Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

BA hangar foam fire retardant incident

1 hour ago, Butch said:

This is unfortunate..

Unfortunate on so many levels..

- An Engineer lost his job

- Yup garage has to be cleaned up

-  The plane has to go through thorough investigation especially the landing gear for any corrosion

- I for one would not like to be on that plane when it goes through severe temperature changes during a long haul flight just in case a miniscule amount of damage is not found now and is missed by routine maintenance checks in the future ...

But fortunately for me I stopped using any airline that uses T4 or T5 ....

On 5/8/2020 at 1:58 PM, Bullfrog said:

Unfortunate on so many levels..

- An Engineer lost his job

- Yup garage has to be cleaned up

-  The plane has to go through thorough investigation especially the landing gear for any corrosion

- I for one would not like to be on that plane when it goes through severe temperature changes during a long haul flight just in case a miniscule amount of damage is not found now and is missed by routine maintenance checks in the future ...

But fortunately for me I stopped using any airline that uses T4 or T5 ....

Having done some research, this is a genuine function of Fire suppressant gear which was extinguishing a detected fault  on the 777 in question, thus I stand corrected on the "Engineer" point.

Edited by Butch
  • Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Butch said:

Having done some research, this is a genuine function of Fire suppressant gear which was extinguishing a detected fault  on the 777 in question, thus I stand corrected on the "Engineer" point.

Got a link to that story?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Butch said:

It was disputed anecdotally from a friend in the (oil supply) industry

I am not surprised, it is many many years since I worked on fire suppressant systems but they were fitted with a way to  activate them manually back then. 

Quote: You can see that the hangar was mostly empty of people, but it is unclear if there were any injuries or not.  Of course it was empty. Any maintenance crew that may have been present would have taken immediate steps, fucking huge ones, to be out of that hangar. 

5 hours ago, jacko said:

I am not surprised, it is many many years since I worked on fire suppressant systems but they were fitted with a way to  activate them manually back then. 

Don't fire suppression systems have heat sensors to trigger their release? That being the case, then it wouldn't be hard for a person to use a heat source to trigger the system.

12 hours ago, jacko said:

Totally agree. There must be a manual option to activate any fire suppressant system.....

19 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Don't fire suppression systems have heat sensors to trigger their release? That being the case, then it wouldn't be hard for a person to use a heat source to trigger the system.

Yes, along with a big red button someplace as a separate trigger. Then the system would go into pre-alarm so that the room could be evacuated before dumping whatever chemical.. They can be triggered by rapid rise heat sensors, or smoke detectors automatically. Some systems I recall you could actually block the automatic dump.

Edited by jacko
  • Thanks 1

The posted date on YouTube for this video was yesterday (16th May 2020), but no idea if this happened a few days ago or not!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, firth1974 said:

The posted date on YouTube for this video was yesterday (16th May 2020), but no idea if this happened a few days ago or not!

Please be informed that no aircraft were harmed in the making of this video ...

• Haha 2

Genuine giggle at that one Bullfrog ?

If nothing else, the effectiveness of these systems is a very impressive feat of engineering!.

Edited by Butch
52 minutes ago, Butch said:

Genuine giggle at that one Bullfrog ?

If nothing else, the effectiveness of these systems is a very impressive feat of engineering!.

You would think that the primary high pressure foam would be directed at the heat source. Shit it wouldn't take much Engineering with directional hoses/flexible tubes to do that...And Secondary "volume" in the surrounding area..

Perhaps that's how it works , but in this case there was no heat source...

Cleverer (and more sober) people have designed this so I'll just shut up and go to the fridge..

17 hours ago, firth1974 said:

Found an article on the incident. Happened on the 16th.

American Airlines Hangar Involved in Foaming Incident

A foaming incident occurred after a fire extinguishing system was activated in American Airlines hangar, at Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD) yesterday.

At the time of the incident, two American Airlines Boeing 787s, registration unknown, were parked at the hangar. It is unclear if any additional aircraft were in the hangar at the same time.

Source says that the automated fire suppression system was activated by accident. In the video below, it is possible to see the huge quantity of fire retardant foam falling on the aircraft. There is no report of any injuries.

• Like 1