Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I mentioned Poompui and I think some of you were interested too.  I don't why they named her, usually girls named Lek it makes sense, but that's her real name. Every time I come, the Rembrandt Su

The Black Pagoda group of bars at Patpong 2 ran a all-u-can-drink promotion over Songkran.  For 900 baht, you were provided as many bottles of Singha-Tiger-Chang-Leo you wanted in any of their four ba

After 12 weeks I returned for my second AstraZeneca jab.  The vibe was much different this time, much more upbeat, and more people in the hotels.  I booked the Sofitel and they gave me a corner room o

Posted Images

1 hour ago, RhinoTusk said:

Back on topic

I needed a new laptop, so headed to the Apple store at massive IconSiam mall, the first Apple store in Thailand. There's a free shuttle boat at Sathorn Pier, BTS Saphan Taksin.

IMG_20200926_130956.jpg

The journey takes 5 minutes, boats run every 20 minutes or so. 

IMG_20200926_131240.jpg

Across the river from the mall is the Mandarin Oriental Hotel, rates start over 15,000/night. They have suites named after some of the famous writers that have been guests. They have the Gore Vidal suite, the Tennessee Williams suite, the Somerset Maughan suite, and best in the house is the Mark Twain suite. Others are named after Joseph Conrad, James Michener, and Norman Mailer. Hang out in the Bamboo Bar when the Rolling Stones are playing in town and you'll see Mick Jagger, because this is where they stay. 

IMG_20200926_162329.jpg

You can see the Lebua at State Tower to the right, with the dome. They serve a special hangover 2 cocktail on the rooftop bar, inspired by the movie, since the hotel was a shooting location. 

IMG_20200926_163756.jpg

IconSiam mall is over half million Square meters of retail space, it opened less than 2 years ago. IMG_20200926_131738.jpg

Some impressive art work inside. 

IMG_20200926_161746.jpgIMG_20200926_155805.jpg

Here's a statue made of hoses. 

IMG_20200926_155743.jpgIMG_20200926_143337.jpgIMG_20200926_142453.jpg

Took a while to locate the Apple store. 

IMG_20200926_132651.jpg

Also bought some vintage Levi's bluejeans in the Levi's store, as long as I was there. 

IMG_20200926_134031.jpg

Finished the day with a seafood dinner with river prawns.

IMG_20200926_150845.jpg

With your narrative and clarity of the fantastic, crisp photos I would happily vote for this if there was a "Post of the year award"

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I notice more homeless people sleeping under the BTS stairwells, walking around lower sukhumvit, and fewer street vendors, but was able to find one to buy sunglasses. Soi 11 was very quiet. Had a burger for lunch at Daniel Thaigers, with a couple bottles of Rochefort 10%, and left my mask there. Didn't realize until they wouldn't allow me into Terminal 21.  From now on, I'll carry a spare. 

IMG_20200927_121849.jpgIMG_20200927_123119.jpg

Edited by RhinoTusk
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, RhinoTusk said:

Had a burger for lunch at Daniel Thaigers, with a couple bottles of Rochefort 20%

To me it was the death of Wetherspoons on Buakhao when they got rid of the manager that brought in Kastel beers amongst others...Jeez I remember the place being regularly packed out especially at Christmas ....At least I still have my Donker glass that the staff gave me for free ...I wish I was 20 years younger and I would have snaffled away Ann many years ago ... but she is still there ...

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, RhinoTusk said:

I mentioned Poompui 

Nice, as usual. Thanks for the effort. I know that takes a lot of time.

If the B girl is a match for Pompui, then she must be a looker.

Did you happen to notice while you were at Slanted Taco whether "Birds' the french rotisserie chicken place is still in that cluster of shops?

• Thanks 1

Wait,let me get this straight. You passed both a Taco Bell AND adjacent BK for those tacos and burger? Where is your head,man?????  Kidding!!! Looks like you made the right choice as usual. Great TR and thanks for sharing.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, VPI78 said:

Nice, as usual. Thanks for the effort. I know that takes a lot of time.

If the B girl is a match for Pompui, then she must be a looker.

Did you happen to notice while you were at Slanted Taco whether "Birds' the french rotisserie chicken place is still in that cluster of shops?

Sorry, never noticed it before.  Any good?  This photo from July

IMG_20200707_184528.jpg

2 hours ago, RhinoTusk said:

Sorry, never noticed it before.  Any good?  This photo from July

IMG_20200707_184528.jpg

Gracias ... my opinion is Birds does really good rotisserie chicken for a reasonable price ... and you can often find them on Eatigo; so if you time it well, 50% off list prices. As you know being in the Craft Brew patio there is plenty of good beer with which to pair your bird.

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, RhinoTusk said:

Hope you enjoyed my report.

Very much so, thank you.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, BigusDicus said:

Not sure how she would say it in Thai....but clearly in the first pic, she is thinking "Daddy, I've been bad..."

Yeah, I'm thinking I'd like to give that big, juicy butt a good spanking

DSC_3220.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, BigusDicus said:

Am curious, what is "transport 4,000 baht"?  

BD, good to point that out as to not mislead the new fellows coming thinking that is normal pricing. It is not. I have used the same driver from Nams for more than a year. The SUV price to Bangkok City is 1700thb. , i just hand her 2k. .She knows me and my destinations well . Knows im going to be a bit rough on the ride home and puts a pillow for me to sleep.   I used Bells bus for years. Little money but with the wait and transfer times it was close to 4 hours. Miss Taen gets me to The American Tavern in 2 hours and return is less than 2 hours. Since my trips are more frequent but shorter. ,I want to arrive tanned, rested and ready.

• Thanks 1

A heads-up that El Goucho Argentinian Steakhouse on Soi 19 next to Terminal 21 has a weekday afternoon special 600 baht off on their fine steaks 1 pm until 5 pm. Here the 400g Striploin, add a baked potato with sour cream and bacon and a glass of Chilean red and the meal still comes to 2000 even with the discount. 

The building has a special place in my heart as I sagged a lot of girls there when it was City Lodge, there was an Italian restaurant on the ground floor back then, before Terminal 21 was constructed. 

https://th.elgaucho.asia/menus/

IMG_20201022_161414-01.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Kev said:

Feck $100 AUD for an excellent steak, sounds kinda rich or have I got my maths wrong

It's not as expensive as the steakhouse in the JW Marriott. 

12 hours ago, RhinoTusk said:

The building has a special place in my heart as I sagged a lot of girls there when it was City Lodge, there was an Italian restaurant on the ground floor back then, before Terminal 21 was constructed. 

Loved the old Country Roads bar in that area back in the day. There's one on Soi 4 now but it just doesn't have the same j'en sais quoi pas.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Robertj said:

I just joined the forum, I am a member of other forums, your trip report is one of the best I have read with great photos and food reviews.

WTTB Robertj.