Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 244 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Pattaya faces water shortages

http://www.pattayanewsflash.com/announcements/november_2019.html

The Provincial Waterworks Authority's ( PWA) branch in Pattaya warns that the city is likely to experience water shortages next year as levels in five major reservoirs in Chon Buri have dropped sharply to only around 32% of capacity.

Mr. Suthat Nutpan, the Office Manager, says that at present, there is less than 13 million cubic metres of water in the five reservoirs, compared with 36.7 million cu/m last year.

Edited by Bazle
  • Upvote 1

Most of it is probably under Chaiyapoon and the R Con Sewer project.

It's probably going to get worse as well, increased demand through massive building projects versus zero investment in infrastructure supplying it. Same thing is happening in parts of Manila, although the electricity supply is also pretty limited at times.

On 11/1/2019 at 4:57 PM, Bazle said:

http://www.pattayanewsflash.com/announcements/november_2019.html

The Provincial Waterworks Authority's ( PWA) branch in Pattaya warns that the city is likely to experience water shortages next year as levels in five major reservoirs in Chon Buri have dropped sharply to only around 32% of capacity.

Mr. Suthat Nutpan, the Office Manager, says that at present, there is less than 13 million cubic metres of water in the five reservoirs, compared with 36.7 million cu/m last year.

It's hard to believe anywhere in Thailand can have a water shortage. With as much water as we have been getting, there is no reason the reservoirs should not be full. Sounds like it is just complete mismanagement of resources.

• 1 month later...

https://www.pattayamail.com/featured/facing-drought-people-urged-to-conserve-water-281217

Facing drought, people urged to conserve water
By Jetsada Homklin -December 21, 2019

The Provincial Waterworks Authority urged Pattaya residents to conserve water amid the threat of shortages next year.

PWA Pattaya Manager Sutat Nutchpan said Dec. 19 that water volumes in the Mabprachan and Huay Chak Nok reservoirs have decreased steadily, forcing the utility to slow tap-water production.

In October, the PWA said Pattaya could face its greatest water shortage in more than five years due to low levels in Chonburi reservoirs feeding the city.

Sutat said residents should reuse water where possible, such as using laundry and dish-washing water to water plants or even for daily showers. He said water meters should also be checked and trees – natural sources of water retention – should be preserved.

I don't think conserving water comes naturally to Thai people. My Mrs uses it like there is an infinite supply. I remember when we first moved in together and she was on the crapper, I would hear it flush 3 times. Why on earth would she do that? I actually reduced that, but telling her made no difference to her automatic actions. I  put a small valve on the line so it takes longer to refill.... and hence you cannot do flushes in quick succession. Even when she does washing up or stuff like that, she lets taps run, if I am anywhere near the water pump I can hear how she uses water as it is kicking in and out for long spells. House cleaning day she uses more than Sabai Land and Sabai Dee put together... if I went by the lake that day surely I could see the level going down.

Pattaya City Hall fails again in my eyes if the place is subjected to cuts, some small businesses will be effected, all the MPs.... imagine even a restaurant if you can't flush it down, quite unpleasant. I bet big plastic buckets are being filled a plenty. 

My neighbours have automatic sprinklers, pools that have reserve tanks that top-up automatically with a ball cock... services that back wash so water is thrown away. I have collected rain water off the roofs but can only hold maybe 4m3. Gets used for some plants, but that will be gone soon, never mind, the Mrs will get the hose pipe out.

Edited by jacko
2 hours ago, jacko said:

Even when she does washing up or stuff like that, she lets taps run, if I am anywhere near the water pump I can hear how she uses water as it is kicking in and out for long spells.

Must be a Thai thing..... at home in the UK Mrs Fiend is like that..... she won't use a washing up bowl, she washes stuff under a running tap..... good job our house is not on a water meter!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Worst drought in four decades looms

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1829304/keeping-taps-from-running-dry

Thailand has been battling seasonal drought for decades, but this year, the Office of National Water Resources (ONWR) is worried the water shortage may get out of hand because of the potential for conflicts in drought-stricken areas.
>
>
>
Bangkok is also expected to launch a number of short-term measures to deal with the water shortage, including the deployment of extra tanks to drought-hit areas and the drilling of wells for groundwater extraction.

