Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

If you've cancelled this year, what plans do you have for next?.

On 9/14/2020 at 6:29 AM, Barhop said:

My two trips over June/July/August this year obviously covid cancelled ?

TBH, cannot see how I can have any plans for 2021.  There are so many pieces of the puzzle that are yet to line up to enable even a stab in the dark as to when I will next travel.  Might even be 2022 - who knows???  Anyway, will be 70 after May 2022 so airport transit would be easier then...

The bad things:

Current Oz ban on overseas travel must be lifted.

Airlines must schedule return flights .

I will not travel while two week quarantines are in force (at either end) as my trips are only 30 days each.

In the past I travelled on the complimentary insurance provided by Allianz through my credit card.  Any covid insurance would have to be affordable AND available.

Covid free certificate might be impossible to get on a <72 hour basis.  Then what happens to the booked airline tickets??? 

Will have to have a good look at what the Pattaya situation on the ground is at the time.  Still worth the effort???

The good things:

Plenty of funds available (including Thai bank account).

Am retired, so can basically leave and return whenever I like, although normally I travel during my local winter.  

Top post indeed

So many issues up in the air. I simply will not be returning until we can turn up at immigration with a smile and nothing else. As such I reckon 3 years at least possibly longer. I can hardly be bothered with the Girls in the first place so having to quarantine at own expense and jump through hoops is an absolute no no from me

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The International Date Line is what sponsors use in their home country to phone their thai girlfriend up on isn't it ???

I had a couple of trips to LoS in the second half of 2019, so not missing it as badly as some seem to be. In fact, I've enjoyed the last few months of 'lockdown' in the UK, as it has allowed me time a

I suppose the existence of  Eastern and Western Hemispheres has been overlooked. ?

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Rawhide2 said:

Top post indeed

So many issues up in the air. I simply will not be returning until we can turn up at immigration with a smile and nothing else. As such I reckon 3 years at least possibly longer. I can hardly be bothered with the Girls in the first place so having to quarantine at own expense and jump through hoops is an absolute no no from me

Thanks for the response.

Agree, the three year scenario would be sad but not unrealistic...  The quarantining at own expense (also at either end for me) and the exreme hoop jumping is beyond the pale and must relax...

If nothing else changes, will have to find something else to spend my money on ;).  TG in my hometown visits (now Saturdays - today) every week and I really do enjoy her company and efforts.  Do pay more than I need to, on my own initiative, over a number of years.  Rewards are great massage, no rush, good company and sincere relationship.  Sometimes in Pattya, while having ordinary massage, I wonder what the bloody hell I am doing there!!!  All that said, I do still want to return, probably more now for the holiday aspect (and hot weather in my winter) than the TG availability. 

Cheers

• Upvote 1
47 minutes ago, Barhop said:

Thanks for the response.

Agree, the three year scenario would be sad but not unrealistic...  The quarantining at own expense (also at either end for me) and the exreme hoop jumping is beyond the pale and must relax...

If nothing else changes, will have to find something else to spend my money on ;).  TG in my hometown visits (now Saturdays - today) every week and I really do enjoy her company and efforts.  Do pay more than I need to, on my own initiative, over a number of years.  Rewards are great massage, no rush, good company and sincere relationship.  Sometimes in Pattya, while having ordinary massage, I wonder what the bloody hell I am doing there!!!  All that said, I do still want to return, probably more now for the holiday aspect (and hot weather in my winter) than the TG availability. 

Cheers

From my neck of the woods we've got Turkey Cyprus Southern Spain Canaries as winter destinations and whilst not hot tempertures which I love in Thailand they're better than freezing my nuts off in the UK.  Benidorm it could well be. I went twice on fag and baccy runs lol around 1994 with some other mad sods it was a good laugh

13 hours ago, Rawhide2 said:

From my neck of the woods we've got Turkey Cyprus Southern Spain Canaries as winter destinations and whilst not hot tempertures which I love in Thailand they're better than freezing my nuts off in the UK.  Benidorm it could well be. I went twice on fag and baccy runs lol around 1994 with some other mad sods it was a good laugh

Benidorm sounds a goer.  Have fun.  Bali is where half of Oz seems to go and that is exactly the reason I have never gone and will never go there.  That's just me though.  Cheers

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, Rawhide2 said:

If you go to Cyprus please post some photos of your trip! I served there in 74/75 at a time when Nissi and Fig tree beaches were sand dunes with a winding dirt track leading to them ...... I've seen "promotional" photos and brochures. It seems to have changed a bit!!!!!

