Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

USA Social Security DD to Bangkok bank. Anyone do it?

I dealt with the transfer issues over the last year. Used transfer wise and Schwab.  My O-A is good for almost 2 years but eventually will have to show the 65000/month.   Now SS will Direct Deposit. to a Thai Bank like the Phillipines has long had. So i i have the form which must be signed by a Bank Official. Today at Central Festival , blank stare. "We cannot". Anyone had luck with a BB branch that understands this.

• 1 month later...

I changed having my social security deposited at Wells Fargo to Bangkok Bank in October.  My deposit this month was still to Wells Fargo but I checked the MySSA website and they now have the details for Bangkok Bank, so I expect next month’s deposit to go to Bangkok Bank.  I spoke with the Bangkok Bank staff near Soi 6 and they submitted the paperwork for me. However, I had to create a new restricted account with no internet or ATM access to receive the payment, even though I have another account at the same branch.

On 12/11/2019 at 4:23 AM, RhinoTusk said:

I changed having my social security deposited at Wells Fargo to Bangkok Bank in October.  My deposit this month was still to Wells Fargo but I checked the MySSA website and they now have the details for Bangkok Bank, so I expect next month’s deposit to go to Bangkok Bank.  I spoke with the Bangkok Bank staff near Soi 6 and they submitted the paperwork for me. However, I had to create a new restricted account with no internet or ATM access to receive the payment, even though I have another account at the same branch.

Is the restricted account a Social Security rule or a Bangkok Bank rule?  As I recall, is some countries when they were still sending out monthly checks, people had to collect their monthly checks at the US Embassy.  Now, with direct deposit, why the paranoia?  Do they think someone is going to steal your direct deposit?  

1 hour ago, js007 said:

Is the restricted account a Social Security rule or a Bangkok Bank rule?  As I recall, is some countries when they were still sending out monthly checks, people had to collect their monthly checks at the US Embassy.  Now, with direct deposit, why the paranoia?  Do they think someone is going to steal your direct deposit?  

I assume it’s a social security rule to prevent fraud, so they won’t keep making deposits after you’re gone and have a spouse or someone else steal it.

33 minutes ago, RhinoTusk said:

I assume it’s a social security rule to prevent fraud, so they won’t keep making deposits after you’re gone and have a spouse or someone else steal it.

You could be dead a long time and your account could still be open, right?  Or if not, wouldn't the death notification system work for any type account?  Whoever makes up this nonsense should not have a job.  

2 hours ago, js007 said:

You could be dead a long time and your account could still be open, right?  Or if not, wouldn't the death notification system work for any type account?  Whoever makes up this nonsense should not have a job.  

It’s an inconvenience but I can understand the logic, and the social security system is stressed by the current demographics.

50 minutes ago, RhinoTusk said:

It’s an inconvenience but I can understand the logic, and the social security system is stressed by the current demographics.

The Social Security system may be "stressed," but it's not because of one or two guys who may die in Thailand without proper notification to the SSA. 

31 minutes ago, js007 said:

The Social Security system may be "stressed," but it's not because of one or two guys who may die in Thailand without proper notification to the SSA. 

I think more than one or two of us are going to die and I doubt this policy only applies to Thailand.

3 hours ago, RhinoTusk said:

That's my understanding as well. With the restricted account do you have to go to the bank in person to withdraw or transfer funds to your other account?

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

That's my understanding as well. With the restricted account do you have to go to the bank in person to withdraw or transfer funds to your other account?

OPM pension check rather than social security, but, yes, you have to go to a branch with both bank books and your passport.  Okay for now, but it may be a problem if I am in the hospital on the first of the month.

5 hours ago, js007 said:

On the other hand, we don't have to have anyone certify our proof of life letter back to social security.

14 hours ago, RhinoTusk said:

I think more than one or two of us are going to die and I doubt this policy only applies to Thailand.

I'll see if I can look it up.  It wouldn't surprise me if Thailand was the only country.  

I had direct deposit from SSA directly to my savings account in Bangkok Bank branch office at Pattaya Klang in Big C. No problems. Also I have a ATM card attached to the account and can go online to check my account. You can fill out the forms from SSA and mail them to the Philippiones SSA office. Here is the web site from SSA go to the country (Thailand) and copy the form. I suggest send it by FedEx. You can see when they accept it.   https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-1199.html

2 hours ago, Larryst said:

I had direct deposit from SSA directly to my savings account in Bangkok Bank branch office at Pattaya Klang in Big C. No problems. Also I have a ATM card attached to the account and can go online to check my account. You can fill out the forms from SSA and mail them to the Philippiones SSA office. Here is the web site from SSA go to the country (Thailand) and copy the form. I suggest send it by FedEx. You can see when they accept it.   https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-1199.html

I asked them at Bangkok Bank on Soi 6 to use my existing account which has online banking and debit card access, but they insisted I needed to create a new account with the restrictions.

Larry again thanks. I have the two required accounts, not that big of a burden. Just knowing  i can do its very helpful . The branch on Soi 6  understands  Was there 2 days ago , Passport in hand but got sidetracked at the Corner Bar . 

14 hours ago, sailingbill said:

Larry again thanks. I have the two required accounts, not that big of a burden. Just knowing  i can do its very helpful . The branch on Soi 6  understands  Was there 2 days ago , Passport in hand but got sidetracked at the Corner Bar . 

If I have left there I usually have my bankbook and passport on me, and possibly a bit of cash, so that deters getting distracted into soi 6. 

Thanks, very good information. I Prefer DD to Transferwise or Scwab.  May need to show 65000/ month next year but an agent looks like a reasonable solution unless they will be required to show insurance.  The worth of The O-A was it was only 200usd,  effective for  2 years, no need to have any money or prove income in a Thai Bank.  But i need to stop crying about that and move on.