Jump to content
Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
Sign in to follow this  
4wheels

Thailand Is Introducing Special Tourist Visas For Up To 270 Days (90 Days, 2x Extendable), Possibly As Early As October 2020

Recommended Posts

I am pretty sure this is specific, it obviously is aimed at those who can tolerate a 2 week quarantine as I do not see that going away just yet. An accommodation for snowbirds, winter with us away from the misery of cold and Covid. I think there will be some takers.... although I have a parallel thought.... what is to stop a person like myself, changing status from a retirement extension, to such a Visa (other than quarantine and a trip somewhere)? Gone is the need to have 800.000 baht sitting in the bank, or monthly 65,000 being deposited.

We shall have to see what else is required, remember the multiple entry TV? Not as popular as perhaps hoped, but then they did not want that used by people in reality living in Thaland.... now  they are less discerning. 

In the past new Visa types that were thought to be useful came with onerous requirements, the O-X for example and it's tying up of a lot of your money, then the insurance requirements for O-A. This one will likely also have insurance needs, and older guys will struggle to get cover.

Edited by jacko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, jacko said:

I am pretty sure this is specific, it obviously is aimed at those who can tolerate a 2 week quarantine as I do not see that going away just yet. An accommodation for snowbirds, winter with us away from the misery of cold and Covid. I think there will be some takers.... although I have a parallel thought.... what is to stop a person like myself, changing status from a retirement extension, to such a Visa (other than quarantine and a trip somewhere)? Gone is the need to have 800.000 baht sitting in the bank, or monthly 65,000 being deposited.

We shall have to see what else is required, remember the multiple entry TV? Not as popular as perhaps hoped, but then they did not want that used by people in reality living in Thaland.... now  they are less discerning. 

In the past new Visa types that were thought to be useful came with onerous requirements, the O-X for example and it's tying up of a lot of your money, then the insurance requirements for O-A. This one will likely also have insurance needs, and older guys will struggle to get cover.

Yes, our American insurances won't cover us and most of us are beyond the age limit to get overseas insurances. Is that 62?64? 65? I looked into it before I retired early and have forgotten because I know I no longer could even if I wanted to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Travel insurance gets more expensive with age and most companies cut you out at 75. But its pretty expensive at that age. I am 75 in October so unless LOS changes their Covid policy I may not be able to return after 20 years of visits

Edited by biggles
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, biggles said:

Travel insurance gets more expensive with age and most companies cut you out at 75. But its pretty expensive at that age. I am 75 in October so unless LOS changes their Covid policy I may not be able to return after 20 years of visits

When I was working still, my company had private big name insurance. I went on vacation to Thailand, got so ill I had to be hospitalized toward the end of my trip in Bangkok. Insurance wouldn't pay directly so I had to front the hospital bill. They sought authorization from my CC company and I was in two nights. Otherwise I would have been at an ATM...

Anyway, when I got home I was reimbursed for all but the $100 hospital co-pay. 

Now I have medicare and a private supplemental plan. Medicare would not give a reimbursement certainly but I wonder what Blue Cross and others cover?

Also, perhaps someone can offer an opinion on short term  internationally accepted medical insurance for tourists? There must be some. They can't be exorbitant for such a short period of time...I hope.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, midlifecrisis said:

When I was working still, my company had private big name insurance. I went on vacation to Thailand, got so ill I had to be hospitalized toward the end of my trip in Bangkok. Insurance wouldn't pay directly so I had to front the hospital bill. They sought authorization from my CC company and I was in two nights. Otherwise I would have been at an ATM...

Anyway, when I got home I was reimbursed for all but the $100 hospital co-pay. 

Now I have medicare and a private supplemental plan. Medicare would not give a reimbursement certainly but I wonder what Blue Cross and others cover?

Also, perhaps someone can offer an opinion on short term  internationally accepted medical insurance for tourists? There must be some. They can't be exorbitant for such a short period of time...I hope.

