Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Prices for late April / early May 20

Just looking around, BA are £479 for their one up from basic fare, so you get 1x23kg bag in the hold. PE is £1080.

Thai are £579 for their "regular" econ fare, all costs for their 2 flights schedules departure and return are the same price.

EVA are £519 for their cheap econ fare, PE is £986. With EVA if you use the website and book direct, you can use mileage to reduce the price by a bit now as well, no minimum mileage required (I think).  EVA charge for seat selection as well, even in PE.

Seems that econ fares are static or around the same. BA looks a decent price point, and recent reviews suggest they are updating and making more of an effort on their fleet. BA009 Departs LHR at 16:20 (ish) arrives BKK 09:45, but as always with BA there are caveats, such as if they decide to strike, their computer systems work etc etc.

On 10/19/2019 at 10:55 PM, Butch said:

BA there are caveats, such as if they decide to strike, their computer systems work etc etc.

And for me can they get their bloody shuttle down from Manchester there on time!

I think it is going to be a poor high season from Europe to Thailand, so maybe fares will drop late... but I still wouldn't be on BA! I have to change aircraft anyhow so the Middle Eastern Carriers are extra options for me. 

Edited by jacko

I'm very probably going to give Thai a go, the Econ fare is more than reasonable plus giving me the option of potentially 2 flights, although the mid morning one requires an 0400 departure from Chez Butch, and I'm not the most wonderful person in the morning. Problem being I join the M25 at junction 27 or 28, and unless I'm on the M25 before 0600, it's a bloody massive car park until 10:00 am.

I have not yet looked at the ME carriers. Might well be worth considering one of them. Drawbacks being layover times and Ex BKK departure times.

Does anyone know if they are still 3-3-3 in econ on the Thai 777?.

Edited by Butch
fat fingers
31 minutes ago, Butch said:

I have not yet looked at the ME carriers. Might well be worth considering one of them. Drawbacks being layover times and Ex BKK departure times.

The main ME carriers have multiple flights ex BKK throughout the day.  If you're going to Heathrow I wouldn't expect connections to be a problem, I am pretty sure that, like Manchester, they have a number of flights per day. For instance I think Emirates is up to 4 flights per day between Dubai and Manchester.

I just put in outbound purely random of 28th April inbound 20 May again random out of Heathrow

Thai £448  30kg bags

Eva  £454 30kg bags

BA £457 but no bags included

Lot of the one stops were very cheap as well   Ignoring the very cheap Chinese carriers all the following are standard connections

Lufthansa  £376  Turkish £389  Oman £401  Etihad £404  Emirates £415  (lowest bagagge 23kg with Etihad 25kg Emirates)

Edited by Rawhide2
  • Like 1
On 10/21/2019 at 2:01 PM, Rawhide2 said:

Indeed cant personally recall it ever at that level

Me neither, I think I was paying the same or possibly more than that back in the early 00's. I know a few fellas who would be interested at that price, good call. Saying that, Etihad and Oman are very competetive, both have a good product and I think the layovers with the Oman air flight are not too horrific. I'll check out the lufthansa stopover as well while I'm at it.

• Upvote 1

580 USD from iah for those dates USA. may have to book.

cheaper than uk/eu for once. the benefits  are not a factor

upon landing trust me??

On 10/20/2019 at 11:57 AM, Rawhide2 said:

I just put in outbound purely random of 28th April inbound 20 May again random out of Heathrow

Thai £448  30kg bags

Eva  £454 30kg bags

BA £457 but no bags included

Lot of the one stops were very cheap as well   Ignoring the very cheap Chinese carriers all the following are standard connections

Lufthansa  £376  Turkish £389  Oman £401  Etihad £404  Emirates £415  (lowest bagagge 23kg with Etihad 25kg Emirates)

Are the prices from the airlines or from agents? I see cheap flights from Skyscanner all the time but the reviews of the agents offering them are dire across the board,the prices from the airlines are always more when you put your dates in, have to pay for checked and  bags seat selection etc.

Though I believe Lufthansa do a budget ticket no checked bags or seat selection so if you can travel with only carry on deals are there,KLM do it but it's not that cheap but compared to the other fares it seems cheapish

Emirates is looking the best at the moment for jan29 to Feb 27 from Amsterdam under €600,no seat selection but 25kg checked luggage.

1 hour ago, yselmike said:

Are the prices from the airlines or from agents? I see cheap flights from Skyscanner all the time but the reviews of the agents offering them are dire across the board,the prices from the airlines are always more when you put your dates in, have to pay for checked and  bags seat selection etc.

Though I believe Lufthansa do a budget ticket no checked bags or seat selection so if you can travel with only carry on deals are there,KLM do it but it's not that cheap but compared to the other fares it seems cheapish

Emirates is looking the best at the moment for jan29 to Feb 27 from Amsterdam under €600,no seat selection but 25kg checked luggage.

I use exclusively these days Travel Trolley best agent out there in my opinion. Dont even use Skyscanner anymore.... Had at least 30 tickets off them probably more ticketed within hours each time and never a single problem over payments

Edited that Lufthansa included 30kg baggage

£523 on Emirates your flight so roughly the same you said in Euro

Edited by Rawhide2
  • Like 1
On 10/20/2019 at 11:03 AM, Butch said:

I'm very probably going to give Thai a go, the Econ fare is more than reasonable plus giving me the option of potentially 2 flights, although the mid morning one requires an 0400 departure from Chez Butch, and I'm not the most wonderful person in the morning. Problem being I join the M25 at junction 27 or 28, and unless I'm on the M25 before 0600, it's a bloody massive car park until 10:00 am.

Does anyone know if they are still 3-3-3 in econ on the Thai 777?.

yes

Thai still use 3-3-3 on their 777.

