Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Some People Paying Mad rents for Small Condos

I was never a fan of the condo life.  They are often small, cramped and too close to others who can make your life misserable.   I have lived in a condo in Pattaya  for short periods of time, never paying more than 12,000 pm in rent for a 6 month contract. Now, I'm reading a lot of posts on other forums of people paying upwards of 30K for a less that 60 sqm condo. Is it me or is that crazy?  I live in my own house (commany owned)  that is 200 sq m,  and similar houses near me are being rented out for 35K pm, which for a 3 bed house with a private pool is understandable. Why would anyone wish to pay such a  high price for a small condo , outside of Bangkok?  On a related subject, I saw one Jomtien condo, admittedly 3 bed with sea view, on sale for 42 million Baht.  I nearly fell off my chair laughing. 

• Upvote 1

A nicely fitted out one bedroom condo is okay.  A studio, even a larger one, would be oppressive for an extended stay.

1 hour ago, nkped said:

A nicely fitted out one bedroom condo is okay.  A studio, even a larger one, would be oppressive for an extended stay.

I wouldn't like to be self isolating in anything small, let alone a studio. Fast way to madness. 

Location is important.  I lived in this View Talay 6 studio for 2 years.  It was paradise before the building filled up with the Airbnb crowd, then lost it’s sense of community, hardly anyone was living there when I moved in. Who wants to live in a hotel?  Size was not an issue, who wants to pay a/c for a larger place when you’re living alone (some nights), and I rarely watched TV on the balcony (26th floor, Walking Street side), but I could lie in bed and watch the fireworks over Buddha Hill and see Walking Street from the balcony.  The landlord wants 35,000 for this studio now.  I moved to Bangkok for the next 7 years, Trendy Condo on Sukhumvit Soi 13.  You have to worry about break-ins if you live in a house, it’s an issue if you’ve got expensive gear.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, RhinoTusk said:

Location is important.  I lived in this View Talay 6 studio for 2 years.  It was paradise before the building filled up with the Airbnb crowd, then lost it’s sense of community, hardly anyone was living there when I moved in. Who wants to live in a hotel?  Size was not an issue, who wants to pay a/c for a larger place when you’re living alone (some nights), and I rarely watched TV on the balcony (26th floor, Walking Street side), but I could lie in bed and watch the fireworks over Buddha Hill and see Walking Street from the balcony.  The landlord wants 35,000 for this studio now.  I moved to Bangkok for the next 7 years, Trendy Condo on Sukhumvit Soi 13.  You have to worry about break-ins if you live in a house, it’s an issue if you’ve got expensive gear.

all very cute and of course, great music. 

• Upvote 1

I have been in my house for 3 years now., bought it new 5 years ago.  I like the large rooms and big ish garden and of course the pool. I feel its my space, with nobody intruding into it, but that's me, anti social  to the end. 

It really depends what you want..... with a condo you usually get a bigger pool, a gym, your more likely to hangout with your neighbours rather than just pass the time. You can just lock your condo and go explore the country without too many worries

But a house is more people’s idea of a home

• Like 1

A friend has been renting a 2 storey, 2 bedroom villa at Golden Sea in Soi Buakaow for 2 years. Air con, kitchen, small garden front snd rear courtyard, 2 pools etc for 17k a month probably a better option than a condo for many

• Like 2
6 hours ago, biggles said:

A friend has been renting a 2 storey, 2 bedroom villa at Golden Sea in Soi Buakaow for 2 years. Air con, kitchen, small garden front snd rear courtyard, 2 pools etc for 17k a month probably a better option than a condo for many

I tried their website and it said forbidden. Sounds like a good deal. Hope they survive this.

