Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Questions on obtaining a extension of stay based on retirement.

I am hoping to move to Thailand next year, on a retirement visa (or rather extension of stay based on retirement). With the introduction of mandatory health insurance, the application for an OA visa in Australia seems to have become “too complicated”. It is not the need for health Insurance, but rather the difficulty in purchasing from a Thai company whilst in Australia. Looking at this forum and information from Pattaya Expats web site, I believe I can follow the process outlined below??

1. Enter Thailand on 60 day tourist visa. (or enter on 30 day visa exempt)

2. With at least 15 days remaining on permission to stay, apply at Jomtien Immigration for a “Non-Immigrant O” visa.

3. Once granted, this will give another 90 days stay.

4. Set up Bank Account and deposit at least 800,000 baht, should be “seasoned” for 2 months (initial application) before applying for retirement extension.

5. Bank account can be in Foreign Currency (allowing for fluctuations to stay above the 800,000

6. With at least 10 days left on the 90 day O visa, apply for one year retirement extension.

If this is correct, then I have 60 +90 =150 days before the need for the retirement extension, which would allow sufficient time to set up bank account etc.

Questions.

Is my understanding of the sequence to be followed correct?

60 day tourist visa OR 30 day visa exempt? Which is better to obtain? Or does it not matter.

If I come on a 30 day visa exempt, will I encounter any problems renting an apartment on a 6 month lease?

(I am off course over 60, and will naturally have health insurance, preferably from Australia)

Thanks for any input.

17 hours ago, Blackwell said:

Is my understanding of the sequence to be followed correct? ==> That looks correct.....just make sure your passport meets the requirements for empty pages & validity period.

60 day tourist visa OR 30 day visa exempt? Which is better to obtain? Or does it not matter. ==> Doesn't matter, either way will work

If I come on a 30 day visa exempt, will I encounter any problems renting an apartment on a 6 month lease? ==> No problem.

Yes the sequence is correct.

Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa should not be any different wrt getting to the extension, other than the TV  gives more time, a Visa Exempt can require an outward flight ticket. Make sure you are aware of what is required to convert that entry to a Non-Imm-O. 

I have no idea whether renting an apartment will prove difficult with a short Visa, renters are quite desperate and if you come up with the deposit and advance rent I think they will not worry too much. 

Don't over commit initially, Pattaya is changing and some people want a divorce after the honeymoon phase. 

Good luck. 

• Upvote 2

Thanks very much to InCider and Jacko for their helpful replies.

I understand Jacko’s advice about Pattaya changing- it is three years since I last visited, and my expectations of a retired life there may be more fantasy than reality. Well, I can but try it.

Maybe a bit later than I hoped.

3 hours ago, teelack said:

So much to the point that perhaps it should be pinned! I haven't seen a better summary of the situation.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

That is the situation to date, but does not cover other options such as using 'income' rather than the 800,000 deposit. The latter needs to be seasoned for 2 months before the Extension application, retained for 3 months after (verified a Jomtien), and then half can be used, ie retain 400,000 baht until 2 months before the next renewal, where it needs to be back up to 800,000 baht. There is also a marriage Extension option and agent assistance. 

I am more reticent to pin it as the requirements may likely change in the future, there have been a few changes in the last year as it is. 

Edited by jacko

I got my 9th extension yesterday at Changwattana.  Have blisters on my feet today because I haven't worn dress shoes for a year, nor long trousers.  For the second consecutive year, I was the only one there wearing a tie.  They treated me like royalty.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Larryst said:

Is their a good visa company in Pattaya, that does all the paper work for a retirement visa.

Yes a few up soi 15 which runs between Soi Buakhao and 2nd Rd behind the Avenue, and  Key Visa located across from the Big C on Sukhumvit, near Pattaya Tai. Also soi 13/2. Price depends of course how much one needs them to do for you. 

Rhino Tusk's remark is very true. If one has all the financial requirements, quite easy to do oneself, particularly if one has had an Extension based on retirement before. (It isn't really a Visa, but a one year Extension on a Permit to stay). The only other issue is what type of Non-Imm Visa one starts with, an O-A would also require health Insurance. 

• Like 1