Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

A BA 747-436 flew on the storm Ciara jet stream from New York to London in a record 4 hours and 56 minutes (I would have hated to be going the other direction).

Apparently speeds reached 825 mph at 35,000 feet.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/378853/ba-flight-breaks-storm-record-time/

Edited by midlifecrisis
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, midlifecrisis said:

A BA 747-436 flew on the storm Ciara jet stream from New York to London in a record 4 hours and 56 minutes (I would have hated to be going the other direction).

Apparently speeds reached 825 mph at 35,000 feet.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/378853/ba-flight-breaks-storm-record-time/

Hi,

Great trip. I wonder how long the journey took London to New York ?

9 hours ago, midlifecrisis said:

As it landed 80 minutes ahead of schedule would the reverse also be true?

Seriously?

I had the great  pleasure  to Captain B777s for 8 years.  Sitting in a jet stream can be extremely uncomfortable for the passengers and our company policy (an Asian Airline) was to request a cruising  level clear of a tail wind JS after a max of 20 minutes.  This was not always possible, but was a better bet than subjecting passengers to hours of uncomfortable travel, with the possibility of  no cabin service.  I understand from former colleagues that this is not the [policy of BA, or other transatlantic operators.     

33 minutes ago, Pine Tree said:

I had the great  pleasure  to Captain B777s for 8 years.  Sitting in a jet stream can be extremely uncomfortable for the passengers and our company policy (an Asian Airline) was to request a cruising  level clear of a tail wind JS after a max of 20 minutes.  This was not always possible, but was a better bet than subjecting passengers to hours of uncomfortable travel, with the possibility of  no cabin service.  I understand from former colleagues that this is not the [policy of BA, or other transatlantic operators.     

Perhaps BA are quite content to suspend cabin service, it is darned difficult to get their attention at the best of times.

Saving fuel must also be a great incentive.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, jacko said:

Perhaps BA are quite content to suspend cabin service, it is darned difficult to get their attention at the best of times.

Saving fuel must also be a great incentive.

we didn't have fuel saving incentives in my airline, which was built originally around a worldwide logistics and cargo business.  I think customer service become a mantra for our owners, translated from their marine business.  It still  seems to work nowadays.  Other, mainly 'old world' airlines don't seem to have that commitment , or the history of being top 5 in another industry, before developing  an airline.   But as my past employers pay  my  pension, I may be a tad biased.  ?  

On 2/10/2020 at 12:50 PM, midlifecrisis said:

As it landed 80 minutes ahead of schedule would the reverse also be true?

Hi,

BBC said it took 2 hours more for the planes flying London to New York.

2 hours ago, wacmedia said:

Hi,

BBC said it took 2 hours more for the planes flying London to New York.

When I went back to school decades ago for my engineering degree, I took a physics class. We had a brief section on calculating airspeed in wind. The formula was actually quite complicated as I recall. I did see another simpler formula somewhere that used sine and cosine. I did a google search and came up with the following for anyone interested. One thing to note is that crosswinds must be considered. It isn't all head or tail winds.

http://colaweb.gmu.edu/dev/clim301/lectures/wind/wind-uv

I am not a pilot so I have to rely on the work of others for this. It is for practical purposes (for passengers) reciprocal gave or take 15 minutes or so at that distance and plane airspeed without wind. 

I imagine the flight is pretty bumpy too. That affects the plane as well I would think as regards forward momentum. But like I said, I am not a pilot and I have little use for mathematical word problems these days unless it regards what I do in the shop or the yard.

What surprised me is that BA were flying a passenger 747. I thought that these days they were only used for cargo routes. I wonder if they still had the tv screens hanging from the ceiling?

Sent from my ASUS_X00HD using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Severn said:

What surprised me is that BA were flying a passenger 747. I thought that these days they were only used for cargo routes. I wonder if they still had the tv screens hanging from the ceiling?

Surprised me as well.

I saw this reported on the Sky headlines and the girl made a total hash of it, she said it was the fastest "supersonic" crossing with speeds in excess of 80 mph!. I did laugh.

The old record stood for 41 years (according to wiki) and was held by a VC-10 ,I may be wrong but there are claims that it was previously held by a Norwegian 787, they may be referring to planes currently in service however. Norwegian did it in 5hrs and 13 mins, the VC 10 in 5 hrs and 1 min.

I think it's a great, because Airlines are phasing out 747's, so with any luck this record will stand for a good time yet.

