Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's the establishment press who are naturally rather liberal in the West. And many people take note of what the media say and it can and does dictate their opinions. I've got a couple of pals who d

Not all the British people are sheep just the 13.9 million who voted tory.

Pal, I just looked up your old 'Bust' thread. You started it April 2008! At this rate and my current age, perhaps it is something I need not fret over. 

Posted Images

20 and a few satang to the USD in 1975, but a red note went further.

Memory fading in my dotage, but I thought the USD was below 30 in the last 15 years.

• Upvote 1

https://pattayaone.news/thai-baht-is-facing-a-reversal/?fbclid=IwAR1qug7Zkq351jdOdCafr9B4cAm-Cyroqm8QUvDHKB592azOfadkCP-u7Qc

by Mark Kelly     December 23, 2019

The Thai baht’s heady gains are petering out, thanks to slowing growth and a central bank that’s bent on taming the currency’s strength.

After clocking an 8 percent rise this year, Asia’s best-performing currency is losing momentum as easing United States-China trade tensions damp its appeal as a haven. Falling yields on local bonds and equity outflows are adding to the pressure.

The baht has defied the broad weakness in regional currencies as investors sought refuge in Thailand’s safe but low-yielding debt.

A hefty current account surplus and a sizeable pile of foreign reserves helped reel in global funds.

But, the tide has started to turn. The baht has climbed just 0.1 percent in December, making it the region’s worst-performing currency.

It has dropped 0.2 percent to around 30.2 per US dollar since rallying to the strongest in more than six years in October.

The baht may continue this underperformance if US-China trade relations improve further as Bloomberg’s analysis of 19 emerging-market currencies shows it’s among those that are least responsive to the yuan’s move.

The baht’s retreat in December came as the central bank lowered its economic growth forecasts, citing global risks.

November trade data due Monday may confirm the slowing trend, with the nation forecast to have recorded its first trade deficit since April as both exports and imports shrank.

The baht is expected to decline 1 percent to 30.5 per US dollar by end-2020, a performance that would put it behind all but three of its Asian peers, according to a Bloomberg survey of analysts.

If Thailand’s growth weakens, this could fuel further selling in Thai stocks and weigh on the baht.

The 12-month foreign outflow from domestic equities is already above the five-year average.

On 12/25/2019 at 1:32 AM, nkped said:

20 and a few satang to the USD in 1975, but a red note went further.

Memory fading in my dotage, but I thought the USD was below 30 in the last 15 years.

Only 6 years ago it was as low as 29.....

Screenshot_2019-12-28 Exchange Rate Average (US Dollar, Thai Baht) - X-Rates.png

• Upvote 1
On 12/24/2019 at 3:44 PM, maik said:

I have never seen the baht so high. ?

It is all the other currencies that are low compared to baht.

No lol.....all the other currencies (our own) are weak against the USD on the other side of the currency pairing

3 hours ago, Rawhide2 said:

No lol.....all the other currencies (our own) are weak against the USD on the other side of the currency pairing

That's that bloody Trump fellow to blame for that. He can't do a thing right.

Hi,

Just checked $/baht exchange rate. Americans haven't done too badly. It's people who have £'s who have been shafted over the years.:yikes: Click ALL on the charts.

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/bank-of-england-spot/historical-spot-exchange-rates/usd/USD-to-THB

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/bank-of-england-spot/historical-spot-exchange-rates/gbp/GBP-to-THB

Edited by wacmedia
adding info
2 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Trump didnt force the British people to vote for Brexit. If Sterling/Dollar was at the same level before that fateful day Sterling/Baht would be sat at 47 today down from the day before Brexit  because of the Bahts appreciation against the Dollar since that time

Edited by Rawhide2
  • Haha 1
16 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Barack Obama was the POTUS during the initial Brexit vote. He was against Brexit, and even made a trip to the UK to show his support for David Cameron’s position on the matter. DC used the Brexit vote as a referendum on his keeping or resigning his office. I sincerely hope all other comments relating to the baht/pound take this into account going forward. 

• Confused 1
8 hours ago, The Mook said:

Barack Obama was the POTUS during the initial Brexit vote. He was against Brexit, and even made a trip to the UK to show his support for David Cameron’s position on the matter. DC used the Brexit vote as a referendum on his keeping or resigning his office. I sincerely hope all other comments relating to the baht/pound take this into account going forward. 

Note that Boris kept his distance from Trump in the run up to the election.

2 hours ago, nkped said:

Hi,

Trump isn't that popular in UK. He gets a very negative press, never seen it as negative for another President.

