jomtienguy

Guinness may actually be good for you now: There's a non-alcoholic version

10 hours ago, bangsaenguy said:

Guiness has always been healthy. 

Always gave me a healthy dump later!

1 hour ago, jacko said:

And a pretty shade of black....

In my navy days I sailed with a lot of Irish Guinness drinkers. We all agreed that it made your feet smelly. I tried not to share a cabin with them!

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, jacko said:

And without the gaseous emissions that BASS gave you ...

44 minutes ago, Bullfrog said:

And without the gaseous emissions that BASS gave you ...

More problems with cod, although it might have been the mushy peas. 

I was a Guinness drinker back in the UK, though it pales in comparison with the Irish original you get in e.g. Dublin. It's second only to mother's milk, which as we know is best because it comes in the nicest bottles. The thought of Guinness (or any other beer) without active ingredient makes me cringe. 

8 hours ago, midlifecrisis said:

I have tried a few non alcoholic beers and none of them taste good. To me it's like decaf...why bother?

1 hour ago, Bushcraft said:

I was a Guinness drinker back in the UK, though it pales in comparison with the Irish original you get in e.g. Dublin. It's second only to mother's milk, which as we know is best because it comes in the nicest bottles. The thought of Guinness (or any other beer) without active ingredient makes me cringe. 

I agree with you both  - never tried one I liked either, and the Irish Guiness definitely tastes better than the exports, IMHO...

Is there anywhere in Pattaya you can get a Black & Tan? Not non-alcoholic.

21 hours ago, RhinoTusk said:

I'm sure that Dennis at the Metro Bar would do it for you.

The only place that I have drunk Guinness in Pattaya is the Maggie May bar in Soi Chaiaphum. It was very good and a speciality of the house.

2 hours ago, teelack said:

The only place that I have drunk Guinness in Pattaya is the Maggie May bar in Soi Chaiaphum. It was very good and a speciality of the house.

I have enjoyed Dennis' hospitality at the Metro in Soi LK Metro many times, sometimes too many pints of Guinness and, on a couple of occasions, too many Jamesons.

On 10/30/2020 at 9:22 AM, RhinoTusk said:

I have never seen anyone order one in any of the places that serve Guinness around town but that doesn't mean you couldn't get one.

Under normal circumstances there are a fair few places around town that serve Guinness. I would expect most of the larger English and Irish style pubs to sell it, eg. Robin Hood, Retox Game On, Dicey O'Reilly etc. to sell it. In addition places like Metro Apartments and Murphy's Law and some gentleman's club's like Kinnaree and the Huntsman stock it.

You might find it harder to find the pale ale element of the drink unless you are willing to substitute lager. There are some pub style places which sell English style bitters but I don't know if they are available at the moment. Another possibility is to find a place that does craft beers and get a bottle of light ale.

A further problem might be that the staff would not know how to prepare the drink to get the separation between the dark and the light beers.

Finally supplies of Guinness have been unreliable over the last couple of months. There was a long period in September when it was not available. It became available around the end of September, IIRC, but those supplies have now run out. I had the last pint of Guinness at the Metro about a week and a half ago although Murphy's Law still had some stock a couple of days later.

Good luck in your search.

I can’t get a Guinness in Ao Nang.  Bars have kegs but there isn’t enough demand to tap one.

On 10/29/2020 at 6:17 PM, midlifecrisis said:

I have tried a few non alcoholic beers and none of them taste good. To me it's like decaf...why bother?

I'm in the why bother camp. I like the beer buzz. No buzz, why bother.