2 hours ago, Butch said:

I saw this reported on the Sky headlines and the girl made a total hash of it, she said it was the fastest "supersonic" crossing with speeds in excess of 80 mph!. I did laugh.

The old record stood for 41 years (according to wiki) and was held by a VC-10 ,I may be wrong but there are claims that it was previously held by a Norwegian 787, they may be referring to planes currently in service however. Norwegian did it in 5hrs and 13 mins, the VC 10 in 5 hrs and 1 min.

I think it's a great, because Airlines are phasing out 747's, so with any luck this record will stand for a good time yet.

Considering a Virgin Atlantic A350-1000 was only 1 minute slower on the same day then it is possible it will be broken if the similar conditions occur again....

3 hours ago, Butch said:

I am getting seriously irritated by Sky News lately, in their push to make themselves and the world all female they have some dimwits coming out with idiot comments. I switched off yesterday when Kay Burley, said for the fifteenth time how Boris must select a near all female cabinet! 

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, jacko said:

I am getting seriously irritated by Sky News lately, in their push to make themselves and the world all female they have some dimwits coming out with idiot comments. I switched off yesterday when Kay Burley, said for the fifteenth time how Boris must select a near all female cabinet! 

All female news is just fine if it's nude news.

wishful thinking

I am 1000% with you on that irritating, dense, stroppy, untalented and self opinionated ginger cow. She's not a patch on Sarah Jane Mee or Anna Jones, but none of them will ever compare to Angela Rippon !.

Adam Boulton is a good, but a bit gruff at times, but for me the best of the lot is Ian King.

Basic facts though which are easily researched which they got totally wrong is an annoyance.

On 2/12/2020 at 1:20 PM, Severn said:

BA still has and flies quite a few of them -- you can see lots of them sitting at the gates in Heathrow. I was on one from LAX to LHR back in November, and just watched one departing MIA for LHR 30 minutes ago ...

48 minutes ago, gjm said:

BA still has and flies quite a few of them -- you can see lots of them sitting at the gates in Heathrow. I was on one from LAX to LHR back in November, and just watched one departing MIA for LHR 30 minutes ago ...

That is certainly getting your money's worth!

The last time I was on a 747 it was on Eva six or seven years ago or longer. That was one of the last years they flew them to the Pacific west coast of the USA.

Takeoffs were like I was in an old rattle trap jalopy from my youth.

40 minutes ago, midlifecrisis said:

That is certainly getting your money's worth!

The last time I was on a 747 it was on Eva six or seven years ago or longer. That was one of the last years they flew them to the Pacific west coast of the USA.

Takeoffs were like I was in an old rattle trap jalopy from my youth.

In use with Thai too!

1 hour ago, jacko said:

In use with Thai too!

Flew on KLM 747's on my second trip to Thailand... Wasn't impressed...... avoided the 747 since then....

Had a close call on my last trip....the CNX - BKK TG flight we had on our way home was operated by a 747 the day before....  it was normally an A330...

42 minutes ago, TheFiend said:

Flew on KLM 747's on my second trip to Thailand... Wasn't impressed...... avoided the 747 since then....

Had a close call on my last trip....the CNX - BKK TG flight we had on our way home was operated by a 747 the day before....  it was normally an A330...

Flew many many trips to LOS and other places upstairs on a KLM 747.(Enjoying a Grolsch beer).

My last flight Bali-BKK on Thai had an aircraft change from old 747 to old 777. 

31 minutes ago, jacko said:

Flew many many trips to LOS and other places upstairs on a KLM 747.(Enjoying a Grolsch beer).

My last flight Bali-BKK on Thai had an aircraft change from old 747 to old 777. 

The early 777's of Thai are really looking tired and worn out now..... their 747's are probably in the same state as well...

Most trips to LOS I fly in Thai 747s. Yes, they are getting very rattley, often the headphone jacks ( often one in each set of seats), doesn't work  and has to be held in a particular position (I use a sneaky roll of adhesive tape I specially carry from experience) to make it function, and some of the seats don't operate correctly in the recline position, or don't come fully upright. Annoying in the cattle class, but I put up with it as it's only about 8 1/2 to 9 hours from Sydney to Bangkok and the aircraft takes off at about 10.30 in the morning and lands at 4.20 in the afternoon - perfect for me to stay in Bangkok overnight that night. As to how many hours they have racked up, I'd rather not know.