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, Barhop said:

Thanks for the response.

Cheers

3 years is a no-go for me.I'm 69 and Florida is a long trip w/3 flights in each direction. May have to find an alternative . Sadly,this was to be my last trip. But as they say, things happen for a reason-or not.

• Sad 1
10 hours ago, 4wheels said:

3 years is a no-go for me.I'm 69 and Florida is a long trip w/3 flights in each direction. May have to find an alternative . Sadly,this was to be my last trip. But as they say, things happen for a reason-or not.

Almost 70 and the same for me but only two flights to get there. I am hopeful for one more trip but I am a realist. It may not happen and I still see no alternative. At least I have had the experience multiple times.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
On 9/20/2020 at 7:47 AM, midlifecrisis said:

Almost 70 and the same for me but only two flights to get there. I am hopeful for one more trip but I am a realist. It may not happen and I still see no alternative. At least I have had the experience multiple times.

Our difference is ~5 hours flying. I'm turning from optimist for late April arrival to pessimist lately. I can delay the trip to later 2021 but after that,I'll stay in this hemisphere but like Porsche said decades ago, there is no substitute. I may give the DR a try in a few months as it's just opening and of course, Mexico has always been good to me as a visitor and ex-pat. So god that I'm considering moving back the my lease is up here.

And like you,I have appreciated the experiences there that can't be replaced, as are as we try.

6 hours ago, 4wheels said:

Our difference is ~5 hours flying. I'm turning from optimist for late April arrival to pessimist lately. I can delay the trip to later 2021 but after that,I'll stay in this hemisphere but like Porsche said decades ago, there is no substitute. I may give the DR a try in a few months as it's just opening and of course, Mexico has always been good to me as a visitor and ex-pat. So god that I'm considering moving back the my lease is up here.

And like you,I have appreciated the experiences there that can't be replaced, as are as we try.

Not sure what you are saying but, you do realise, that Thailand is also in the northern hemisphere, don't you?

2 hours ago, yorta2 said:

Not sure what you are saying but, you do realise, that Thailand is also in the northern hemisphere, don't you?

Yes,Mr. Geography,I realize that. Perhaps I need to be more specific to satisfy you.

3 hours ago, 4wheels said:

Yes,Mr. Geography,I realize that. Perhaps I need to be more specific to satisfy you.

I suppose the existence of  Eastern and Western Hemispheres has been overlooked. ?

Edited by jacko
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
On 9/19/2020 at 9:24 PM, 4wheels said:

I, because of a chronic problem from an injury, had(have) a painful time with long flights. I would book from my local New England airport to LAX. Stay overnight in the LAX area and catch a flight, via Taipei, to BKK the next day/night. I'd do the same LAX overnight(s) for the return home. Granted, the total, overall, flight hours were more than a direct JFK-TPE-BKK but the LAX-TPE-BKK saved a few hours on the U.S.-Asia leg. It made a difference. And, the night's rest at LAX made the U.S.-Asia leg, somewhat, bearable. Try Hotwire for deals on hotels. Sometimes good, sometimes not so.

Because my airline would leave LAX late at night I'd end up booking two nights, at LAX, in each direction so I didn't have to be bothered with checking out of my hotel at noon and have to hang around the airport until midnight for my flight. It, also, alleviated the concern of a flight delay, or cancellation, if I tried to fly into LAX on the same day my LAX-Asia flight was scheduled(same on return). This way, I had a whole day and a half to get to LAX if my first leg(VERY early A.M.) was cancelled.  If I got into LAX on time(noon-ish) I'd end up out at Santa Monica, or a beach somewhere, and still have all afternoon, night, and next day to relax/putz around.

My situation has improved a bit so, now, I just dope up a little(prescription) and fly JFK-TPE-BKK. I do miss going through L.A. but I don't miss the extra hours total or having to spend the extra money.