Despite these measures, this year's drought is expected to be much more severe according to the Thai Meteorological Department's (TMD), this year's drought will be the worst in four decades.

According to Mr Somkiat, this year's drought is caused by the same weather pattern that caused less-than-average precipitation to fall across Thailand last year.

Last year's storms brought heavy rainfall to some areas, but it wasn't enough to replenish the four major dams which supply millions of people along the Chao Phraya river basin with water, he said.

Precipitation dropped by about 30-40% and as a result, there are only enough water in Tak's Bhumibol dam, Uttaradit's Sirikit dam, Phitsanulok's Kwai Noi Bamrung Dan dam and Lop Buri's Pasak Jolasid dam to supply water for household consumption only.

The Central region will be hardest hit this year, especially the 22 provinces along the Chao Phraya river basin.

At least Bangkok recognizes there is an immediate drought problem. Same cannot be said for the governor of Chonburi.

Chonburi Governor reassures residents that Pattaya and Chonburi has enough water to last to the rainy season

The only way Chonburi is going to make it to the next rainy season is if they start water rationing now. My estimate is our main supply, Mabprachan Reservoir, is dropping 1/2 meter every two weeks.

Pic of the pumping station for the reservoir taken on 26 December.
49276664953_67fcde11a7_b.jpg

In another week I'll update the following topic to see if my estimate of 1/2 meter every two weeks holds true.

From the FCO website:

Thailand is experiencing a drought that has led to some sea water entering the fresh water supply and tap water. This issue may continue for several months. Thailand’s Metropolitan Waterworks Authority advise that there is no risk to public health from drinking tap water but salty water can affect people in higher risk groups, such as those with kidney disease. If you are concerned about the risks to your personal health, you should drink bottled water and/or get medical advice.

3 hours ago, keyman said:

From the FCO website:

Thailand is experiencing a drought that has led to some sea water entering the fresh water supply and tap water. This issue may continue for several months. Thailand’s Metropolitan Waterworks Authority advise that there is no risk to public health from drinking tap water but salty water can affect people in higher risk groups, such as those with kidney disease. If you are concerned about the risks to your personal health, you should drink bottled water and/or get medical advice.

What is the source for bottled water in Thailand?

Apparently in preparation for the expected drought supermarkets are ordering loads of bottled water, last drought the major issue was the shortage of containers. I believe also the guys who manged to obtain water,and had tanker trucks,were bribing the utility to turn off the supplies as their business flourished, We actually had a few spits of rain last night but no benefit. 

• 3 weeks later...

Talk about dry? We live about 50 kilometers south of Loei city. We have lived up here for more than ten years. We have a small farm with a pond not far from our house. This year the pond totally dried up. In all these years this is the first time that has happened. The only good thing about the dried up pond is that I was able to hire a big Cat excavator. I have wanted to make the pond bigger and deeper for several years but that was impossible when it had water in it. He increased the depth and size considerably. Now we need a decent rainy system to fill it back up. 

My wife farms quite a bit of land, 65 rai. That's fairly big considering the average family farm in this area is 10 rai. Her rice and sugarcane crops were devastated. Fortunately we don't have to depend on farm income. The poor local farmers are really hurting.

On 1/13/2020 at 1:15 PM, jacko said:

Apparently in preparation for the expected drought supermarkets are ordering loads of bottled water, last drought the major issue was the shortage of containers. I believe also the guys who manged to obtain water,and had tanker trucks,were bribing the utility to turn off the supplies as their business flourished, We actually had a few spits of rain last night but no benefit. 

What about water for hotels, restaurants, laundries and so many businesses that use a lot of water for cooking and cleaning; showers, etc? A lot of fish come from ponds I believe. Rice production. This could get very serious, not that it isn't already. 

How long before the water needs beyond bottled water can no longer be met? How big an area in Thailand does this affect? Is it nationwide?

2 hours ago, midlifecrisis said:

What about water for hotels, restaurants, laundries and so many businesses that use a lot of water for cooking and cleaning; showers, etc? 

And what about the the soapies! ☺️