Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Seriously expensive cars

Do my sweating at  Jetts Fitness in the Little Walk complex on Sukhumvit.  While performing penance on the treadmill, looked at the cars parked in front.  In ten parking spaces there were three Mercedes and a Porsche.  One of the Mercedes left and another pulled in.  Not unusual to see more than one high end car there such as these and BMWs.

9 hours ago, nkped said:

Do my sweating at  Jetts Fitness in the Little Walk complex on Sukhumvit.  While performing penance on the treadmill, looked at the cars parked in front.  In ten parking spaces there were three Mercedes and a Porsche.  One of the Mercedes left and another pulled in.  Not unusual to see more than one high end car there such as these and BMWs.

Not car related, but can you tell me how much Jetts Fitness charges?

7 hours ago, nkped said:

Southern California is considered by some as the automobile capital of the world.  There are 'monied' enclaves throughout the region that have many very expensive cars.  Show up at a nice restaurant some evenings and you will see only six figure cars in the valet parking lot.

A couple weeks back I was at my usual car wash.  Noticed the black and white Bentleys in the picture below.  The manager told me his guys had just picked them up from a home to have them detailed.  "He has black and white Aston Martons too" he told me.

Bentley BW 1.jpg

9 hours ago, BeerBelly said:

Not car related, but can you tell me how much Jetts Fitness charges?

I think around 1,600 baht a month.

• Upvote 1

Today, the Porsche, small SUV(!?!) was back along with BMWs parked next to each other.

Some years back, I was in Orange County, California on a business trip and was driving a rental Ford Focus.  I thought I was going to be ticketed because my car was too cheap.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

You should see the cars gping down to The Sky Gallery and Chocolate Factory on Cosy Beach at the weekends. Not unusual to see convoys of 5 0r 6 Ferraris and Lambos driving down there. Porsches and Mercs are lo-so by comparison.?

(Before they re-surfaced the road we always wondered why anyone would drive a supercar down there. So many potholes that could have caused a lot of damage to cars like that.)

So, you're saying that my 4X4 pickup truck would look out of place?

• Haha 1

I have never seen as many Lexus 4Wd as in Phnom Penh. Every NGO there must buy them for their staff. 

On 9/16/2020 at 8:20 AM, Gary said:

So, you're saying that my 4X4 pickup truck would look out of place?

A good many Hilux, Fortunner and equivalent.  A Tiger might stand out.

For what many of those cars cost, I could buy many new pickup trucks not to mention many domestically built cars. It's an attempt to show that you have big money, thus a big face.

38 minutes ago, Gary said:

For what many of those cars cost, I could buy many new pickup trucks not to mention many domestically built cars. It's an attempt to show that you have big money, thus a big face.

Had I that kind of disposable money, I would do a classic car collection. I always wanted a Woody.

My wife has a fully loaded automatic transmission with all the bells and whistles Ford Ecosport. It drives nicer and rides smoother than my Isuzu 4X4. I would rather drive my manual transmission pickup. Why? I have no idea, I simply love my truck and the comfortable way it feels.

A friend of mine drives a Mitsubishi Pajero. He seriously wrecked his Pajero. He also has a 4X4 Toyota pickup. The Pajero was in the body shop for four months being repaired (In most countries, it would have been a totaled wreck). He bitched about the rough riding Toyota truck every time I saw him. Different strokes for different folks.

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, Gary said:

My wife has a fully loaded automatic transmission with all the bells and whistles Ford Ecosport. It drives nicer and rides smoother than my Isuzu 4X4. I would rather drive my manual transmission pickup. Why? I have no idea, I simply love my truck and the comfortable way it feels.

A friend of mine drives a Mitsubishi Pajero. He seriously wrecked his Pajero. He also has a 4X4 Toyota pickup. The Pajero was in the body shop for four months being repaired (In most countries, it would have been a totaled wreck). He bitched about the rough riding Toyota truck every time I saw him. Different strokes for different folks.

Modern pickups have come a long way since the crude vehicles I started out with in the mid-'70s - they are immensely popular here in northern Canada and as a homeowner, I wouldn't be without one - I have an old Ford Ranger  4x4 for everyday use and an F350 flat deck for heavier jobs and trailer pulling. However, I would still rather drive a car for most daily errands as I find pickups to be boring to drive - much more fun in the BMW....

1 hour ago, BigusDicus said:

Not even in the morning?  ?

At my age? It's more like balsa than oak. Looking for the right description. Malleable is correct.

You have to beat it into the proper shape.

:bigsmile:

But then it's golden!

Edited by midlifecrisis

I watch a lot of re-runs of the old car enthusiast program 'Top Gear' and of course most of what they drive and love is completely impractical as a run about vehicle. But they are often things of beauty and I am impressed by hearing what the rich and famous buy. Even recently it was a member of 'The Rolling Stones' (Wood) talking of another who had a collection... he doesn't even have a driving licence but likes to sit in his vehicles with the engine running, never revving the engine. If I was phenominally rich, there would be an Aston in my drive before a soppy dog. But like Gary there, my present circmstances force a Ford Ranger, which is very practical around Thailand.

42 minutes ago, jacko said:

I watch a lot of re-runs of the old car enthusiast program 'Top Gear' and of course most of what they drive and love is completely impractical as a run about vehicle. But they are often things of beauty and I am impressed by hearing what the rich and famous buy. Even recently it was a member of 'The Rolling Stones' (Wood) talking of another who had a collection... he doesn't even have a driving licence but likes to sit in his vehicles with the engine running, never revving the engine. If I was phenominally rich, there would be an Aston in my drive before a soppy dog. But like Gary there, my present circmstances force a Ford Ranger, which is very practical around Thailand.

I saw a biopic about Jeff Beck and he is into hot rods. He saw some American B movie as a kid and has had a lifelong love affair with them. He not only collects them but works on them.

A bigtime collector in America is Jay Leno. I read somewhere that he uses very expensive 3D printing to make some parts. Similar -

"...will leverage 3D printing to build a digital inventory that helps road test, refurbish and retrofit classic vehicles and supercars in Leno’s collection."

https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/jay-leno-partners-with-stratasys-to-3d-print-custom-parts-for-classic-vehicle-and-supercar-collection-164385/#:~:text=As an extension of Stratasys,169 cars and 117 motorcycles.

17 hours ago, jacko said:

Check out "Harry's Garage" and the related "Tyrrell's Classic Workshop" on YouTube - some wonderful cars and very enthusiastic and knowledgeable presenters...

21 hours ago, midlifecrisis said:

A bigtime collector in America is Jay Leno. 

He featured in a documentary about alternatives to fossil fuel cars. He owns one powered by a turbine. There's a clip on youtube "Jay leno's 1963 turbine car"...it idles at 22,000 rpm. Also owns a number of steam cars.

Edited by awesum4
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, awesum4 said:

He featured in a documentary about alternatives to fossil fuel cars. He owns one powered by a turbine. There's a clip on youtube "Jay leno's 1963 turbine car"...it idles at 22,000 rpm. Also owns a number of steam cars.

I was unaware and will look for it.

On 9/18/2020 at 9:22 AM, Gary said:

My wife drives my pickup once in a while. The only complaint she has about her Ford is that the Isuzu has a lot more power than the car. I find it amazing at how much power they are able to get from a 3.0 liter turbo diesel. The Isuzu also goes further on a liter of diesel than the gasoline powered car. The car can use E85 but the fuel economy suffers. She now uses E20 for better fuel economy even though it does cost more.

Edited by Gary