Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
jomtienguy

misteregg YouTube Video Updates

3 hours ago, Shooter said:

I've always had trouble spelling Buachaowa  whatever.  😄

Split it into its component words for white lotus, Bua and Khao....

1 hour ago, jacko said:

Split it into its component words for white lotus, Bua and Khao....

I have always thought of it as boring hill ......

As for Naklua I think salt plains ...

40 minutes ago, Bullfrog said:

I have always thought of it as boring hill ......

As for Naklua I think salt plains ...

Very good alternative but pronunciation errors!

On 10/27/2020 at 3:18 PM, chico said:

This lovely lady met in Electric Blue about July 2004 one of the best ever. In my top 10. 

DSC01700.jpg

Looks familiar 

12 hours ago, Bullfrog said:

All we need now is Mr Egg to come on here and tell us how a Yam Yam pronounces Thai place names ..........

Funny 

Here is the latest video.

I revisit the locations of five legendary bars of a bygone era and see what they look like now.

FLB and Pattaya Talk get a mention.

Im no FLB historian as I didn’t go that often, but wanted to include it as a famous, groundbreaking venue.

On 10/29/2020 at 3:45 AM, teelack said:

I think that you need to be careful when you criticise anyones rendition of Thai words into English. Just last night I was watching Youtube and its was about the desolation that has become central Pattaya. Within five minutes of the start of the video the commentator from Thaiger had pronounced Pattaya four different ways. 

As I have pointed out in the past, here is an interesting test. Start at one end of Soi Buakhao and walk to the far end photographing all the variations of spelling and word spacing of Buakhao. You will be well into double figures before you get to the far end. 

I think you are missing something here. The spelling is not different, the *transliteration* is different. It's spelled บัวขาว. Transliterated by Google as Buakaw, (note that Google doesn't really do transliteration, they just do letter substitutions), and transliterated on the sign as Buakhaow. It's translated as "white lotus", so sometimes you might even see that as the English name of the street.

A lot of times it is the foreigners who transliterate incorrectly simply because they hear it incorrectly. There used to be a girl at FLB named Bill. It wasn't until many years later that I discovered that Bill wasn't her name at all. It was just the person who put it in their computer heard it as Bill. Her name is more corrected spelled as Biew, or even Beau (but that would sound like Bow). Her name is short for Beauty. 

It does not help that Thailand doesn't seem to have an official transliteration system. I've seen official signs have different transliterations for Jomtien, for example. Jomtien vs Chomtien.

In any case, when in doubt, refer to the Thai spelling. Thai language is mostly phonetic, unlike English. Sometimes, even this doesn't work. If you just pronounce พัทยา (Pattaya) phonetically, you would get Pat-ya. The same is true for สัตหีบ (Sattahip). Phonetically, it would just be Sat-hip.

Buakhao_Spelling.png

I think you are missing something here. The spelling is not different, the *transliteration* is different. It's spelled บัวขาว. Transliterated by Google as Buakaw, (note that Google doesn't really do transliteration, they just do letter substitutions), and transliterated on the sign as Buakhaow. It's translated as "white lotus", so sometimes you might even see that as the English name of the street.

A lot of times it is the foreigners who transliterate incorrectly simply because they hear it incorrectly. There used to be a girl at FLB named Bill. It wasn't until many years later that I discovered that Bill wasn't her name at all. It was just the person who put it in their computer heard it as Bill. Her name is more corrected spelled as Biew, or even Beau (but that would sound like Bow). Her name is short for Beauty. 

It does not help that Thailand doesn't seem to have an official transliteration system. I've seen official signs have different transliterations for Jomtien, for example. Jomtien vs Chomtien.

In any case, when in doubt, refer to the Thai spelling. Thai language is mostly phonetic, unlike English. Sometimes, even this doesn't work. If you just pronounce พัทยา (Pattaya) phonetically, you would get Pat-ya. The same is true for สัตหีบ (Sattahip). Phonetically, it would just be Sat-hip.
Buakhao_Spelling.png.000369d6368846fc684bbe3556c3bdd5.png
I you are also missing something. I appreciate your point about transliteration but it is a fact that it is spelling in many different ways. Buakhao, Buakhaw etc are different spellings of the same transliteration.

I sometimes think that names have been anglicised by us tourists. Examples of this is Soi Boncott. The signs actually say Bonkoch. Now I would call this Boncock but Americans pronounce the surname Koch as Coke so it could end up with a variety of sounds and I doubt anyone cares. My original comment about Pattaya was someone saying he "Shuddered" at the way it was mispronounced. With Thai /English it's just a fact of life. The reality is that very very few falang write Thai.

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, BeerBelly said:

Buakhao_Spelling.png

All true of course... but how do you pronounce the name "Areca Lodge" ... I do believe that a well known BM is named after the Thai pronunciation...??

1 hour ago, BeerBelly said:

The same is true for สัตหีบ (Sattahip). Phonetically, it would just be Sat-hip.

