Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Emirates’ flights to London Heathrow will be reduced to two flights a day, while Glasgow, Manchester and Birmingham will be served with one flight a day from 25 March to 30 June, 2020.

These destinations will all be served by Boeing 777s. The airline will also temporarily suspend its fights to Newcastle, London Stansted, London Gatwick and Edinburgh over the same period.

• Confused 1

It's a very tough time for airlines. At least Emirates is bank rolled by the Dubai ruling family. So it should survive 

Edited by tombon
7 hours ago, Brown1950 said:

Emirates’ flights to London Heathrow will be reduced to two flights a day, while Glasgow, Manchester and Birmingham will be served with one flight a day from 25 March to 30 June, 2020.

These destinations will all be served by Boeing 777s. The airline will also temporarily suspend its fights to Newcastle, London Stansted, London Gatwick and Edinburgh over the same period.

Hmm. I fly into London gatwick on the 25th.... or I did!

3 hours ago, helloitsme said:

And on a smaller plane .... My plan was to not prebook a seat at extortionate prices but book a seat on line when online booking opens...OK I'm not flying home now this year (group decision) but in this new situation I'd dump Emirates and fly Sri Lankan..

21 hours ago, Brown1950 said:

"Emirates’ flights to London Heathrow will be reduced to two flights a day."

From where?

On 3/21/2020 at 1:55 AM, helloitsme said:

Update. Thanks to @Brown1950 for this thread. I'd heard nothing from emirate by 2.30, so I tried to ring Emirates bkk office.

Twice.

Gave up at 40 and 50 minutes, and rebooked online for the same flight numbers but 2 days earlier. Had to pay the change fee, (think I read that the website had to charge it) but will argue the toss with Emirates about this when I'm home. 

On 3/21/2020 at 6:34 AM, tombon said:

It's a very tough time for airlines. At least Emirates is bank rolled by the Dubai ruling family. So it should survive 

Dubai is not a particularly wealthy emirate, relying on Real Estate and Trade (Oil less than 2% of GDP). Last GFC, Abu Dhabi bailed them out- with statements like “we are all part of the one country, etc”. There was a cost, including the remaining of the Burj Dubai to Burj Khalifa. (this is a matter of pride).

Would not be over surprised if Abu Dhabi took this as an opportunity to combine both airlines, into a national airline, being off course “Etihad”.

I'm due to leave on Emirates back to the UK on 9-April which obviously won't happen now.

I'm retired so don't have to rush back to a job.

My visa extension runs out on 9-April and I have no problem staying until Emirates recommence flights.

Would anyone have any idea on whether the Thai authorities would waive visa overstay until flights restart?

https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/help/travel-updates/#3515

Looks like they will be starting repatriation flights though...…………..

FLIGHT UPDATES

Emirates will temporarily suspend most passenger operations by 25 March.

Having received requests from governments and customers to support the repatriation of travellers, Emirates will continue to operate flights to the following countries until further notice, as long as borders remain open, and there is demand: the UK, Switzerland, Hong Kong, Thailand, South Korea, Malaysia, Philippines, Japan, Singapore, Australia, South Africa, USA, and Canada. We aim to provide affected customers with updated information as early as possible. To receive the latest notifications on your flight, customers should ensure their contact details are updated by visiting manage my booking. Customers can also check the website for their flight status.

I've just checked in online for my Emirates flights tomorrow evening.... I'm guessing their website is rather overloaded as it took some time to do, and it doesn't want to email my passes to me.

In my mind it's one less opportunity to be bumped off the flight, and I'm sure i can talk to a human at swampy and get them to issue passes.

10 hours ago, larrymac90 said:

Would anyone have any idea on whether the Thai authorities would waive visa overstay until flights restart?

I have not heard yet of this and any comment would be speculative. I doubt anything will be announced as it has been weekend. If one has a letter from the Embassy an extension is possible, but I believe the UK is not issuing them. If you have already used up your allowed 30 day extension to a tourist visa or Visa exempt entry, a further 7 days can be had by applying for another and having it rejected, they would understand why. Personally I would also be concerned about being packed into immigration to get this! I was there to get an unnecessary Re-Entry Permit 12 days ago and that caused me concern. 

Later Edit:

Looks like some accommodation is being made allowing more than the usual single 30 day extension of a TV or VE entry.

See this post on Thai Visa.

954736701_Immigrationmemo30dayextensions.pdf

Edited by jacko

Emirates got me back to the UK.

The bkk-Dubai was delayed for 2 hours, meaning I had a -5minute changeover in Dubai, but they held the gatwick and Heathrow flights as there were loads of us in the same predicament.  The first flight must have had 40 cabin crew/flight officers on board, in full uniform, as passengers, presumably being shipped back to Dubai for transportation back to their own bases. 

Service on both flights was basic, cabin crew rarely appeared in the cabin. Many, but not all, wore masks.

Cant comment on Dubai airport, as my incoming and outgoing flights were 3 gates apart, but bkk was quiet, not empty, but noticeably quiet, and gatwick was deserted, I think we were the only flight to land between 6 and 7am

Lots of comments about how people would still be oblivious to Emirates cancelling flights except for "word on the street", and saying Emirates communications with pax was fairly dire.

• Thanks 1

Got this message from a mate earlier this morning (Wednesday):

"I decided on Monday to come back after talking with Emirates, they were most helpful & for all the people who write crap on social media there must be arseholes bcos I haven't experienced anything bad with them.
I think booking direct with them is a bonus also.
Anyway I got the same flight I would have got on the 30th March, yesterday Tuesday and arrived in the Evening, all well.. but a little bemused by the social distancing in the airport arrivals and luggage pickup area, but most of my journey I wore a mask."

8 hours ago, Bazle said:

Got this message from a mate earlier this morning (Wednesday):

"I decided on Monday to come back after talking with Emirates, they were most helpful & for all the people who write crap on social media there must be arseholes bcos I haven't experienced anything bad with them.
I think booking direct with them is a bonus also.
Anyway I got the same flight I would have got on the 30th March, yesterday Tuesday and arrived in the Evening, all well.. but a little bemused by the social distancing in the airport arrivals and luggage pickup area, but most of my journey I wore a mask."

I booked direct with Emirates as well, and tried twice to talk to them. I was a business class customer, but gave up having been on hold for 40 minutes, and 50 minutes.

The couple next to me on the first flight had been told by Emirates that there were no economy seats available, so they bit the bullet and paid the difference for a business class flight home.