Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jomtienguy

Barry Upton heart attack?

Posted (edited)

Today Barry Upton, our friend and colleague at Pattaya People Media Group, had strong chest pain when he was playing tennis. He was rushed to hospital to be stabilized and treated.

102814784_10158790128366410_1299303419142748024_n.jpg

Edited by jomtienguy

Posted (edited)

There is an online Pattaya ExpatsClub meeting later and maybe more will be announced.

Edited by jacko

Posted (edited)

I don't know Barry but I hope he gets well and bloody well enjoys the rest of his life!

Edited by Bullfrog

9 hours ago, Bullfrog said:

When my Mum had her heart attack at 80 the Doctors said "it isn't the death sentence that it used to be".She died at 93 of an unrelated illness....And in that time she managed a trip to Pattaya...!!!!

I don't know Barry but I hope he gets well and bloody well enjoys the rest of his life!

I have had heart issues and am doing better now that it is diagnosed. My blockage was found during an angiogram in March, 2019 and I had another this April with no change. Diet changes and medications like statin drugs to keep cholesterol low have helped. My angina is gone.

I have a good shot of living another decade plus to get to 80.

Heart disease is rather silent until it suddenly is not. Hopefully Barry will come back from this! He has a good chance in this age of modern medicine.

11 hours ago, midlifecrisis said:

I have had heart issues and am doing better now that it is diagnosed. My blockage was found during an angiogram in March, 2019 and I had another this April with no change. Diet changes and medications like statin drugs to keep cholesterol low have helped. My angina is gone.

I have a good shot of living another decade plus to get to 80.

Heart disease is rather silent until it suddenly is not. Hopefully Barry will come back from this! He has a good chance in this age of modern medicine.

I don't think this is actually about you.

I believe Barry is due to have a stent fitted..... perhaps has already. I wish him fast recovery.

57 minutes ago, jacko said:

I believe Barry is due to have a stent fitted..... perhaps has already. I wish him fast recovery.

That was my fault. I'm sorry about that . I have deleted that part of my comment.

I hope that getting a stent fitted is as common here as it is in UK where it is quite a "production line" operation...It is in Bournemouth hospital anyway .....

1 hour ago, jacko said:

Sorry, was trying to be encouraging. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bullfrog said:

That was my fault. I'm sorry about that . I have deleted that part of my comment.

I hope that getting a stent fitted is as common here as it is in UK where it is quite a "production line" operation...It is in Bournemouth hospital anyway .....

I believe Barry is at the place in Sri Racha, which surprised me as he seems pretty wealthy, and I sort of expected the BHP, where fitting stents is a frequent procedure. They do have (or did) a Scots chap there to liase via and the hospital was keen to serve foreigners. The guy did quite a few talks at the Expats Club too, but not for some years. Barry used to attend a lot too but again not of late. Tennis mad if a I recall. Always struck me as a sport someone mid-60s should avoid especially when so hot.

Edited by jacko

45 minutes ago, jacko said:

I believe Barry is at the place in Sri Racha, which surprised me as he seems pretty wealthy, and I sort of expected the BHP, where fitting stents is a frequent procedure. They do have (or did) a Scots chap there to liase via and the hospital was keen to serve foreigners. The guy did quite a few talks at the Expats Club too, but not for some years. Barry used to attend a lot too but again not of late. Tennis mad if a I recall. Always struck me as a sport someone mid-60s should avoid especially when so hot.

It would be interesting to get feedback if getting a stent fitted here is an inpatient or outpatient operation. Without giving an off topic example it is outpatient in UK ...

1 hour ago, jacko said:

I have 2 stent's implanted at different times. Pretty much a piece of cake as they don't even put you under.

The next day, they said goodby....

34 minutes ago, Bullfrog said:

It would be interesting to get feedback if getting a stent fitted here is an inpatient or outpatient operation. Without giving an off topic example it is outpatient in UK ...

Here in Hawaii, it usually is inpatient. In my case, they medivacted me from a neighbor island and they ran a bunch of tests that took a day or so, and then I sat for 2 days waiting for the machine to free up for the procedure.. 

35 minutes ago, Bullfrog said:

The cases I know of here have all been inpatient. It would seem sensible to keep a person in for observation at least over-night. One had complications of bleeding from the entry point at the thigh. Of course here they also like to make money.

