Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

good news for expats

There was never a requirement to submit a TM28 when away from your address for over 24 hours that I am aware of. The TM28 was there to report a change of permanent address. The past controversy was the TM30 reporting, which is for a property owner/master/possessor to report a foreigner in his/her property. I believe there is now a TM27 form... I have yet to get my head around this change, but since Jomtiem immigration hasn't ever mentioned TM30 to me (or TM28), I act dumb and have yet to do one for myself. 

Here is a thread about this on ThaiVisa. Note at the end of the OP there is a link to more discussion that will make your eyes glaze over. 

Edited by jacko

Pity they don't do something really useful like bringing back the Multiple Entry O visa based on retirement.

Several falangs I know including myself used to get this visa especially if we wanted to spend our winters in a warmer climate and have a couple of other trips during the same year.

Such visitors are also usually spenders whose money will be missed by the hotels and bars where they spend that money. They now have little alternative but to go elsewhere. Possibly it might be doing some of us a favour. They say some folk don't like change, but it can sometimes be a good thing.

Some years back a pal of mine who was a long time regular in Pattaya started going to Gambia. To date he has never been back to Pattaya and if the exchange rate has anything to do with it he never will.

5 hours ago, jacko said:

There was never a requirement to submit a TM28 when away from your address for over 24 hours that I am aware of. The TM28 was there to report a change of permanent address. The past controversy was the TM30 reporting, which is for a property owner/master/possessor to report a foreigner in his/her property. I believe there is now a TM27 form... I have yet to get my head around this change, but since Jomtiem immigration hasn't ever mentioned TM30 to me (or TM28), I act dumb and have yet to do one for myself. 

Here is a thread about this on ThaiVisa. Note at the end of the OP there is a link to more discussion that will make your eyes glaze over. 

I think Jomtien immigration took a pragmatic view with TM28/30 reporting for people with long term visas. Up until the middle of last year it was not required as long as your permanent address remained the same. At some stage their interpretation changed and you were required to report on re-entering the kingdom, (after say visiting the UK).

No doubt other immigration offices had different requirements.

57 minutes ago, tallguy said:

At some stage their interpretation changed and you were required to report on re-entering the kingdom, (after say visiting the UK).

No doubt other immigration offices had different requirements.

And yet I have read statements that if you return to the same address, it is still not required. 

As stated, I act dumb, don't do it, and await someone to comment. Have to do a re-entry permit soon, maybe then, if I don't get lazy and leave it until the airport. 

31 minutes ago, jacko said:

And yet I have read statements that if you return to the same address, it is still not required. 

Could it be that the treatment of people who own their accommodation is different from those who rent?

30 minutes ago, Bazle said:

Could it be that the treatment of people who own their accommodation is different from those who rent?

Well I certainly believe it is easier for me to do my Extension due to that. But they don't really ask for proof I own it, simply something confirming I live there. 

It is possible I have been there (and here) long term helps too.

50 minutes ago, jacko said:

As stated, I act dumb, don't do it, and await someone to comment. Have to do a re-entry permit soon, maybe then, if I don't get lazy and leave it until the airport. 

If you haven't been out of the Country in the last year you should be OK, but TiT.?

1 hour ago, tallguy said:

If you haven't been out of the Country in the last year you should be OK, but TiT.?

Not since March 2019...

1 hour ago, jacko said:

Not since March 2019...

If you've done an extension since then, assume you are OK.

I can't remember exactly when the interpretation changed, I think it was later than March but wouldn't bet on it.

3 hours ago, tallguy said:

If you've done an extension since then, assume you are OK.

I can't remember exactly when the interpretation changed, I think it was later than March but wouldn't bet on it.

Yes I have and am confident all is well. 

11 hours ago, jacko said:

My immigration here in Chiang Rai makes me check in with in 24 hours of returning home, If you go some where and check into a hotel that's a change of address, the hotel makes a copy of your passport and sends it to the immigration office that your staying there but if you don't stay at a hotel or get one that doesn't do that you OK.

TIT, you never know.A couple years ago i was fined 1600 for not reporting my return from the US.  Never happened again  About a month ago on a 90 day report,i was directed to the dreaded room 10.I just left.After posting here a BM advised to put my TM 30 in my passport. Went back to Jomtien and the same lady looked at the 30 and issued my 90 day.

On 2/22/2020 at 4:50 AM, Olded said:

My immigration here in Chiang Rai makes me check in with in 24 hours of returning home, If you go some where and check into a hotel that's a change of address, the hotel makes a copy of your passport and sends it to the immigration office that your staying there but if you don't stay at a hotel or get one that doesn't do that you OK.

That's the way Buriram did it.  When we moved to Rayong, they said as long as I come back to the previously listed address it isn't necessary.

21 hours ago, tko said:

That's the way Buriram did it.  When we moved to Rayong, they said as long as I come back to the previously listed address it isn't necessary.

I think every immigration office is making up there own rules, reading the law in different ways.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Olded said:

I think every immigration office is making up there own rules, reading the law in different ways.

Yes, very much that is the case. Samui and Phuket seem to be rogues. I think Jomtiem is one of the better ones although their requirement to 'show the money' 3 months after a retirement extension was issued upset a few. Some offices accept mail in and online 90 day reports, some do not. I hear sometimes combination method qualification is rejected here and there, despite it being clearly stated as viable in the Police Orders. Then, add to the mix, sometimes individual IOs who haven't got their head around things also come up with spurious statements. 

3 hours ago, jacko said:

Yes, very much that is the case. Samui and Phuket seem to be rogues. I think Jomtiem is one of the better ones although their requirement to 'show the money' 3 months after a retirement extension was issued upset a few. Some offices accept mail in and online 90 day reports, some do not. I hear sometimes combination method qualification is rejected here and there, despite it being clearly stated as viable in the Police Orders. Then, add to the mix, sometimes individual IOs who haven't got their head around things also come up with spurious statements. 

On another forum there was a post that cited unnamed sources that Jomtien immigration is no longer requiring the 90 day financial report.

As I agree Jomtien is one of the better immigration offices, I wouldn't be surprised if this was true as it would be more efficient to check hat your balance hadn't dropped below 400k in the preceding 12 months at the time of your next extension renewal.