 

When I was about to finish my reservation on United,there was an offer for medical coverage for the duration of my itinerary. It was under $100 IIRC and from a well known insurer. I'm not sure I can still take it after the fact but it's worth looking into. I'm on the phone with my Blue Cross agent tomorrow and I'll ask her about coverage abroad but I'm pretty sure I know the answer. 

Along the lines of what you mentioned about payment w/o coverage, there was a US black couple in Mexico a few months ago who were held captive,so to speak, and not permitted to leave to country. Eventually their plight went viral and a famous black entertainer heard of their plight and paid their bill so they could return home. That was nearly my plight almost 4 years ago (3 days before the election) when I was in Mexico City for a 4 day visit and had a stroke while asleep. I was aware when I went to the bathroom at 7am on the morning I was departing. My right side was nearly useless and the entire right side of my head was numb but my vision was unaffected. I tried to go downstairs for breakfast but that didn't work well. I managed to shower, shave and dress my self in about double the normal time. I wasn't aware at the time that there is a drug or shot that can be taken w/i 4 hours of the stroke that can stop further damage and  reverse any damage it had caused. But it only applies to a certain type of stroke (not mine though). Had I been aware,I would have gone to the hospital there and sought treatment but I did not. Of course I would have been in your situation w/o coverage. It took almost 14 hours to get home and I spent 3 or4 nights in the hospital before a full recovery. I was fortunate. My Father had the same type of stroke at the same age and his recovery was a full 6 months. I realize BOTH of us were very fortunate. 

As an aside, when I lived in Mexico,ex-pats could basically buy into their Medicare system for a reasonable amount that was ~$500. But you have to be on a certain type of visa to qualify. Many I know there think it's a good deal.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys, if you want to discuss health insurance and it's consequences/benefits, can you take it to a separate thread please?

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the new long term visa  (90 day) with extensions easy to obtain or just another impossible venture for general tourists?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, midlifecrisis said:

When I was working still, my company had private big name insurance. I went on vacation to Thailand, got so ill I had to be hospitalized toward the end of my trip in Bangkok. Insurance wouldn't pay directly so I had to front the hospital bill. They sought authorization from my CC company and I was in two nights. Otherwise I would have been at an ATM...

Anyway, when I got home I was reimbursed for all but the $100 hospital co-pay. 

Now I have medicare and a private supplemental plan. Medicare would not give a reimbursement certainly but I wonder what Blue Cross and others cover?

Also, perhaps someone can offer an opinion on short term  internationally accepted medical insurance for tourists? There must be some. They can't be exorbitant for such a short period of time...I hope.

 

My specific flavor of Blue Cross Blue Shield covers me in Thailand.  They will pay directly at Bangkok Hospital and  some other hospitals.  That had been inpatient only but now includes outpatient.  Still believe a high limit credit card is essential out the door kit.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, keyman said:

Guys, if you want to discuss health insurance and it's consequences/benefits, can you take it to a separate thread please?

 

Thanks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maldives, Dominican Republic and many others don’t have quarantines, insurances, Covid tests and ridiculous conditions,  why not Thailand?

For me I will not go until all silly restrictions are gone.  They is life after Thailand

It is obvious they don’t want tourists anymore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, syed said:

 

It is obvious they don’t want tourists anymore

Maybe they dont want their people to die in droves like they are still in many countries.  But I guess that makes them stupid to be choosing their own peoples lives over tourists having a good time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, awesum4 said:

Maybe they dont want their people to die in droves like they are still in many countries.  But I guess that makes them stupid to be choosing their own peoples lives over tourists having a good time.

It is of course the right of all nations to decide how to handle this. We didn't know this virus even existed nine months ago and there seem to be some that think it is completely resolved.

I have been hoping for a return next fall. It would be nice if it is sooner but even next fall is not a guarantee.