POTUS and his Corporate Tax cuts incentivized big business to bring back trillions being held in banks outside the US to avoid the high US tax rate.   Did this help the US economy and hurt overseas banks?  US budget deficit hit an all time high and interest rates are trending down.  In the US retailers are offering 5 year ZERO interest to spike end of year sales numbers.  Cheap money to be had in the US and the Fed Reserve is dealing with a cash crunch....crazy but it's the reason exchange rates are falling.  The perception is Citizen in Country XYZ wants Ben Franklins and not XYZ currency in his pocket (safe deposit box) thus the USD is over valued when the Fed problems in the US and EU are boiled down to the simple fact that everyone is printing more money and the US is doing it via cheap loans with ZERO interest.  Bottom line is the price of pussy will get expensive especially in Thailand in 2020    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/10/fed-qe4-could-happen-before-years-end-credit-suisse-says.html

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, yogi100 said:

But Joe Bloggs isn't given a voice. However he made his feelings heard in 2016 on Brexit and just recently in the general election when Trump gave Boris his blessing, even ex mining communities voted Tory and they got an overall majority of 80 seats. Let's hope he does not betray that trust.

Hi,

Lets hope so. The WWC are hated by the the liberal "elite". They are really pissed off with the switch but what are the people to do ?

• Thanks 1
On 12/29/2019 at 6:07 PM, nkped said:

Boris had to box clever in order to keep everyone happy to be sure of winning that election. And Boris is aware that the electorate are as easily led as are sheep. If the media says Trump is a rascal then many of those sheep will take it as gospel.

But thankfully most of us have had a belly full of the liberal's cracked pottery and their celebrity supporters like Edie Izzard and Lily Allen and the rest of 'em with their weeping and wailing and are beginning to see the wood through the trees.

There are liberals among the Conservatives not just among the Labourites and Lib Dems and any distance being kept from Trump was to placate them. But in the end it was Joe Bloggs who put Boris in Number Ten because Joe has refused at long last to be one of those sheep that till now were so easily manipulated by the likes of those hand wringing nancy boys at the BBC.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Boris had to box clever in order to keep everyone happy to be sure of winning that election. And Boris is aware that the electorate are as easily led as are sheep. If the media says Trump is a rascal then many of those sheep will take it as gospel.

But thankfully most of us have had a belly full of the liberal's cracked pottery and their celebrity supporters like Edie Izzard and Lily Allen and the rest of 'em with their weeping and wailing and are beginning to see the wood through the trees.

There are liberals among the Conservatives not just among the Labourites and Lib Dems and any distance being kept from Trump was to placate them. But in the end it was Joe Bloggs who put Boris in Number Ten because Joe has refused at long last to be one of those sheep that till now were so easily manipulated by the likes of those hand wringing nancy boys at the BBC.

The sheep that voted for Boris are now being led to the slaughter house.

Brexit just keeps on giving,

Happy new year.

• Downvote 2
10 hours ago, yselmike said:

The sheep that voted for Boris are now being led to the slaughter house.

Brexit just keeps on giving,

Happy new year.

You a referring to the majority of the British people as sheep. You are stating that a peoples who want independence from being controlled remotely from Brussels as sheep? 

I don't even understand the OP....the baht is quite strong rather than low. Sterling has improved against the USD since the general election. The baht is also strengthening against the USD. Below 30 this morning. 

Happy New Year. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, jacko said:

You a referring to the majority of the British people as sheep. You are stating that a peoples who want independence from being controlled remotely from Brussels as sheep? 

I don't even understand the OP....the baht is quite strong rather than low. Sterling has improved against the USD since the general election. The baht is also strengthening against the USD. Below 30 this morning. 

Happy New Year. 

Here you again spreading falsehoods the majority of the British people didn't vote for Brexit or to elect Boris.a majority was gained in the two votes but it's not a majority of the British people ,only a majority in a election and a referendum.

Facts please.

Happy new year. 

• Downvote 2
6 hours ago, yselmike said:

Here you again spreading falsehoods the majority of the British people didn't vote for Brexit or to elect Boris.a majority was gained in the two votes but it's not a majority of the British people ,only a majority in a election and a referendum.

Facts please.

Happy new year. 

Alright, a classifier.... of the people who could be bothered and were eligible to vote, the majority voted for Brexit 

You are trying to create a false impression based on people who did not vote. Trying to include those who are ineligible and couldn't be bothered?

What you posted sounds to me like an opposition to the true process of democracy... 

What on earth does a 'majority was gained mean? Anything like a 'majority was  won'.....?

Reality Please...and as Boris (the PM)  said this morning....

“a fantastic year and a remarkable decade for our United Kingdom”

Unlike you he does not see the British people as sheep!

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 1

I moved to Thailand in early 1991. The exchange rate then was 25 baht to a dollar. I left Thailand when the economy crashed. I worked five years in Kalifornia and absolutely hated it. I knew that I would be retiring in Thailand when I was financially able, I was lucky when planning my retirement, I used an exchange rate of 25 to a dollar. I had the feeling that the baht would likely eventually go back to that exchange rate. I bought a decent condo when the exchange rate was still 41 baht to a dollar. It has been getting stronger every since. I figure that I'm still ahead at 30 baht to a dollar.

On 12/29/2019 at 3:17 AM, The Mook said:

utterly bizarre