I flew it out to Bkk in september,

Depending on the time of the year though, thai use the A380 on their mid-day flight out of Heathrow.

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, marleyboy said:

yes

Thai still use 3-3-3 on their 777.

I flew it out to Bkk in september,

Depending on the time of the year though, thai use the A380 on their mid-day flight out of Heathrow.

That travel trolley I mentioned before will always tell you in quick view what aircraft are rostered on to the flight that day before you book (probably others do as well)

• 1 month later...

Just booked for very late April, PE was £977, so I bit the bullet. I was going to fly Econ, it came in at 548, plus I wanted to pre select my seat and that added another £20 or so, and besides we're flying to Manila at the end of the week in econ on bloody BA (that's what happens when you let the wife book the tickets) so I'll be buggered if the only time I fly by myself this year will be in econ again.

I managed to get another £40 by using my points as well, so that helped a bit.

Edited by Butch
  • 4 weeks later...

I had a 'phone call from EVA this afternoon to say that my flight from BKK to LHR on 19 May has been cancelled. I accepted the option of 18 May.

I pressed them as to the reason for the cancellation, and was told it is for maintenance. I find that surprising, and am wondering if EVA is consolidating again.

On 10/19/2019 at 4:55 PM, Butch said:

Just looking around, BA are £479 for their one up from basic fare, so you get 1x23kg bag in the hold. PE is £1080.

Thai are £579 for their "regular" econ fare, all costs for their 2 flights schedules departure and return are the same price.

EVA are £519 for their cheap econ fare, PE is £986. With EVA if you use the website and book direct, you can use mileage to reduce the price by a bit now as well, no minimum mileage required (I think).  EVA charge for seat selection as well, even in PE.

Seems that econ fares are static or around the same. BA looks a decent price point, and recent reviews suggest they are updating and making more of an effort on their fleet. BA009 Departs LHR at 16:20 (ish) arrives BKK 09:45, but as always with BA there are caveats, such as if they decide to strike, their computer systems work etc etc.

Last week I booked flights for the last last week in May, MAN - BKK with Qatar..... £520 with 30KG luggage allowance and free seat selection.......

Last night I checked out my February flight on Malaysian and was pissed off to find the cost lower than 5 weeks ago. Then again they have blotted their copy book again in New Zealand. They had to cancel 2 flights in 2 days due to the plane not getting off the runway due to some engineering issues and then screwing up the way that they treated the held over passengers. The sooner they get new management, the better but at the moment they are still the best deal for me and if the plane is half full that's fine with me.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, teelack said:

Last night I checked out my February flight on Malaysian and was pissed off to find the cost lower than 5 weeks ago. Then again they have blotted their copy book again in New Zealand. They had to cancel 2 flights in 2 days due to the plane not getting off the runway due to some engineering issues and then screwing up the way that they treated the held over passengers. The sooner they get new management, the better but at the moment they are still the best deal for me and if the plane is half full that's fine with me.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

I was using them regularly,well once a year, down to Bali. There was an early morning flight from BKK and I could arrive mid afternoon and get  to the hotel and on the beer for the night. I also managed to get Biz Class for a reasonable amount... I guess I was taking advantage of their attempts to recover after 2 lost aircraft. Now that morning flight is not there and the alternative is like 5am from Swampy, pretty antisocial....and 3 hours layover. I also noticed their Biz Class is now priced up there with SQ... they aren't worth that!

I am too picky though, finding a reasonable departure, duration and arrival time really makes the choices limited, but my days of getting to an airport at 4am, and hanging around in transit for 6 hours are behind me.  

Edited by jacko
2 hours ago, jacko said:

I was using them regularly,well once a year, down to Bali. There was an early morning flight from BKK and I could arrive mid afternoon and get  to the hotel and on the beer for the night. I also managed to get Biz Class for a reasonable amount... I guess I was taking advantage of their attempts to recover after 2 lost aircraft. Now that morning flight is not there and the alternative is like 5am from Swampy, pretty antisocial....and 3 hours layover. I also noticed their Biz Class is now priced up there with SQ... they aren't worth that!

I am too picky though, finding a reasonable departure, duration and arrival time really makes the choices limited, but my days of getting to an airport at 4am, and hanging around in transit for 6 hours are behind me.  

Malaysian have had a rough time of and they to changed the time table out of Auckland and this one suits me.

It departs at 1.30 AM, has a changeover in KL and gets into Bangkok at just after 10.00 AM! This is great for me as it also gets back to Auckland at a time where I can also get a lower cost domestic fare. This is in line with my current thinking. In the past I would get to Pattaya between say 11.00 PM and 3.00 AM and that was a wasted night. Getting in at this time of day allows me to clear Bangkok and be in Pattaya for lunch. Getting in at this time of day is great as I can get my stored gear, haircut, bank and even a swim before getting ready for my first night in town. The only downside is a reasonable wait prior to my flight and I am thinking about paying for a one time lounge membership to speed me on my way. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2020 at 7:51 PM, Bazle said:

I had a 'phone call from EVA this afternoon to say that my flight from BKK to LHR on 19 May has been cancelled. I accepted the option of 18 May.

I pressed them as to the reason for the cancellation, and was told it is for maintenance. I find that surprising, and am wondering if EVA is consolidating again.

That's happened to me before, I think if they were consolidating there might be more changes to the schedule. I remember last year they cancelled the Tuesday flights for a couple of weeks, then reinstated one of them.

*Edit in, I just looked at the timetables, they've cancelled a few Tuesday flights during May it seems.

One extra day in LOS, can't be too bad ?

Edited by Butch
40 minutes ago, Butch said:

One extra day in LOS, can't be too bad ?

Unfortunately, circumstances are such that I had to go for the one FEWER day option. ?

• Sad 1