First one or more of the vaccines need to be in mass use and effective. Then countries need to re-evaluate entry of tourists. I expect that some countries might expect proof of vaccination. That could be a bureaucratic nightmare.

I don't at all think that Thailand doesn't want tourism or doesn't hope it returns to normal. They seem to have what some members do not have - patience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Maldives, Dominican Republic and many others don’t have quarantines, insurances, Covid tests and ridiculous conditions,  why not Thailand?

For me I will not go until all silly restrictions are gone.  They is life after Thailand

It is obvious they don’t want tourists anymore

Well said.

 

We all should be aware that Covid is a hoax and one day it will simply disappear. Add to this the well known known fact that eating hot and spicy Thai food will kill any virus known to man. This is why few tourists use condoms.

 

I am happy that with world infection rates on the rise the Thai government let in a few million tourists. In this way they will create herd immunity thereby saving the rest of us from worrying.

 

Perhaps they can bottle Thai blood and export it to the rest of us?

 

It's great to see places like the Maldives leading the world in virus management!

 

 

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking that personally (and somewhat selfishly) this might be a positive...

For the past few years I've escaped the UK winters, spending 5 months I thailand. A snowbird, I think we're called.

I've just about got my mind around spending the winter in the UK, stuck indoors out of the rain with the heating on, but this might be doable. Yes, there are hoops to jump through, and it will cost a bit more than normal, but.... 

But no, it wont be any good for the 2 week tourists.

I think the only issue will be getting the embassy to agree to your application.  If they're only expecting/allowing 1200 per month, worldwide, I'm guessing there wont be many flights/seats available from the UK...

But let's wait and see (a) if it is passed by the govt, and (b) what the actual conditions are ...

Edited by helloitsme

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, awesum4 said:

Maybe they dont want their people to die in droves like they are still in many countries.  But I guess that makes them stupid to be choosing their own peoples lives over tourists having a good time.

That means all other countries that are letting in tourists, must be trying to kill all their population.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, syed said:

That means all other countries that are letting in tourists, must be trying to kill all their population.

C'mon. The virus doesn't kill all but it does kill some. It isn't your country. Let them do as they think is best for themselves and focus on what is best for your country. 

Edited by midlifecrisis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, syed said:

Maldives, Dominican Republic and many others don’t have quarantines, insurances, Covid tests and ridiculous conditions,  why not Thailand?

For me I will not go until all silly restrictions are gone.  They is life after Thailand

It is obvious they don’t want tourists anymore

Well it is obvious they don't want Covid moreso. And the fact that they are considering this new Tourist Visa type actually tells me they do want tourists.... but are being very specific about what type. What the Maldives and DR do is up to them and I think Thailand has a right to make its own choices too... there aren't many good examples out there to suggest what Thailand should do beyond current measures.

Have to see what the full requirements are for this new TV, I know I was disappointed when I saw the O-X terms.

Edited by jacko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, midlifecrisis said:

C'mon. The virus doesn't kill all but it does kill some. It isn't your country. Let them do as they think is best for themselves and focus on what is best for your country. 

Countries can do whatever they want to do  for safety of their people

It is just my opinion that some actions range from ridiculous to sublime

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, helloitsme said:

This might explain the type of high roller tourist they are after....

https://www.pattayamail.com/featured/new-thai-tourist-visa-restricted-to-charter-flights-and-private-jets-315309

 

Well, I guess that counts me out, lol...figured there'd be more conditions to this scheme when it was first announced...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
A bit more about this new Visa. Don't take it as verbatim as it is early days yet.
http://www.thailongstay.co.th/stv_visa.html
 
Thanks Jacko. I'll give this a miss. Its more messing around than I am interested in and it will be at least 100,000 baht before I get a beer.

There is also the issue that many of us don't live in cities and just sorting out the administration could be a bit of a minefield. While I am keen to get back to Thailand it would not be until the borders are open and things are back to near normal. I have accepted that this might be 2022 but what's on offer here (provisionally) has limited value for the average punter.

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...