Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
jomtienguy

The Airport Taxi Adventures & Nightmares

I've arrived at the airport or Pattaya in just over an hour, miraculously alive, a few times. The trip was a blur, for some reason...

Did anyone ever have a girl (Devil's Den?) meet them at the airport and/or service them in the car? Was that a pothole or are you just happy to see me?

My worst experience was going to Pattaya at night. Just after leaving the airport, the taxi pulled off the road onto a dark property and into an old barn full of Thai men. I really thought this is the end of me but it was in fact, just to get a delivery of food to his buddies. Phew!

121231675_3442467992499419_1131090922545114709_o.jpg

588896_dc22538b26a24ff3ada97ce332e13d04_mv2.jpg

download.jpg

My only experience arriving in Pattaya has been at night and nearly every return to the airport has also been at night, save for 2 trips to Phnom Penh. Late arrivals and early departures. And if my late April trip happens, both trends continue. Only once has a driver stopped en route. Count my blessings.

I have always pre-booked a taxi, usually Mr T, both ways. I never had any bad experiences catching the cabs at the airport but the long queues and higher price put me off. 

I once used a taxi driver MM recommended whom he affectionately referred to as Speedy Gonzalez. Never again. I've never been in a car going that speed before. He was all over the road and shoulders.

I've never really felt unsafe in cars going "only " 140 kph, but this guy was going much faster and all the weaving made it more, err, exciting.

My worst trip was  probably 12 years ago, pattaya to airport. Unfortunately,  my cab was booked for 5am on January 1st, and yes, i guess the driver had been partying. Fortunately the roads were clear, but the driver appeared to keep nodding off, his eyes getting heavy until they closed and his head dropped..... this latter movement waking him  up. I had deliberately sat in the front of the vehicle, and formulated a plan if he had fallen asleep.... gear lever (on dash) into neutral, grab the wheel to steer, and pray ....

As it was the driver stopped at the service centre, and when he returned he found me in the drivers seat. He didnt argue, and I drove to the airport....fortunately I'd got a few trips under my belt and roughly knew the way.

When we arrived I stopped, got out, retrieved my luggage,  and left, leaving the driver snoring gently on the passengers seat. Being a kind sole, I did leave the agreed fee on the dash, but surprisingly, no tip! 

I remember one time years ago I booked a taxi from the Nana area to Pattaya - I think maybe  through one of the roadside stands but I am not sure. The driver, a heavily-built, tattoo'd and somewhat thuggy looking guy, showed up on time and away we went. I was buggering around with my phone and not paying much attention to where we were going, but when I finally looked up I saw to my horror that we were approaching Don Muang airport! "Where are you going??" I cried - he replies, "You go Pattaya, yes?" "Yeah, but I'm sure as hell not flying there!! Nobody flies to Pattaya from BKK!!" Well, he gets on his phone and a long and heated conversation ensues but he does get turned around and off to Pattaya we went - I was worried that he may get so pissed off that he'd throw me out in the middle of nowhere but thankfully we made it to my Pattaya hotel and I was sure glad to get out of that cab...

I once booked via one of those little kiosks that were dotted around advertising cheap taxis to the airport.

I think it was only 500 baht including tolls...some years ago.

When the guy arrived he was expecting 700 baht plus tolls.... he drove like a maniac cussing out Pattaya 'mafia' all the way and refused to pay any tolls so remained on the lower deck. Another time we got a minibus, and we were going to Don Muang, they combined 2 trips that should have been separate, and we found ourselves dropping off people at various Bangkok Hotels in the awful pre-Skytrain traffic of those days with those having a flight booked getting extremely nervous. I think I suffered 2 bait and switches from so called taxis from 'departures' at the airport before I stopped looking for cheap rides.  

Virtually no dramas at all bar the usual speeding issues but I simply tell them to slow down which works for about 500 metres......

Only one I can think of was literally this year at Don Maung returning from Manila where the guy wasn't there initially. Few phone calls and all good after 10 minutes but cant think of any others at all within Thailand

I can think of one lol at Ninoy Aquino International Airport with another board member here (again this year) !  Sorted within half hour though after traffic issues arriving at airport to pick us up......it was obvious that once they clear the Manila traffic his intention was to ensure the Minibus took an airtrip without wings.... I'm hunkered down behind the rear seats thinking they'll be scraping us off the Highway with parts spread far and wide

Edited by Rawhide2

devils den is worth 400.00 USD if u get in traffic jam. but arriving at midnight. the 1 hour time to patts makes it no longer

worth for me. that go's a long way even on soi 6.i no longer cheap charlie taxis for all reasons above

but wish i had that dilemma now even a bath bus would be worth it now

I've never had an issue with the lady drivers from Nam's Taxi. Here is their e-mail address. namnamthailand@gmail.com

5 hours ago, 4wheels said:

I've never had an issue with the lady drivers from Nam's Taxi. Here is their e-mail address. namnamthailand@gmail.com

I had an issue with one of the lady drivers, though not sure it was was from Nam. I was going from Don Mueang to Pattaya. From the pickup all the way to passing BKK she was on the phone at full volume. I was tired and wanted to rest, so I finally said, "How much longer are you going to be on the phone?" Then she yelled at me telling me it was her friend who's father just died. Sorry, not sorry, but I don't give a damn for the reason. It made for an unpleasant ride.

39 minutes ago, BeerBelly said:

Then she yelled at me telling me it was her friend who's father just died. Sorry, not sorry, but I don't give a damn for the reason. It made for an unpleasant ride.

Not a fan at being yelled at, but sometimes these drivers have got you by the short and curlies.

One taxi ride I took in Phuket from the airport to my hotel was interesting. The driver was snoring....SNORING while driving.

I watched him closely. He wasn't dozing off. He was fully awake...but snoring... while awake and aware. It was kind of funny. I've never seen a person snore while awake.

He did take an odd route to the hotel using back roads all the way, which kind of made sense according to Google Maps traffic data as the main roads  were jammed. It really didn't take much longer to get to our hotel via the back route. So, other than the snoring, he was an okay driver.

Perhaps an airway issue? I had nasal polyps and had an ENT friend deal with it  He said fuck it took me longer i had planned. . Your driver sounds to be an excellent driver.  Was on a Bells Bus to Bangkok , the lady announced we would be leaving the motorway because of traffic ahead. They communicate with each other.  Well done. I have the usual stories  about taxis but a vote for Nams.  

Did have a ride booked and not turned up ,

phoned them to be told they got the date wrong sorry,

so went to the taxi rank at the same time a young lost looking British lad was heading towards the long queue as well 

I asked if was going to Pattaya and we decided to share a cab ,

His new Thai wife was supposed to meet him with a a ride but had slept in 

While waiting we approached a Thai guy who pointed at a Merc  who said the price to Pattaya would be 1300 bath all in 

we got in and driver then took us to a deserted carpark outside the airport and stopped 

we where met by group a guys in taxis who told politely we would need to swop cars 2

got to Pattaya without event and split the fare ,

When I got to my hotel to be met by the booked driver who had got the dates wrong 

she gave me 1000 baht the agreed cost of the trip and a apology 

did bump into the young Brit again had breakfast together he told me he had found his new wife who had booked them into Dusit Thani

he asked if I could recommend a cheaper hotel ,  then out the blue a bike stops on it two young Thai girls  

one of them barks ( his wife ) at him who you talk too , looks a me with contempt and asked you man from airport 

then rode off