Edited by midlifecrisis

They actually gave a 400 room hotel,  ut only about 12 rooms rented so wanting no customers there. The villas are actually at the back and all  seem to be long term stayers. If it suits you, great location, it might pay you to call into reception and enquire

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
50 minutes ago, biggles said:

They actually gave a 400 room hotel,  ut only about 12 rooms rented so wanting no customers there. The villas are actually at the back and all  seem to be long term stayers. If it suits you, great location, it might pay you to call into reception and enquire

I bookmarked the page for later. I am now hoping late 2021 but that depends on the virus and government policies. I appreciate you turning us on to this place. I must have walked past this place many times but did not pay much attention. A comfortable walk to LKM

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/24/2020 at 8:54 AM, nkped said:

I bought my Jomtien condo many years ago. It took me a long time to find what I wanted. I hate high rises with dark and narrow hallways and worry  about fires. My building is five stories built in a rectangle and open in the middle with plants. I have a corner unit on the third floor. I also wanted a separate bedroom. It is 60 square meters and very livable with lots of storage and a place for a washing machine. My friends were buying shoe boxes and told me I was paying too much and would never get my money back. I didn't buy it to resell, I bought it to live in. No way could I be happy living in a 26 square meter shoe box. I was living alone at the time and knew I would eventually have a live in. She would want Thai TV and I wanted English TV. That meant that I needed a separate bedroom.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

As mentioned, you have to consider lockdowns and other going ons (I was here for the coup.)  Lockdown in a 28 sq.m and I'd be a mental case for sure (or more so.)

So I'd be happy to pay extra for the high floor, the square meters and the ocean view.  Right now the rents are pretty attractive (if the listings on hipflat are accurate.)  Part of the reason I'm pulling the trigger on making the trip now rather than later is cause I'd like to take advantage of selection/lower rates.

• 3 months later...

I have a 3 bed house here in the UK but I moved downstairs 10 years ago because I could no longer do the stairs without a lot of pain so I live in what was my living dining room which is about 30 metres sq.I have a separate kitchen and a small wet room but my living space is not much bigger than the 32 meter condos in Pattaya and I am quite happy living in the small space which is great because I rent out the upstairs of my home as a i bed flat ,having built a kitchen in the small bedroom. So basically what I am saying is not everyone wants or needs a lot of space to live a simple life on your own.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
8 hours ago, sinbinjack said:

I have a 3 bed house here in the UK but I moved downstairs 10 years ago because I could no longer do the stairs without a lot of pain so I live in what was my living dining room which is about 30 metres sq.I have a separate kitchen and a small wet room but my living space is not much bigger than the 32 meter condos in Pattaya and I am quite happy living in the small space which is great because I rent out the upstairs of my home as a i bed flat ,having built a kitchen in the small bedroom. So basically what I am saying is not everyone wants or needs a lot of space to live a simple life on your own.

Couldnt agree more sinbin

I rent out both bedrooms to lodgers again after 2 years with only 1 room rented to a Police guy who recently left

Both now occupied again and I charge cheap rents and pick and choose who comes in......tax free for first £7500 annual as well money for old rope it really is

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Rawhide2 said:

Couldnt agree more sinbin

I rent out both bedrooms to lodgers again after 2 years with only 1 room rented to a Police guy who recently left

Both now occupied again and I charge cheap rents and pick and choose who comes in......tax free for first £7500 annual as well money for old rope it really is

thats the way to do it , make your hard work paying the mortgage pay off when you need it too.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

It’s not always just about the money.  Rent a secure condo at the beach or rent a house?  The rent may be the same, but there are significant differences.  More room in a house, more security in a condo.  And the electric bill will likely be less in a condo.

I’m in a condo and it’s fine for me. I can lock the door and leave for an extended period without having to worry about my stuff.  

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, js007 said:

It’s not always just about the money.  Rent a secure condo at the beach or rent a house?  The rent may be the same, but there are significant differences.  More room in a house, more security in a condo.  And the electric bill will likely be less in a condo.

I’m in a condo and it’s fine for me. I can lock the door and leave for an extended period without having to worry about my stuff.  

I think I could live in a studio condo for an extended period of time providing it was well-equipped and at least 40 sq. mtr.; I've done so already several times for a couple of months and was perfectly comfortable. I'd prefer a lower floor, say up to five stories, so I could avoid the elevators as much as possible and close to a baht bus route so I don't need any transport of my own. I've been living in a house with only 75 sq. mtr. of main living space for 35 years and have no desire for a larger one, and in my part of the world I am growing weary of having to find house sitters for the winter months when I am gone - I got lucky this year for my upcoming trip when an old co-worker moved back to join his daughter who lives across the road from me but it's only for this winter as they will add on to her house next year to make room for him. Sometimes I get the urge to sell off all of my vehicles and other stuff and buy a local condo so that I can walk away any time, but the prices are prohibitive here - too bad, it'd be great to have a condo at both ends and just travel in between whenever I want to without any hassles. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, maipenrai said:

