Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

If you've cancelled this year, what plans do you have for next?.

As per the title.

Will you double up next year if you can, or maybe have a lot more to spend and play with and maybe splash out a bit?. Maybe that side trip you've always wanted, or even perhaps extending beyond your usual stay?.

I've mentioned elsewhere that the budget for my trip this year is going to act as a cushion if anything goes wrong, but once the uncertainty is more or less a thing of the past, I intend to use it and maybe add a bit more to it for next years trip. If nothing else this whole saga has perhaps taught us all that anything can indeed happen, out of the blue.

we all work to a budget, and sometimes it's more fun if that budget has an inbuilt flexibility to it, especially as we aren't entirely sure of the effect this will have on prices, rates and perhaps air fares.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The International Date Line is what sponsors use in their home country to phone their thai girlfriend up on isn't it ???

I had a couple of trips to LoS in the second half of 2019, so not missing it as badly as some seem to be. In fact, I've enjoyed the last few months of 'lockdown' in the UK, as it has allowed me time a

I suppose the existence of  Eastern and Western Hemispheres has been overlooked. ?

Posted Images

Can't really make any plans at the moment, but probably won't book a trip until the end of any quarantine requirement on arrival....

The only plan that seems to be set in stone is I'm retiring in 21 months time....

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, TheFiend said:

Can't really make any plans at the moment, but probably won't book a trip until the end of any quarantine requirement on arrival....

The only plan that seems to be set in stone is I'm retiring in 21 months time....

Not a bad time for salting a few extra pounds away. Wait a minute. You're from the UK. That can be taken two ways.

:clueless

• Upvote 1

I shall be 70 next June so I am sort of thinking about doing something then, but if things are back to normal come January I might not be able too resist a February break from the winter.The exchange rate will be a big factor in the decision about length of stay or if I travel at all and any health issues that may pop up out on the bicycle most days up to 50km a trip now.

2 hours ago, yselmike said:

I shall be 70 next June so I am sort of thinking about doing something then, but if things are back to normal come January I might not be able too resist a February break from the winter.The exchange rate will be a big factor in the decision about length of stay or if I travel at all and any health issues that may pop up out on the bicycle most days up to 50km a trip now.

I was headed there for number 70 in November. I hope they find a vaccine or I will likely never get to go back.

:cry1

• Like 1

A vaccine, plus proof it works- i.e. elimination of covid virus and ability to purchase travel insurance.

I’m planning for March 2021. (hopeful).

Then a six month stay. At least.

Pencilled in  Southern Spain or Canaries this winter and am looking at Pattaya hopefully around November 2021. I just think that before then the restrictive measures will make it farcical.

The money I would have put away for my next Thailand trip has gone into my campervan conversion and a few new guitars. 4th of July seems to be when staying away from home overnight is allowed so I'll be enjoying my investment somewhere In the UK. 

Undoubtedly I'll get called back to work as soon as enjoying yourself is allowed again. On the plus side I've got 10 holiday days from last year left to add to my new entitlement from mid July so I'll still be able to hit the road for a bit. 

Thailand is on the naughty step at the moment.  Shit exchange rate and not welcome anyway. If both those things change then maybe I'll look into another trip. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
39 minutes ago, accyboy said:

Any info in the camper conversion , find my self looking at vw transporters but they hold there money too well for my pocket ! 

I shall start a little write up on mine. What I've learned and my thoughts on vehicle choice. I'll do a new thread so as not to fuck this one. 

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, la8rat said:

I shall start a little write up on mine. What I've learned and my thoughts on vehicle choice. I'll do a new thread so as not to fuck this one. 

I look forward to following it...!!!

• Upvote 1

(I just posted this in another thread) Throwing in the towel for a visit this year. A few weeks ago,I was booked for March 30,2021. Then I felt foolishly optimistic enough to change to a Nov. 3 departure for a 2 week visit. Foolish me!!! So I bit the bullet today and changed to an April 22 departure for a 16 day visit. Hopefully by then there will be a vaccine-I can always hope, right? And that vaccine may mitigate some entry requirements along with a negative Covid test result if required or an antibodies result. I'll be 2 months short of 70 when I arrive. 

Edited by 4wheels
  • Like 2
39 minutes ago, accyboy said:

As long as the exchange rate stays like it is I won’t be returning been 4/5 years since I went to Cambodia so a return trip may well be on the cards .....