35 minutes ago, MrMango said:

Here in Hawaii, it usually is inpatient. In my case, they medivacted me from a neighbor island and they ran a bunch of tests that took a day or so, and then I sat for 2 days waiting for the machine to free up for the procedure.. 

Yep, in both cases (yours and Barry's) you were already in. Again I'm trying to keep myself on topic so shan't give any examples..

36 minutes ago, jacko said:

Of course here they also like to make money

Same as the NHS .....same same but opposite ..

It's great that we live in a time where a procedure involving the heart can be done in a matter of minutes and the patient sent home the following day.

I've met Barry a few times through a mutual friend, I hope he's doing well and trust he will make a full recovery, he's in very good shape for his age (sorry Barry lol) so will hopefully be playing tennis within a month or so, albeit at a slightly reduced pace. 🙂

Happy that your friend is doing well. But why have a heart attack with present abilities to survey.? Gary posted that Skygods last words were a complaint of shoulder pain, an Aneurysm,? heart blockage?.  There are things that come from no where that will bite you. Find it early, late doesn't matter , your toast.  But some things  known and fixed will keep you on Soi 6 another decade. Stress test, CT scan for calcium, CTA, Angiogram.   A friend from Bangkok called me last year, "Bill im having CP what do you think? I think your an ass hole, to call me, call your cardiologist. He had a hx of stents. In the angio suite within the hour, all good.

3 hours ago, Butch said:

It's great that we live in a time where a procedure involving the heart can be done in a matter of minutes and the patient sent home the following day.

I drove my Mother to Bournemouth General to arrive at 7am.I sat with her for premed checks then she was wheeled in around 0830...I collected her right as rain later that afternoon/early evening...All of my aunties had the same experience elsewhere....None stayed overnight.

I had a stent fitted two weeks ago, was kept in overnight unexpectedly as another artery was pierced during the procedure and a 45 minute 'routine' surgery turned into a four hour medical emergency as the bag the heart is in filled with blood. I thought my time had come! Stenting is exceptionally commonplace but not without risk. I was admitted as a day patient and was scheduled to go home three or four hours after the intervention but was held back for another 24 hours for monitoring. 

Surprised to see only 2 stickers  on Barry for the ECG/EKG....normally many more, often eight.

Also, if he had an angiogram to identify the blockage, then a stent is normally placed at the same time, whilst the catheter is in situ and already in the heart, why wait for another day? 

Lets hope he makes a full recovery!

If entry is via the femoral artery (accessed at the groin) the risk of bleeding is far greater than the preferred route of going through a radial (wrist) artery. The recovery time then becomes a week or two, with no lifting, no stress allowed on the stomach muscles rather than a couple of days.

35 minutes ago, Billions said:

I had a stent fitted two weeks ago, was kept in overnight unexpectedly as another artery was pierced during the procedure and a 45 minute 'routine' surgery turned into a four hour medical emergency as the bag the heart is in filled with blood. I thought my time had come! Stenting is exceptionally commonplace but not without risk. I was admitted as a day patient and was scheduled to go home three or four hours after the intervention but was held back for another 24 hours for monitoring. 

Surprised to see only 2 stickers  on Barry for the ECG/EKG....normally many more, often eight.

Also, if he had an angiogram to identify the blockage, then a stent is normally placed at the same time, whilst the catheter is in situ and already in the heart, why wait for another day? 

Lets hope he makes a full recovery!

If entry is via the femoral artery (accessed at the groin) the risk of bleeding is far greater than the preferred route of going through a radial (wrist) artery. The recovery time then becomes a week or two, with no lifting, no stress allowed on the stomach muscles rather than a couple of days.

Not at my first cath procedure but before my second, the doctor told me in the prep area that one in a thousand can die from the stent procedure. That was a bit shocking. Fortunately, no change and no stent was necessary. It opened my eyes metaphorically speaking.

They prepped my groin the second time but not the first. Both were through the right wrist. As you suggest, that is the better option but circumstances can require going through the femoral artery.

Glad to hear you are doing better! A scary situation for sure.

11 hours ago, midlifecrisis said:

Not at my first cath procedure but before my second, the doctor told me in the prep area that one in a thousand can die from the stent procedure. That was a bit shocking. Fortunately, no change and no stent was necessary. It opened my eyes metaphorically speaking.

They prepped my groin the second time but not the first. Both were through the right wrist. As you suggest, that is the better option but circumstances can require going through the femoral artery.

Glad to hear you are doing better! A scary situation for sure.

My impression was that the last line of all medical warnings was "or you could die."