Every-time I look at my truck, I wonder where most of the letters have gone from 'Chonburi'... particularly some vowels!

Chon Buri (ชลบุรี)

Edited by jacko

43 minutes ago, jacko said:

Every-time I look at my truck, I wonder where most of the letters have gone from 'Chonburi'... particularly some vowels!

Chon Buri (ชลบุรี)

Same with me. It looks too short, but actually it is 100% phonetic. ชล (Chon). When you have a starting consonant followed by an ending consonant, the vowel is O. บุ (bu) and รี (ri) are correct. But I still see it as "too short"...lol

Well seeing as this subject has kicked off my favourite horror is the transliterated hundred, "rawy". It starts out sounding as Roy but then the Issan folk change it again to Loy! For a Westerner it looks impossible. It does however draw attention to the first few pages in any Thai /English dictionary regarding letter sounds.

44 minutes ago, teelack said:

Well seeing as this subject has kicked off my favourite horror is the transliterated hundred, "rawy". It starts out sounding as Roy but then the Issan folk change it again to Loy! For a Westerner it looks impossible. It does however draw attention to the first few pages in any Thai /English dictionary regarding letter sounds.

Agreed.

I am by no means a polyglot but I have spoken quite a few languages whilst living in a lot countries and all I can say is that anyone, from any country, rarely uses the "correct" pronunciation of their own language.

I feel quite strongly that in Thailand the pronunciation and choice of words are chosen in such a way that the other person understands the meaning of what you are trying to say. Simples.

8 hours ago, Bullfrog said:

I am by no means a polyglot but I have spoken quite a few languages whilst living in a lot countries and all I can say is that anyone, from any country, rarely uses the "correct" pronunciation of their own language.

I feel quite strongly that in Thailand the pronunciation and choice of words are chosen in such a way that the other person understands the meaning of what you are trying to say. Simples.

Indeed it's not enough to understand the language, you need to work on pronunciation as well. It doesn't need top be perfect just don't mangle it. Being understood is more than just speaking the words. Every country has regional variations in accent. I know that Filipinas can pick which island anybody comes from by their accent and the same is true to a lesser extent in Thailand. Of course, the worst English language countries for variation in accent are the UK and the USA. In Australia, there is none.

I don't care how they pronounce Pattaya as long as I know what they are talking about. A good friend of mine from the US loved the Milk Bar. That was always his first stop. He was a tit man. What was the name of that bar on Walking Street? That was a long time ago. I was thinking it was Electric Blue.

1 hour ago, Gary said:

I don't care how they pronounce Pattaya as long as I know what they are talking about. A good friend of mine from the US loved the Milk Bar. That was always his first stop. He was a tit man. What was the name of that bar on Walking Street? That was a long time ago. I was thinking it was Electric Blue.

I think it was the originsl (upstairs) Peppermint Palace

On 10/14/2020 at 7:31 AM, Shooter said:

I know a lot of guys dream about working as a manager of a gogo bar.  I could not do it.  Well maybe I could but I don't need the money and won't do it.  It doesn't look easy or fun to me at all.  Constantly managing a lot of young women with personal issues and customers who are drunk and love struck or jealous or whatever.  Plus you sacrifice your liver to the job.  It doesn't look easy to me at all and my hats off to the guys who do it well. 

Larry has done it for years and he doesn't drink

11 hours ago, lounge_lizard said:

I think it was the originsl (upstairs) Peppermint Palace

It was an upstairs bar.

Pattaya Talk gets a mention in my new video, where I get to talk to Larry, formerly of Secrets and Babydolls. It’s the first of a two part episode, please subscribe for free for next weeks Part 2.

When Phil Met Larry (Part 1 ) | PATTAYA BAR MANAGER LARRY FROM SECRETS WALKING STREET

35 minutes ago, misteregg said:

Pattaya Talk gets a mention in my new video, where I get to talk to Larry, formerly of Secrets and Babydolls. It’s the first of a two part episode, please subscribe for free for next weeks Part 2.

When Phil Met Larry (Part 1 ) | PATTAYA BAR MANAGER LARRY FROM SECRETS WALKING STREET

The best thing about Cats Corner was that anybody that had been involved in a "misunderstanding" in  the surrounding bars/agogos went to the doctors surgery opposite to get patched up. Quite a few would then go to Cats Corner to have a beer through swollen lips and broken teeth. More than once I saw two protagonists "kiss and make up" in there ..

As for Secrets - I have nothing good to say about the place nor the Management so won't say anything other than it was all personal experience rather than hearsay.

One transliteration that I do not understand is for an island, in English you see Koh as in Koh Samui but the Thais that I know pronounce it as Gough Samui.

Sent from my ASUS_X00HD using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Severn said:

One transliteration that I do not understand is for an island, in English you see Koh as in Koh Samui but the Thais that I know pronounce it as Gough Samui.

pronounce it with a hard G, like golf.

Edited by kahoy