat Bed. That doesn't suit me though as I find being fully flat gives me back ache. I like the private layout of the window side seats and you feel it is roomy. There is the option of going sitting in a different seat too, one in the bar!

Although I was just taking a quick look at prices BKK-MAN, at 89,000 baht on EK, I am more tempted by Qatar at 69000 baht. A Limo isn't worth that difference. 

Edited by jacko

Birmingham to Manchester was always within Emirates free distance which was always 80 miles as the crow flies.The allowed free distance varies in different countries.I have flown business class Bhx to Bkk many times and have always found it excellent.You have to be careful nowadays when booking as there is a new no frills business class (no lounge and no chauffeur)