Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Pet peeves, rational or not

I'll start.

The security guard who thinks he is helping me back into a parking space by blowing his whistle and waiving his arm.?

Edited by nkped
  • Haha 1

People who park a motorcycle touching mine... can't get in to move mine.

Those walking in front who suddenly stop, or simply stand in the way at a doorway. 

Idiot drunk men who get up and dance on a GGB stage.

I'm so cool people who put their feet up on tables. 

Bodybuilders.

Signs at 5ft 10 height, I am 6 ft!

I'm 64 and grumpy, I could go on forever,

• Upvote 2
16 hours ago, jacko said:

Those walking in front who suddenly stop, or simply stand in the way at a doorway. 

Bodybuilders.

You got most of mine there in one go.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

People who wear sunglasses at night, and old guys who  turn up their collars when  they go to nightclubs.....and yes, the aforementioned "steroid apes", the guys who spend all day in the gym and then walk around shirtless at night trying to impress everyone with their muscles...

• Like 1

For sure, the drunken fools who find it necessary to get up and dance on the stage in go go bars.

Entire families who stop on the sidewalk and decide to have a family conference, thereby stopping everyone in their path.

People in the checkout line at grocery stores who don't start writing a check for their groceries until they've been rung up, and then taking their time to balance their checkbook and put it away, all before moving an inch.  And I still remember the guy in the grocery line in the USA who held everyone up because he was trying to pay for groceries with a check from Mongolia.

All the junk mail I have to throw out on a daily basis, and all the robocalls I seem to get everyday.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, maipenrai said:

People who wear sunglasses at night, and old guys who  turn up their collars when  they go to nightclubs.....and yes, the aforementioned "steroid apes", the guys who spend all day in the gym and then walk around shirtless at night trying to impress everyone with their muscles...

... well if they are steroid abusers it won't be with the ole meat and veggies.

- dumbasses that hold up Immigration lines because they failed to complete their landing/entry card ... although recently Thailand has started intercepting those as they enter the queue.

- picking the wrong queue, e.g., at checkout, lately I have started avoiding queues in Thailand with chinese, indians, and russians as much as possible, especially at Immigration.

- getting behind a Thai at an ATM who is transferring money to what seems to be a dozen different accounts

- Drivers who pass on the highways at what seems to be 140 kph only to take forever pulling away from a stop. Have you ever noticed how slowly a Thai driver takes to accelerate to highway speed?

- Currency exchange booths rejecting currency with any sign of wear or the slightest of marks

- people that enter through doors clearly marked exit only and act shocked when you don't give way.

- love struck punters walking holding hands with their mia noi du our on what little patch of pedestrian pavement there is in Thailand and then acting agrieved when you don't give way to them.

- 'joiner fees' when you've paid for a double occupancy hotel room.

- chinese at buffets ... nope take that one back; that's some of the most awesome free entertainment in Pattaya. But it's to the point that if you are unlucky enough to have booked a hotel that has chinese package 'tourists ... some tend to have a separate dining room for the quality tourists ... so it can make it harder to see the show.

On 10/21/2019 at 1:43 PM, jacko said:

Bodybuilders.

Your first and last ones resonated with me

The motorbike thing, avail yourself of a few cheapo Chinese padlocks as attitude adjusters. They fucked you about let them enjoy the reciprocation with a lock through their disk brake :D

And the signs , overshadowed by those blasted rain awnings at provincial markets hurriedly set up at throat height...bastards!

35 minutes ago, Regyai said:

Your first and last ones resonated with me

The motorbike thing, avail yourself of a few cheapo Chinese padlocks as attitude adjusters. They fucked you about let them enjoy the reciprocation with a lock through their disk brake :D

And the signs , overshadowed by those blasted rain awnings at provincial markets hurriedly set up at throat height...bastards!

I used to carry a few old padlocks  under the seat for that very reason,  but for the more heinous crime of parking behind and really blocking me in, especially with the steering lock on! Happened a lot at the post office!  Now, with age, I park where this is less likely. Too many cameras about. But boy can they park like twxts around here. 

7 hours ago, keyman said:

Cheques? (Checks) - Do people still use those? I haven't used a cheque for nearly ten years!!

Usually, it's a little old lady who apparently doesn't trust using a credit card or a debit card.  So they carry around a checkbook.  

At this point, even credit cards and debit cards are starting to become a thing of the past, as you can now use your phone to pay for things if you have it set up that way.  

9 hours ago, VPI78 said:

... well if they are steroid abusers it won't be with the ole meat and veggies.

Actually I missed a step in the daily activity of the typical steroid ape - it should be thus:

-pump iron in the gym all morning;

-spend all afternoon in a tattoo parlour;

-strut around town with no shirt at night so the rest of the world can admire your bodily "progress"...

Baht buses with bells that don't work, or sirens which scream out at 300db in the rear of the cab.

Baht bus drivers who slam the brakes on at every stop.

