Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Confusing day at immigration

Went to do a 90 day today and was handed a tm 47 which i filled out once when i first moved here but not since. Then the lady at the 90 day desk said to go to room 10 then come back. Room 10 was packed out the door. I did't get a number so it seemed a bit chaotic.  A nice fellow in line glanced at my papers and said i probably don't have the right ones. He had a lease agreement. Rather than wait i went home and will return Monday with my lease and TM 30.  Ive been here a couple years but this was new to me. Any guidance? 

From your post I gather you didn't have your TM30 receipt with you, thus the probable reason you directed to the dreaded room 10. Go back with both the TM47 and TM30 and you should probably get processed with no further delays.

BTW, the TM6, TM47 and TM30 I keep paperclipped in my passport so it's always available if asked for at immigration.

2 hours ago, sailingbill said:

Went to do a 90 day today and was handed a tm 47 which i filled out once when i first moved here but not since. Then the lady at the 90 day desk said to go to room 10 then come back. Room 10 was packed out the door. I did't get a number so it seemed a bit chaotic.  A nice fellow in line glanced at my papers and said i probably don't have the right ones. He had a lease agreement. Rather than wait i went home and will return Monday with my lease and TM 30.  Ive been here a couple years but this was new to me. Any guidance? 

This sounds totally fucked up, why should you need a lease for a 90 day report?  You didn’t say where this was.  Jomtien, I assume.  I always do 90 day reports via registered mail, you can do them online, too.

Yea thanks ,  Yes Jomtien,  i dont get it . Have done many 90 days without this. Room 10 was packed out the door so maybe something yet again new. Ill return on Monday with my lease and TM 30.

Just wondered if any one else encountered this.  Ah Force missed your post , yes i will do this Monday. Most likely the problem. And Rhino ,Mail or online for me now on.

I was due for a 90-day in Jomtien on Tuesday, and expected Immigration to be packed with people after the New Year break - and so it was, there was a queue stretching outside the main door into the car park. I took my place and gradually shuffled nearer to the door, when a lady suddenly appeared and asked if there were any 90-day people waiting. I said yes, and she handed me a number slip showing 475. I went to counter 4 and no. 476 was being processed, so I waited literally 20 seconds and presented my slip to the officer when 476 had left. She told me she had already called 475, and I told her a lady had just given this to me in the queue. Passport was duly processed, new 90-day clipped into it and I was back out of the building within 5 minutes of arriving. A real stroke of luck, I had expected to be there for at least one hour. No TM30, no lease required. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, sailingbill said:

Went to do a 90 day today and was handed a tm 47 which i filled out once when i first moved here but not since. 

Were you late doing this report?

"Slightly"! on topic...I just phoned the local Thai Consulate, in the U.K.  To book my 60 day visa for later this month...Im "sure"! it used to be £25? I was told today it is now £40?

Seem to be more difficult and more expensive to get visas now? Later this year, I will finish work..I then intend to get a 60 day visa , and extend that for another 30 days in Patts....seems like its getting to be a pain to do it now though?!

Bill, I don't know how you are with a computer but doing a 90 day report on-line is straightforward.... well it has been for me, although the window is a little tighter than if you go to Soi 5 yourself. (between 15 and 7 days before due).  There is a phone App too, although I have not used that, had someone recommend it to me today, but I hate filling forms in on the phone... not designed for people who have six left thumbs.

It sounds like you have been subjected to the TM30 obligation ...... it is a requirement for a property owner, manager or possessor to register a foreigner at a residence within 24 hour of their arrival. Even if it is yourself. It is arbitrarily enforced around Thailand. But as is with many things here, presents immigration with an opportunity to 'fine'.. ie get money. It sucks. 

It is so stupid, I have been here 15 years and never done one for myself, I renewed my extension recently and it was not mentioned. I have only ever submitted one for a guest at my home once, that was a waste of a lot of my time too!

Thanks Guys, not late but due Monday.  I think it may be the Tm 30 . I have lived in the condo for 2 years and the Real Estate company filed Tm30 with both leases. Problem is most likely

I did not report my return from the US in Sept. So I'll pay the fine and do online report if the site supports Chrome Books.

Always appreciate the feedback and advice on this board.

1 hour ago, sailingbill said:

Thanks Guys, not late but due Monday.  I think it may be the Tm 30 . I have lived in the condo for 2 years and the Real Estate company filed Tm30 with both leases. Problem is most likely

I did not report my return from the US in Sept. So I'll pay the fine and do online report if the site supports Chrome Books.

