Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Phillipine NAIA suspending flights due to volcanic eruption.

The Taal volcano is spewing out a lot of ash and as such has meant that a lot of, possibly all flights into and out of NAIA suspended for the time being. Lake Taal and Tagatay are about 45km from us in Bacoor (give or take) and land there is very expensive as the air is (was) cleaner and the views of the lake pretty spectacular, however, even in our area of Manila (which we just returned to the UK from) people are wearing masks and ash is settling. I've asked the in laws to ping me a few pics.

It's a bit of a shame really because we were planning to build our retirement home near to Taal, our other option being to move near to Legaspi which, ironically is on the doorstep of another active volcano. I did inform her that I don't want to spend my retirement dodging pyroclastic flows, boulders hurled 6 km in my direction and sulfur saturated air. She called me a moaner.

Anyway, anyone flying to the RP and into NAIA might find themselves diverted to Clark or somewhere equally accomodating.

32 minutes ago, Butch said:

The Taal volcano is spewing out a lot of ash and as such has meant that a lot of, possibly all flights into and out of NAIA suspended for the time being. Lake Taal and Tagatay are about 45km from us in Bacoor (give or take) and land there is very expensive as the air is (was) cleaner and the views of the lake pretty spectacular, however, even in our area of Manila (which we just returned to the UK from) people are wearing masks and ash is settling. I've asked the in laws to ping me a few pics.

It's a bit of a shame really because we were planning to build our retirement home near to Taal, our other option being to move near to Legaspi which, ironically is on the doorstep of another active volcano. I did inform her that I don't want to spend my retirement dodging pyroclastic flows, boulders hurled 6 km in my direction and sulfur saturated air. She called me a moaner.

Anyway, anyone flying to the RP and into NAIA might find themselves diverted to Clark or somewhere equally accomodating.

I suspect that when this eruption is over, there won't be another one for a long time. It's a beautiful area of Luzon.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, midlifecrisis said:

I suspect that when this eruption is over, there won't be another one for a long time. It's a beautiful area of Luzon.

It is a nice area, so nice in fact we almost brought a plot of land there, having just seen the sitrep on SKY news, it is looking quite possible it will kick off any time soon. Always the pragmatist, Mrs Butch has said that the land will be much cheaper as it was the same when Pinatubo erupted, so the chance of a bargain , and at the same time ignoring the very high possibility that it might erupt again in a few years time and also ignoring my statement of not wanting to live (or not as the case may be) next door to one.

https://www.cnnphilippines.com/news/2020/1/12/naia-flight-suspensions-tal-volcano-ashfall-ash-cloud.html

Edited by Butch