What about the US$3000 deposit the Cambodians are asking from tourists?

3 hours ago, accyboy said:

That will be dropped I’m hoping by the time I’m going ....

Was reading the Cambodia forums just yesterday and apparently the big money guys are going nuts about the $3000 deal. They have empty hotels that need filling. 

It won't last long at all is the common opinion. 

• Thanks 2

It's this time of year that I normally book my air travel for my next trip, usually for departure in November; since there doesn't seem to be much point trying it this year I am really not sure when I'll go back. I've decided not to work this summer either so even if I did return to Thailand it probably wouldn't be for more than a month or two visit anyway, not the five months I have become accustomed to over the last few years. I too would like to see the exchange rate improve significantly before I make any more plans - XE.com is showing my Canadian dollar at only 22.57 today - and there are places a lot closer to me than Thailand where my money goes much further.  

• Like 1

My ideal trip is to double up and spend a couple of months in Thailand. Like everyone else however I have a lot more questions than answers. It really comes down to so many factors and it would require my home, any transit points and Thailand to be done with any form of isolation/quaratine. There is also the troubling aspect of health insurance and I really would hate to travel without it however as I have mentioned elsewhere I would get my bank to extend the limit on my credit card to say, $50,000

Then there are the costs. Will there still be great accommodation bargains? Will the reduced number of airlines and possible seating changes increase the costs massivly?  Will there be financial disincentives to travel overseas from my own government? 

There is however one other thing that I keep hearing that I am unsure about. This is the savings to be made by not travelling. All very well but the interest rates universally are still dropping so my investments have taken a hammering and like others I did some dollars on the sharemarket retreat and the volitility could cost m more in the future. I have been buying shares while prices have been down but I am still uncertain if its the "Never try to catch a falling knife" syndrome and I will get burned further. 

I guess the bottom line is that none of us know how this will pan out and making plans is an exercise in futility. 

• Upvote 2

Living in Pattaya , I guess my situation is a little different than many.
On my 2020 travel agenda was .

2 trips to Philippines , same as every year ( 1 of which is a Songkran escape )

A trip to NZ for a long planned family reunion that my brothers had put an enormous amount of work into.

A trip to Perth WA for sons 40th birthday ..and a grandkids catch-up

Regardless of missing all that I feel I would have rather have been here in Pattaya during the pandemic than almost anywhere else.
It's been relatively painless, with lots of freedom of movement, access to necessities of life, warm weather and mildish wet season.
Planning for 2021 ?
I don't know ..there's lots of Thailand I haven't seen.

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
On 6/28/2020 at 11:21 AM, accyboy said:

As long as the exchange rate stays like it is I won’t be returning been 4/5 years since I went to Cambodia so a return trip may well be on the cards .....

The piss poor Sterling/Dollar exchange rate follows us whatever Country we go to. Seeking better "value" elsewhere like in Cambodia and the Phillipines makes sense as you say

I was scheduled for late March,2021,got overly optimistic and rebooked for Nov 3,2020 and now have rebooked for mid-April 2021. I can change back to an arrival this year if things change as I much prefer a visit sooner than later. It is a long haul from South Florida that requires an overnight stay on the US west coast and then a change in Tokyo.And it gets more difficult the closer I get to 70. Just 1 more visit, please.

• 2 months later...

My two trips over June/July/August this year obviously covid cancelled ?

TBH, cannot see how I can have any plans for 2021.  There are so many pieces of the puzzle that are yet to line up to enable even a stab in the dark as to when I will next travel.  Might even be 2022 - who knows???  Anyway, will be 70 after May 2022 so airport transit would be easier then...

The bad things:

Current Oz ban on overseas travel must be lifted.

Airlines must schedule return flights .

I will not travel while two week quarantines are in force (at either end) as my trips are only 30 days each.

In the past I travelled on the complimentary insurance provided by Allianz through my credit card.  Any covid insurance would have to be affordable AND available.

Covid free certificate might be impossible to get on a <72 hour basis.  Then what happens to the booked airline tickets??? 

Will have to have a good look at what the Pattaya situation on the ground is at the time.  Still worth the effort???

The good things:

Plenty of funds available (including Thai bank account).

Am retired, so can basically leave and return whenever I like, although normally I travel during my local winter.  

• Thanks 2