Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Songkran in Pattaya "cancelled"

More extreme measures, this is the Bangkok post reporting and they're usually pretty spot on.

Pattaya city hall have apparently cancelled the "Wan Lai" on the 18th-19th April, which is the big one when it gets even more mental than usual.

I think we all know the effect this is going to have on the bars, the local businesses, right down to the people at street level who rely on the influx of both Thais and farangs during this time of year. I know a few guys in town who run businesses, speaking to one today told me that this is going to decimate an already struggling industry,

It might do the bar owners a favour.

I know several punters who will not come to Pattaya during Songkran. I also know long termers and ex pats who stay in or get out of town and go somewhere else from 13 - 20 April.

18 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Songkran is not cancelled.

Official activities promoted by City Hall have been cancelled.

you mean, "official activities during and in relation to songkran promoted by city Hall" have been cancelled.

The Wan Lai festival is largely regarded as being the main Songkran festival and celebration, it is an official activity, and has been cancelled , hence the correct statement, "songkran is cancelled".

People can still chuck water at each other and celebrate, but as far as City hall are concerned, the official celebration is off.

Simple enough to understand.

1 hour ago, Butch said:

you mean, "official activities during and in relation to songkran promoted by city Hall" have been cancelled.

The Wan Lai festival is largely regarded as being the main Songkran festival and celebration, it is an official activity, and has been cancelled , hence the correct statement, "songkran is cancelled".

People can still chuck water at each other and celebrate, but as far as City hall are concerned, the official celebration is off.

Simple enough to understand.

Shame as its the best day of the celebration  ,

1 hour ago, gs joe said:

Shame as its the best day of the celebration  ,

As many likely say, it would be great if it was the only day and easily avoided by my fellow grouches. 

I just don't expect those infantile ones who regularly enjoy 4-5 days of getting drunk and throwing water about as holding off. Surely most bars profit from the increased numbers in town. We shall have to see..... this virus is going to keep the Europeans, Koreans and Japanese away at least. 

1 hour ago, jacko said:

As many likely say, it would be great if it was the only day and easily avoided by my fellow grouches. 

I just don't expect those infantile ones who regularly enjoy 4-5 days of getting drunk and throwing water about as holding off. Surely most bars profit from the increased numbers in town. We shall have to see..... this virus is going to keep the Europeans, Koreans and Japanese away at least. 

It sounds like a been there once, done that once. Are there a lot of farang repeat "offenders"? It doesn't sound like endless fun to me.

36 minutes ago, midlifecrisis said:

It sounds like a been there once, done that once. Are there a lot of farang repeat "offenders"? It doesn't sound like endless fun to me.

It is mostly farangs throwing water in what seems a malicious way, and they are out of control. Although on the actual last crazy day they are joined by gangs of Thai youths which is seriously a group to avoid. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, midlifecrisis said:

Songkran has some very enthusiastic followèrs. Plenty of guys come every year and will be out playing on Sois 7 and 8 etc, from early in the afternoon until the water runs out.

Personally I don't mind joining in for a couple of afternoons. There is a good atmosphere and the girls really seem to enjoy themselves. However, I get bored with the water throwing very quickly.

• Thanks 1
It is mostly farangs throwing water in what seems a malicious way, and they are out of control. Although on the actual last crazy day they are joined by gangs of Thai youths which is seriously a group to avoid. 
Agree with all .

I did see that throwing water from the back of pickups has been banned , so that would cut out a lot of the Thai youths. That's seems to be their chosen MO .

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, gus in cebu said:

Agree with all .

I did see that throwing water from the back of pickups has been banned , so that would cut out a lot of the Thai youths. That's seems to be their chosen MO .

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

I used to thoroughly enjoy travelling between towns up North to visit various family factions.

The skill required to throw a bucket of iced water at 90 degrees from the back of a pick up travelling over 100Kpm into the air to form a wall of water for an approaching pickup also travelling over 100Kpm at the right height to cause maximum pain, then duck down to avoid their attack would have made my physics teacher and the school of Infantry at Warminster very proud!!!!

• Haha 2