Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Do we need the "Nightmarch" sub forum?

It seems a very seldom replied to section (2013 by the looks of it), would it not be better archived somewhere and replaced with something new to inject some new discussion and topics ?. I understand the topics were posted by Martin and are all locked. Perhaps a new "archive" or "Epic threads from the past" section would be made up?.

Maybe open up a thread for discussion and a vote?.

Do we need any more or new sub forums on PT?.

Just throwing an idea around...

• Upvote 2
It seems a very seldom replied to section (2013 by the looks of it), would it not be better archived somewhere and replaced with something new to inject some new discussion and topics ?. I understand the topics were posted by Martin and are all locked. Perhaps a new "archive" or "Epic threads from the past" section would be made up?.
Maybe open up a thread for discussion and a vote?.
Do we need any more or new sub forums on PT?.
Just throwing an idea around...
This has been tried in the past but to no avail. As I read it the forum has not grown at all. It's years since I have seen a post in Hotels /Accommodation. I suggested a regular forum to assist people wanting to learn Thai but there was no interest. Seems like most people want to discuss politics judging by the number of password protected topics. So very sad for something called Pattayatalk.com.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, teelack said:

I suggested a regular forum to assist people wanting to learn Thai but there was no interest.

Yes I saw that...I would liked to have given my experiences of learning Thai, Isaan Laos/Kmer over the past 25 years living in the village here but it became more about speaking and reading Thai correctly which is something I haven't a clue about....As a comparison I even wanted to give my input on learning Swahili then forgetting everything I learnt after leaving Africa as an example of "use it or lose it" ... but because I would have no practical input on speaking Thai correctly I didn't bother joining in...Sorry mate!

Yes I saw that...I would liked to have given my experiences of learning Thai, Isaan Laos/Kmer over the past 25 years living in the village here but it became more about speaking and reading Thai correctly which is something I haven't a clue about....As a comparison I even wanted to give my input on learning Swahili then forgetting everything I learnt after leaving Africa as an example of "use it or lose it" ... but because I would have no practical input on speaking Thai correctly I didn't bother joining in...Sorry mate!
In fairness, I believe most casual forum members are looking to converse informally. As I tell people, I don't need to know the Thai word for philately as I don't come to Thailand to collect postage stamps! It's as much about daily usage and an addition to the Thai holiday experience as learning the language. As I have already conceded, at my age tones are almost impossible therefore I am always looking for ways to communicate with the locals wherever I go. Incidentally, experience has taught me that a few minutes with a good Thai speaking Farang is always time very well spent.

35 minutes ago, teelack said:

In fairness, I believe most casual forum members are looking to converse informally. As I tell people, I don't need to know the Thai word for philately as I don't come to Thailand to collect postage stamps! It's as much about daily usage and an addition to the Thai holiday experience as learning the language. As I have already conceded, at my age tones are almost impossible therefore I am always looking for ways to communicate with the locals wherever I go. Incidentally, experience has taught me that a few minutes with a good Thai speaking Farang is always time very well spent.

But sometimes experiences are difficult to put into writing..

Not long ago my Thai friends were taking the piss out of me because I got the tone wrong with "lai" as in Pla Lai (eel) and Hoy Lai (clam) and I used the rising tone of pla lai when saying hoy lai .....Funny yeh? ...Of course it isn't funny but if you are sitting around a table drinking hongthong then it is fucking hilarious .....

12 hours ago, Bullfrog said:

We can have a faux thai visa forum where we all pretend to be rich pompous bastards that have  lived here twentygazillion years, know everything about Thailand, can get our visas done legally faster than we have sex

Don't get me started... I try to lighten the mood over there on TV  with a wise crack and it is deleted in seconds and a Mod will make a post calling me a troll! I get more posts deleted over there in a week than I delete in a year on here.

Mods don't have the power to re-organise the Forums and Sub Forums, we can move posts between them, but I am rather amused by people claiming there is no information in the Hotels Forum, when often one gets posts about guns and Politics in there. Don't be overly worried about the odd 'conversation,' we let them ride,  but ultimately they get so far off topic.....  here is an idea, start a new topic yourself in a suitable section.

Nightmarch used to be a great regular poster, by Duncan Stern, as per Monkeywatch nowadays.

I notice the previous post is discussing Thai tones and eels...... don't worry Bullfrog, I won't remove it,!?

Edited by jacko
  • Haha 1

Next time I go for a walk down buakho at 8am I'll make a point of asking anyone I see drinking if he's Bullfrog.   But it could be some time before I get there so please be patient.

Sorry for threadfucking...I hope this doesnt get deleted....555