Yes, is was a bit more expensive to do it that way but my choice was either pay up or don't go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

In July, I cancelled my planned Oct 2020 trip, and I started replanning for 2021, but now I am rethinking that decision.  I am 69, diabetic, and cautious and I will not travel internationally until there is a vaccine.  The following 10/7/2020 Fodor’s Travel article is making me rethink my future travel plans based upon the various opinions until 2022 and beyond. 

https://www.fodors.com/news/coronavirus/what-international-travel-may-not-resume-until-when?utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=

Fodor’sTravel | Blake Snow | October 7, 2020

What?! International Travel May Not Resume Until WHEN?!

International Trips by 2024?!

I reached retirement and financial independence goals this year and wouldn't you know it the world shuts down.

I'm probably going back to work in 2021 and waiting until 2022 to think about air travel.

Sad sad sad as I thought in 2021 I would be full time party guy in Pattaya.

I am finding lots of P4P action in DFW and Houston area with lots of cute 20 something white girls but it's 250-300 an hour but with a better menu than some sexy Pattaya girls were offering last year.

I gotta think those sexy young and old bar girls wont be kicking too many of us sex tourist to the curb when things open back up but who knows how the menu's will change as on my last trip I had a massage girl use a condom for a BJ which was a first.

I reached retirement and financial independence goals this year and wouldn't you know it the world shuts down.
I'm probably going back to work in 2021 and waiting until 2022 to think about air travel.
Sad sad sad as I thought in 2021 I would be full time party guy in Pattaya.
I am finding lots of P4P action in DFW and Houston area with lots of cute 20 something white girls but it's 250-300 an hour but with a better menu than some sexy Pattaya girls were offering last year.
I gotta think those sexy young and old bar girls wont be kicking too many of us sex tourist to the curb when things open back up but who knows how the menu's will change as on my last trip I had a massage girl use a condom for a BJ which was a first.

Cute, white and up to 10,000 baht for an hour of their time! Your welcome to my share of that.

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

We had to cancel our Oct 2020 trip, at 75 its impossibly expensive to get CV cover. We permanently rent in Pattaya, 11 years now, and usually spend 5 months a year there but wont make it back till next year. If they dont drop the compulsory CV insurance it will be somewhere else for a month or so. 

Edited by biggles
Typo
  • Sad 1

Speculation, but I'm thinking the next major milestone is March or whatever you consider as the end of high season.  FWIW I'm not optimistic.  I am in Thailand by choice but would like to be able to make a trip back to the US.

• 1 month later...
On 6/23/2020 at 1:56 AM, yselmike said:

I shall be 70 next June so I am sort of thinking about doing something then, but if things are back to normal come January I might not be able too resist a February break from the winter.The exchange rate will be a big factor in the decision about length of stay or if I travel at all and any health issues that may pop up out on the bicycle most days up to 50km a trip now.

It's not going to happen untill January/February 2022.I now only want to be in Thailand during that time I am just a snow bird nowadays.The price of beer and ST-LT is of little concern.I will have a year to save up.though as I approach 70 you never know,one last fling and all that.

6 hours ago, yselmike said:

It's not going to happen untill January/February 2022.I now only want to be in Thailand during that time I am just a snow bird nowadays.The price of beer and ST-LT is of little concern.I will have a year to save up.though as I approach 70 you never know,one last fling and all that.

Yes, I had come to much the same conclusion myself even before Covid - shorter trips with less concern about keeping to budgets; now tentatively looking at December 2021/January 2022 if conditions are conducive by then. 

• Like 1

I need to take my holiday entitlement before April..... so I’m looking around the world to see where is easiest.... if I end up escaping that’s my Thailand money gone, since most other places seem to be much more expensive..... 

1 hour ago, pinoydave said:

I need to take my holiday entitlement before April..... so I’m looking around the world to see where is easiest.... if I end up escaping that’s my Thailand money gone, since most other places seem to be much more expensive..... 

I'm luckier than most as I'm being allowed to carry my leave entitlement over, unfortunately Mrs Fiend isn't....

After getting home in March I was thinking June, in June I thought August, then revised that to October.
Now i'm thinking bubbles maybe by March, stage 1 roll outs by June/July, then everyone else by October.
Anything sooner would be a bonus  

• 3 weeks later...

...normally I don’t come during the hotter months, but it seems that by the time vaccine makes it’s rounds and thai govt eases the quarantine/# of days, it may be summer.  Plans are to come back to LOS as soon that happens, so assuming/hopefully sometime during summer