When you go back I would recommend having the TM30 in your passport, but not bring it up unless they ask. Chances are if they're interested in at all, they'll see it in the passport and that will be the extent of their interest in the TM30.

BTW, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you have a grace period of a week from when the 90 day report is due before the fine kicks in.

• Upvote 1
Stay in a hotel the night before your immigration visit. A reputable hotel will do a current TM30 report for you.

Sent from my ASUS_X00HD using Tapatalk

• Like 1
1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

BTW, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you have a grace period of a week from when the 90 day report is due before the fine kicks in.

That is correct for reporting in person. The online system is available from 15-8 days prior to the due date.

1 hour ago, sailingbill said:

Too late to use the online system if the report is due on Monday. The window for online reporting is 15-8 days begore due date.

Not sure if the system supports Chrome Books. Originally it was set up for Explorer only. I have only ever successfully submitted online witb Explorer. 

22 hours ago, marleyboy said:

"Slightly"! on topic...I just phoned the local Thai Consulate, in the U.K.  To book my 60 day visa for later this month...Im "sure"! it used to be £25? I was told today it is now £40?

Seem to be more difficult and more expensive to get visas now? Later this year, I will finish work..I then intend to get a 60 day visa , and extend that for another 30 days in Patts....seems like its getting to be a pain to do it now though?!

Marley from reading elsewhere on Thaivisa the consulates dont ask for the bank deposits accounts employment etc etc for Tourist Visas. (dont hold me to that though)   Its probably worth the extra £15 to get a quick visa with zero hassle

As such its only the Royal Thai embassy in London that want the works it appears

(Again double check first) I'll be using the Cardiff one which I used to use in the 90's

Edited by Rawhide2
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Yes, if you file in person at immigration the window is 15 days prior, to 7 days late.  Why TM30 is so rigid is another matter!

3 hours ago, tallguy said:

Too late to use the online system if the report is due on Monday. The window for online reporting is 15-8 days begore due date.

Not sure if the system supports Chrome Books. Originally it was set up for Explorer only. I have only ever successfully submitted online witb Explorer. 

Rumored to work with Firefox, and I know Chrome works too. 

On 1/4/2020 at 7:48 AM, Rawhide2 said:

Marley from reading elsewhere on Thaivisa the consulates dont ask for the bank deposits accounts employment etc etc for Tourist Visas. (dont hold me to that though)   Its probably worth the extra £15 to get a quick visa with zero hassle

As such its only the Royal Thai embassy in London that want the works it appears

(Again double check first) I'll be using the Cardiff one which I used to use in the 90's

Thanks for that.

Its the Cardiff office I use as it goes!

I "usually", go for 4 weeks, so the free 30 day visa is what I nornally get. Ive gone for 6 weeks or more a few times over the last few years though...sure it was £25 then?!

From this winter time..I plan on getting a 60 day visa, then either getting a 30 day extension in Pattaya, or else just flying somewhere nearby..then getting another 30 day visa on arrival?

I will be spending about 3 months at a time in Thailand from next Winter...so I figured that would be the easiest way to do it?

47 minutes ago, marleyboy said:

Thanks for that.

Its the Cardiff office I use as it goes!

I "usually", go for 4 weeks, so the free 30 day visa is what I nornally get. Ive gone for 6 weeks or more a few times over the last few years though...sure it was £25 then?!

From this winter time..I plan on getting a 60 day visa, then either getting a 30 day extension in Pattaya, or else just flying somewhere nearby..then getting another 30 day visa on arrival?

I will be spending about 3 months at a time in Thailand from next Winter...so I figured that would be the easiest way to do it?

Yes definately. You can extend the Tourist Visa by 30 days (personally have never stayed longer than hard up against the first 60 days) but then no reason why you couldnt obtain the VOA for 30 days subsequently as well

• Like 1
On 1/4/2020 at 7:48 AM, Rawhide2 said:

The UK consulates haven't had the on-line applications inflicted upon them so its still 'old school' applications by mail or in person the fees are subject to a surcharge if you elect for a 'while you wait' service (last time I did a SETV in person it was £30 +  £10)

• Like 2

Update and thanks to the Board  on my  "confusion" . Totally different experience today. Arrived  0815, line out the door but moving quickly.  Line out the door at room 10 .  23 people ahead of me at the 90 day desk but  also moved quickly . Same IO .The people directed to room 10 seemed confused and took time asking questions.  I thought wait until they see room 10.  Force you nailed it! She was most interested in the TM30. Stapled it in my passport. "You stay same place '   Yes 2 years.  The 90 slip comes out of the computer. Out the door 08:50. No fine for my failure to report return from the US last year.   

• Like 1