Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Fix For ATM Not Reading "Chipped" Card

Over the last couple of months first my Kasikorn and then Bangkok Bank ATM card were getting rejected from some ATM machines with the message they could not read the chip. It was strange as the same machine that would reject one card would read the other bank's card. I just figured it was due to the typical Thai lack of maintenance on anything and that the ATM chip reader was getting flaky.

Today I had occasion to stop in at a Bangkok Bank branch office for another banking matter, so while there mentioned the problem with the reading of my ATM card's chip. Without another word she took my card, pulled out of a drawer a big eraser and proceeded to clean the chip with the eraser. After the cleaning the card worked fine.

I never really looked closely at the chip embedded in the card. I just figured the chip used RFID technology, which doesn't require physical contact with the chip to read its contents. Looking more closely now I can see there are obvious contact points the reader needs to touch in order to read the chip's contents. Over time they either get oxidized or gunked up, which an eraser can quickly clean off.

Hope this helps others with the same problem.

Edited by forcebwithu

Seems I never had that problem.... but using an eraser to clean up contacts a touch is an old 'fix'.... overdo it and any thin layer of gold there is gone. Had the cards for a long time? Keep them loose in your pocket? I actually just replaced mine as I think I left it sitting in some machine. 

3 hours ago, jacko said:

Seems I never had that problem.... but using an eraser to clean up contacts a touch is an old 'fix'.... overdo it and any thin layer of gold there is gone. Had the cards for a long time? Keep them loose in your pocket? I actually just replaced mine as I think I left it sitting in some machine. 

Both cards are about two years old. I keep them in a separate pocket within my wallet. I suspect it's just a case of oxidation on the contacts.

Used to have the same problem with circuit boards in desktop computers. Same trick of pulling them and using an eraser on the contacts resolved quite a few memory, HD, or screen issues.

8 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Both cards are about two years old. I keep them in a separate pocket within my wallet. I suspect it's just a case of oxidation on the contacts.

Used to have the same problem with circuit boards in desktop computers. Same trick of pulling them and using an eraser on the contacts resolved quite a few memory, HD, or screen issues.

I have fixed more things and come out looking like a magician by pulling a circuit board  out, and pushing it back in than I care to remember.... I called it push-pull faults. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, jacko said:

I have fixed more things and come out looking like a magician by pulling a circuit board  out, and pushing it back in than I care to remember.... I called it push-pull faults. 

But those boards of yours did go wrong...... I used to spent plenty of time in my younger days replacing components on them....... <grin  <grin  <grin

5 hours ago, MrMango said:

Gold and a few other metals that do not react to O2 are almost universally used to plate electrical contacts to prevent that.

Even if plated with gold, they tend to rub off through use.

50 minutes ago, MrMango said:

As I posted there are other noble metals other than gold, Rhodium is one.

Of course there are, but it would be more relevant to this discussion if they were used on credit card chips.

image.png

9 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Of course there are, but it would be more relevant to this discussion if they were used on credit card chips.

image.png

More relevant? I was responding to the usually gold plating on the chip that acts as a connector when you insert the card into the reader.

Which is the point of the OP.

21 hours ago, Bullfrog said:

I just rub it once across my sweaty shirt. Works for me!

If someone is standing too close behind at the ATM I do it on theirs.

I also have a Kasikorn account with the mobile app on my smartphone.  The careless feature is great imo.  Uses scan technology.

No need to carry a card and worry about losing it, leaving in the ATM, phishing etc.

On 10/25/2020 at 7:27 AM, typhoon42 said:

I also have a Kasikorn account with the mobile app on my smartphone.  The careless feature is great imo.  Uses scan technology.

No need to carry a card and worry about losing it, leaving in the ATM, phishing etc.

Thanks, I tried to activate this but couldnt. No problem i will stop by a branch. 

1 hour ago, sailingbill said:

Thanks, I tried to activate this but couldnt. No problem i will stop by a branch. 

Good point.  I had mine set up and activated when I opened my account.  Not sure if you need to go to your original branch when you set up your account.  TIT.

I really like this feature.

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...