Girls, usually hi-so wannabes who fucking stand in my way looking at their phone when I've got a mug of tea and a scone on a tray and want to pass them in Starbucks Central Festival. They stand there where you get your stuff delivered, yet won't move when you're trying to maneuvre your way around to get down the stairs and to a table. I find just saying "fucking move" gets their attention.

Farangs in muscleman T shirts and Ali Baba bodybuilding pants to disguise their small cocks, poncing around in Ibar and acting hard.

Baht bus drivers who pass you by when you try to flag them down.

• Upvote 2
  • 3 months later...
On 10/22/2019 at 5:21 PM, Butch said:

Girls, usually hi-so wannabes who fucking stand in my way looking at their phone when I've got a mug of tea and a scone on a tray and want to pass them in Starbucks Central Festival. They stand there where you get your stuff delivered, yet won't move when you're trying to maneuvre your way around to get down the stairs and to a table. I find just saying "fucking move" gets their attention.

I have to really check myself when abroad with this kind of thing. I'm not a body builder but I play a lot of rugby and I'm not a small guy at all. Often when in Thailand, people (particularly groups of men of a certain ethnic persuasion, I'm not going to get racial) who are half my size will just keep walking towards me side by side when I have nowhere to go on a pavement but to step out on the street. I've been so tempted before to knock them over like skittles but I think it's a cultural thing, so will move out of the way even though at home I would never do that. I just don't think they realise how rude they're being.

• Like 1
On 2/7/2020 at 6:05 PM, Pabst said:

I have to really check myself when abroad with this kind of thing. I'm not a body builder but I play a lot of rugby and I'm not a small guy at all. Often when in Thailand, people (particularly groups of men of a certain ethnic persuasion, I'm not going to get racial) who are half my size will just keep walking towards me side by side when I have nowhere to go on a pavement but to step out on the street. I've been so tempted before to knock them over like skittles but I think it's a cultural thing, so will move out of the way even though at home I would never do that. I just don't think they realise how rude they're being.

would these be the same race of people where the men will hold hands while walking along, unaware of the connotations in our society?.

It is a cultural thing, in conversation they're very polite but their social skills and social manners really need a bit of polishing up. I do agree with you, the number of times I've been shoulder barged despite trying my best to get out of the way, but there's never been any kind of comeback, they just carry on walking as if it is normal.

Butch, i have taken to just stopping and let them walk around me. Let them figure it out. Not at all aggressive , just indicating i would't want to accidentally bump them. I thought when i moved here, "don't be one of those grumpy old men. Not working as planned but i do try to control it. It comes from most BM's have lived our lives giving and expecting civility ,manners and even deference unless dealing with a jerk.

• Like 1

What really gets up my nose, apart from many of the things already mentioned by BMs, is when I'm the first to arrive at a recognised, i.e. commonly chosen, baht bus hailing point on Thappraya Road near the lights at Thepprasit Road, and am joined by a gaggle of Russians/Thais. When a bus arrives and stops near them, they think nothing of piling in with no regard for the old bugger who was already waiting and should have precedence. Germans are like this too, they abhor queues and it's every man for himself.

The other one is baht bus passengers who ring the bell/buzzer to get off, sidle round to the front passenger window and only then start grubbing around in their pockets/backpack for the entirely predictable 10 baht fare, rather than getting it ready before they get off. Really annoying if you're in a hurry to get somewhere.   

• Like 1

Speaking of grubbing around for change, I get annoyed when I'm held up at the checkout counter by a lady that insists on digging around, searching the bottom of her purse, to find that last one baht coin so she can pay the exact amount due.

21 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Speaking of grubbing around for change, I get annoyed when I'm held up at the checkout counter by a lady that insists on digging around, searching the bottom of her purse, to find that last one baht coin so she can pay the exact amount due.

Well, the exact same thing happens to me at least 3 times per week in my local supermarkets in Australia....

Among a plethora of my pet peeves are 1) farangs who insist on saying "soya" instead of "soi". 2) farangs who insist on saying JoNtieM instead of "JoMtieN" 3) Thais who are totally ignorant of their own personal space. 4) Thais who always park a motorbike across an entrance or in a gap where they are blocking passage for pedestrians. 

Right now I'm sat in a restaurant next to an ignorant farang who's playing youtube or such like at a volume every customer can hear in German language. Waitress too polite to tell him to switch it off. Usually it's the Russians who do this. 

37 minutes ago, 4niceight said:

Right now I'm sat in a restaurant next to an ignorant farang who's playing youtube or such like at a volume every customer can hear in German language. Waitress too polite to tell him to switch it off. Usually it's the Russians who do this. 

I really think it's a shame their parents didn't teach them better manners. Hate being their surrogate parent, but I have no trouble telling someone to use headphones. Or if no headphones then don't play their music, videos, games or other sound making devices in public places.

2 hours ago, 4niceight said:

Right now I'm sat in a restaurant next to an ignorant farang who's playing youtube or such like at a volume every customer can hear in German language.

This has become a regular annoyance of mine on public transport in London. Everything from old black ladies listening to sermons, to guys taking in football matches and, inevitably, kids sharing music.

I suspect it's not helped by some phones now coming without headphone jacks.