Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Lens Replacement Surgery Trip Report

40 minutes ago, JONPAT said:

I recently had the cataract surgery in USA paid for by Medicare & Blue Cross Blue Shield.  I paid nothing, they combined paid a little over $8000.  The lens were monofocal; nothing about dominant eye using a different focus. I still have to use cheaters for reading small print and upclose purposes.

The lens replacement procedure is also done by some doctors for those who are not candidates for Lasik correction. I wouldn't want to be on the hook for the cost from my pocket alone.

People who are younger and nowhere near needing cataract surgery sometimes opt for lenses that are inserted cosmetically.  I'm not sure what the difference is between those kinds of lenses and the lenses used when cataract surgery is performed, but I know the cosmetic type surgery is expensive.  A girl I know was looking into it just because she was tired of wearing contacts.  In the end, she didn't do it.  

1 hour ago, js007 said:

People who are younger and nowhere near needing cataract surgery sometimes opt for lenses that are inserted cosmetically.  I'm not sure what the difference is between those kinds of lenses and the lenses used when cataract surgery is performed, but I know the cosmetic type surgery is expensive.  A girl I know was looking into it just because she was tired of wearing contacts.  In the end, she didn't do it.  

Actually that was my case. My cataracts were mild and I was tired of the hassle of contacts. My regular Doc told me I really did not need it, but he told me how to lie (a little bit) so the insurance would pay for it...

The surgeon was more than happy to do the work and he submitted the documentation to the insurance company and they approved. The actual procedure was different than the OP posted as they only did one eye at a time but there were 2-3 weeks of meds before and after the procedure.