Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Expedia: nightmarish experience

After spending hours on the phone and calling about 2 dozen times and numerous emails, I was finally able to cancel my flight to Bkk for July 1 and received some credit

I had booked a flight with Korea airlines. The airline or Expedia don’t care if a traveler can legally enter the country or not

Or can a traveler meet the travel restriction conditions or not

As long as they got your money, they will care little to help you

note:  sarcastic and mister smarty pants people need not reply

Edited by syed
  • Downvote 1
38 minutes ago, syed said:

After spending hours on the phone and calling about 2 dozen times and numerous emails, I was finally able to cancel my flight to Bkk for July 1 and received some credit

I had booked a flight with Korea airlines. The airline or Expedia don’t care if a traveler can legally enter the country or not

Or can a traveler meet the travel restriction conditions or not

As long as they got your money, they will care little to help you

Why should they care? Its not their job to know if Americans or Brits are allowed into certain countries! That's your job to know that! You cant blame the airline or company because of your own stupidity! 

• Upvote 3
43 minutes ago, firth1974 said:

Why should they care? Its not their job to know if Americans or Brits are allowed into certain countries! That's your job to know that! You cant blame the airline or company because of your own stupidity! 

Then why do the airlines check passports and visa documents at the checkin time?

They want to be sure if the traveler can legally enter the country or not

It is stupid to think that airlines should be selling tickets to Iranians or Afghanis to USA, while knowing of travel bans 

• Like 2

Tickets can be bought many months in advance of travel. 

At that time, neither the airline nor the sales staff can know what the entry requirements will be at the time of travel. 

At check-in time, the rules will be known and if you don't meet the requirements, you will be denied boarding because on arrival, the airline will be responsible for returning you to your departure point.

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, syed said:

Then why do the airlines check passports and visa documents at the checkin time?

They want to be sure if the traveler can legally enter the country or not

It is stupid to think that airlines should be selling tickets to Iranians or Afghanis to USA, while knowing of travel bans 

They sell you the ticket and check documentation after ,

most advise you to have required documentation  they don’t tell you what is required , 

37 minutes ago, gs joe said:

They sell you the ticket and check documentation after ,

most advise you to have required documentation  they don’t tell you what is required , 

I am sure your government has that information online just as the US Department of State has such information. I think the airline just wants to book seats.

The USA DoS quick facts related to Thailand travel:

PASSPORT VALIDITY:

6 months from date of entry recommended

BLANK PASSPORT PAGES:

1 page per stamp

TOURIST VISA REQUIRED:

No, if your stay is less than 30 days

VACCINATIONS:

Yellow fever may be required if arriving from certain countries with yellow fever

CURRENCY RESTRICTIONS FOR ENTRY:

None

CURRENCY RESTRICTIONS FOR EXIT:

None

38 minutes ago, midlifecrisis said:

I am sure your government has that information online just as the US Department of State has such information. I think the airline just wants to book seats.

Yes, my point being 

I’m responsible to look it up , 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
48 minutes ago, gs joe said:

Yes, my point being 

I’m responsible to look it up , 

Agreed. Most of us have traveled enough to understand that it is our responsibility. I knew a guy who was refused boarding because his passport expired within six months of his flight. He could have found that out. He was a bit clueless; very naive. He got a nice flight to SFO and got to drink beer in a Bay Area bar for two weeks. 

Some people missed the point of my post

The reservation was made long  before the travel ban, so it was my responsibility to know that 

However when I told the Expedia about the travel ban, they were reluctant to cancel. They gave me a run around

Like any business, “SALES” are done quickly but “RETURNS” are very slow.   In my case it is was painfully slow

• Like 2
1 hour ago, syed said:

The reservation was made long  before the travel ban, so it was my responsibility to know that 

However when I told the Expedia about the travel ban, they were reluctant to cancel. They gave me a run around

Like any business, “SALES” are done quickly but “RETURNS” are very slow.   In my case it is was painfully slow

They are hemorrhaging money these days. At least they came through in the end. There may be failed travel businesses of all types in the future, from cruise lines to airlines and even booking companies on the internet. Even when restrictions are lifted, many will be hesitant to travel. Company revenues will be way down. You are correct, once they have your money they are and will be reluctant in this environment to part with it. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, syed said:

As MLC said, it's not just Expedia doing this, bear in mind all of a sudden these companies saw a sudden stop of cashflow, coupled with demands for bookings made over the last year to be returned. I don't think any company has the financial strength to weather that kind of a storm.

It is a sad fact of life and I feel your frustration, that the people on the end of a phone in these places have a pre written "refund script" which they use in order to delay, then dissuade people from pursuing it further. Very often it is older people who fall for this tactic.

You did well to get a refund, it sucks that it took so long but at least now you have something back, there are many others who lost everything.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
8 hours ago, midlifecrisis said:

I am sure your government has that information online just as the US Department of State has such information. 

Actually he's from New York

12 hours ago, midlifecrisis said:

I am sure your government has that information online just as the US Department of State has such information. I think the airline just wants to book seats

And if I book a flight from Bangkok to Bali Thai airways are expected to ask the UK governement how many pages I have left in my passport?