I think I could live in a studio condo for an extended period of time providing it was well-equipped and at least 40 sq. mtr.; I've done so already several times for a couple of months and was perfectly comfortable. I'd prefer a lower floor, say up to five stories, so I could avoid the elevators as much as possible and close to a baht bus route so I don't need any transport of my own. I've been living in a house with only 75 sq. mtr. of main living space for 35 years and have no desire for a larger one, and in my part of the world I am growing weary of having to find house sitters for the winter months when I am gone - I got lucky this year for my upcoming trip when an old co-worker moved back to join his daughter who lives across the road from me but it's only for this winter as they will add on to her house next year to make room for him. Sometimes I get the urge to sell off all of my vehicles and other stuff and buy a local condo so that I can walk away any time, but the prices are prohibitive here - too bad, it'd be great to have a condo at both ends and just travel in between whenever I want to without any hassles. 

Be patient.  There’s a good chance some of the real estate bubbles around the world will pop.  Maybe you’ll get lucky and prices will come down.

I got rid of a house in the USA a few years ago and was thinking about buying another, but the prices got to silly levels, so I decided to go back to Thailand.  Here I can afford to take a side trip every month if I want. Rent and utilities on a condo are minuscule.

• Upvote 1

First years here the avg live in GF lasted 3 days.The current one is past 3 years now so a larger place in the same building would be nice. Im direct beachfront, large pool. Laundry on site, excellent maint. and security,several Rai of gardens landscaped by Noon Nuch. The abnb people quickly got booted which i was very happy about. There are only 6 condos per floor so i never see my neighbors. Used to read the Post on the balcony overlooking Ko Larn  but the girl now tends her farm there. Asked about keeping a couple Bantams for eggs, denied. Rent has not increased for 6 years. Downside is limited transportation available.  But the frustrated farmer in me has me rebuilding the Issan farmhouse to western standards. Yes Virginia toilets can flush, of course when i'm gone the septic field will be filled and replaced with a barrel of water and ladle next to the toilet. Doubt i'll be a permanent resident as i enjoy kayaking along the beach and it's really for her when i'm gone. I've enjoyed VP178's farming post and asked my girl to look for another couple of Rai for cows. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thank you for answering.
I'm glad you told us about the farm too. I find it interesting to read about life in rural Thailand. I also enjoy VPIs NBZ saga and Gary's posts.

Sendt fra min ANE-LX1 med Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
23 hours ago, sailingbill said:

Hey Odense. Rebuilding the typical Issan abode. My specs/wants are simple. Modern design,farang friendly step in hot shower with western toilet,ceiling fans, air con in our bedroom. comfortable front porch.  A corral for a couple cows if i get the nerve.  Also want one of those VP178 and Gary Kubota things to tear up some ground and plant tomatoes but the tractor is separate expense. The specifics are that this is shared with Yoko's sister and husband.I spent 400k and they matched 400k. I've known them for years and they are fine people. The family has given upon farming except for 50 bags of rice a year shared with the extended family so the land is mine to play with. Her sister seems to be a well known and busy seamstress and husband has a small trucking co. One Uncle remains a farmer and we visit him along with many other family members in the evening. Bunch of people sitting and eating on those raised platforms with cauldrons of food over the fire. I really feel at home but don't kid myself that i could stay permanently as im spoiled over the years.  Its for her. 

We all met in Pattaya a few months ago to agree on planning and i rely on them for the construction.  Not sure what's going on but after a rainy season delay got the first videos of a large crane placing tall vertical girders in footings yesterday, thought we were 1 storey.   I'll be up there for Loy Krathong and post pictures and report further cash outflows if any and progress.  

Crap Odense i just realized you were asking about my building here. Sorry for the droning on.  Im at Northpoint on Wong Amat beach.

Forget which forum, but a BM posted he thought he was getting 1 story. Which he did, but the 1 story was several meters off the ground. Not a bad idea if the area is prone to flooding. Could that be what the tall girders are for?

2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Forget which forum, but a BM posted he thought he was getting 1 story. Which he did, but the 1 story was several meters off the ground. Not a bad idea if the area is prone to flooding. Could that be what the tall girders are for?

Exactly the case force