Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

14 hours ago, jacko said:

In use with Thai too!

I only fly EVA now. It is the only airline that allows me to get to Pattaya by mid afternoon. I don't like arriving in the middle of the night. I have to spend a night in Bangkok and prefer to get to my destination and party the evening I arrive. Thai airlines years ago had such a flight. I believe it was even direct back then but I never flew them and all of the negatives I have heard make me just as glad that I didn't.

Unfortunately, airline thats I would love to try are not available here or I would have to fly the longer direction to use them. Flying west with a stop is long enough.

The old EVA 747-400's were Combi's, part passenger and part cargo, if you managed to get a flight in one of these then you have some bragging rights. I've been lucky enough to fly on a 747 SP a few times as well. My best trip though was business on one of EVA's 747's to BKK, upstairs with awesome service and mega comfy seats. That is also ironic as my worst ever flight was on an SAA 747 in economy.

Edited by Butch
1 hour ago, Butch said:

The old EVA 747-400's were Combi's, part passenger and part cargo, if you managed to get a flight in one of these then you have some bragging rights. I've been lucky enough to fly on a 747 SP a few times as well. My best trip though was business on one of EVA's 747's to BKK, upstairs with awesome service and mega comfy seats. That is also ironic as my worst ever flight was on an SAA 747 in economy.

How far back was that? I flew on many EVA 747s but never realized they did this.

9 hours ago, midlifecrisis said:

I only fly EVA now. It is the only airline that allows me to get to Pattaya by mid afternoon.

I thought you had not been here for seven or more years? 

Have you checked the schedules? I had always left Thailand late at night as I wanted to arrive in UK early morning, then I could catch a train on from the airport.... in recent times quite a few carriers switched timings making that impossible (ie arriving in UK much later in the day). That made it impossible without some overpriced taxi. Thank heavens Middle east carriers filled that gap. 

1 hour ago, jacko said:

I thought you had not been here for seven or more years? 

Have you checked the schedules? I had always left Thailand late at night as I wanted to arrive in UK early morning, then I could catch a train on from the airport.... in recent times quite a few carriers switched timings making that impossible (ie arriving in UK much later in the day). That made it impossible without some overpriced taxi. Thank heavens Middle east carriers filled that gap. 

No have been to Thailand but not Pattaya and yes I have checked.

For west coast late afternoon return you leave Swampy around 3 PM. That part I have not checked.  They have been known to change the schedule. Currently November gets me to Swampy at 10:40 AM. Takes off from Seattle at 00:20.

I just checked return. Leave Swampy at 14:40. Lands at at 14:40. Then a two 2 and a half hour drive home. Just need to figure out best way to and from Seattle. May drive and park. Looking for hotels that you can overnight going and park for free in their lot. Did it for Germany once years ago.

22 hours ago, midlifecrisis said:

How far back was that? I flew on many EVA 747s but never realized they did this.

If  I'm not mistaken their entire 747 fleet were Combi's, or at least the majority of them were, easily identified by the rear economy cabin ending rather abruptly and being sealed off with a bulkhead. It was to do with their Cargo product which was one of the foundations of their success in N America. not the kind of thing you'd notice unless you actually were looking for it.

B747_400Combi_276.jpg

• Thanks 1
On 2/16/2020 at 2:56 AM, Butch said:

They weren't all combis.  Worst commercial flight I ever had was a EVA combi.  Low rise seat back.  No sound for the in-flight entertainment.  They didn't want me to turn on the reading light because it would interfere with other people watching the movie.  Before I got an ebook reader.  I was going to try to stand all the way across the Pacific until the flight attendants found a saint in an exit row who was willing to trade seats--the flight attendants' idea, not mine.  While in Phuket checked online and discovered the return flight would be a 777.  Otherwise, I would have bought a new ticket with someone else.

Edited by nkped
On 2/16/2020 at 7:17 AM, midlifecrisis said:

No have been to Thailand but not Pattaya and yes I have checked.

For west coast late afternoon return you leave Swampy around 3 PM. That part I have not checked.  They have been known to change the schedule. Currently November gets me to Swampy at 10:40 AM. Takes off from Seattle at 00:20.

I just checked return. Leave Swampy at 14:40. Lands at at 14:40. Then a two 2 and a half hour drive home. Just need to figure out best way to and from Seattle. May drive and park. Looking for hotels that you can overnight going and park for free in their lot. Did it for Germany once years ago.

Lots of flights from Portland to Seattle.  It would allow you to avoid having to clear TSA at Seatac outbound.

12 hours ago, nkped said:

Lots of flights from Portland to Seattle.  It would allow you to avoid having to clear TSA at Seatac outbound.

I have considered this. I could Uber to the airport or have my son drop me off on his way to work. When I flew from Portland to Fresno a year ago, I was waiting in an area that was next to the Portland to Seattle flight waiting area (actually a shared large area). That flight was cancelled as I sat there. That is likely rare but makes me a bit skittish.

When I lived in the Bay Area, there were a couple of shuttle services that went to neighborhoods along the route to SFO to pick up people who had reserved transport. Door to door. I don't think we have that type of service here. It would be ideal for me.

I have considered mtrack to Seattle and staying overnight in a hotel with a shuttle service. It would be even better if Amtrack had a station at or near Seatac. I don't know. I don't think they do.

Lots of time to figure this out.