Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jomtienguy

What's your opinion on dual pricing?

20 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

I've visited Phimai historical park on two occasions to take wifey and her mates, get to the entrance and they insist on me paying their tourist tax despite wifey explaining to them i live in Thailand and we are married, she shows them my DL and pink ID card, all to no avail so i sit in the aircon coffee bar just round the corner waiting for wifey and her mates to return. I have little interest in the place as AFAIC its just a pile of uninteresting rubble and the coffee was great lol

I have to say i've seen most of what i wanted to see when i was a tourist and i paid up accordingly but those times are now over and have been for some considerable time, either admit me at the local rate or shove it Thailand.

I have been there many times but I admit to it being many years ago... don't recall paying anything. 

40 minutes ago, jacko said:

I have been there many times but I admit to it being many years ago... don't recall paying anything. 

My visits were circa 10 and 8 years ago and there is a payment booth at the entrance, you did'nt hop over the low fence for a freebie did you lol  

48 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

My visits were circa 10 and 8 years ago and there is a payment booth at the entrance, you did'nt hop over the low fence for a freebie did you lol  

I might have done..... I am thinking 15 years ago maybe.  I also recall going to a temple nearby where there was this incredibly huge banyan tree.

1 hour ago, jacko said:

incredibly huge banyan tree.

Yes its very impressive, any visit to Phimai has to include the famous tree. A mate of mine had a bar in Phimai with his Thai wife so i used to be a regular visitor, sadly he's no longer with his wife or living in Thailand.

Years ago I took a car load of Thais to a national park. At the gate, me being a bullheaded old fart, refused to pay the farang price. There was a line or cars behind me. The Thais in my car were throwing a fit and yelling. There was no way for me to turn the car around. Finally the gate attendant relented and we went in. 

We have the option to pay the farang tax on not. We are not Thai citizens and we pay no taxes, that is most of us don't. I can live with it. My wife was embarrassed and from then on she spoke in Thai to the ticket booth attendants. I'm sure that she paid the farang price for me but kept her mouth shut and refused to tell me.

45 minutes ago, Gary said:

We are not Thai citizens and we pay no taxes

For the amount of tax I have paid on wine I should get unlimited free access and get a bunch of cheer leaders to put on a song and dance at the entrances for me..

Edited by Bullfrog

56 minutes ago, Bullfrog said:

For the amount of tax I have paid on wine I should get unlimited free access and get a bunch of cheer leaders to put on a song and dance at the entrances for me..

The difference is that the Thais pay the same amount of sin taxes that I pay. The old rule applies, the only two sure things are taxes and death.

On 10/26/2020 at 8:15 AM, midlifecrisis said:

At a municipal course, paid for by taxpayers, I could understand it but not at private courses. 

I live on the western side of the big island of Hawaii, and the Island has one municipal golf course on the east side, about 90 miles away.

The County gives private golf clubs on the west side a subsidy for each local golfer, but nothing for visitors.

1 hour ago, Bullfrog said:

They do that when you leave the shop, bumfluff 😂

Hope you're keeping well, mate.👍

...I use to not care, but after a dozen years here, I said “enough is enough “

last time the park wanted quite a bit more for a foreigner to get into the park....I waited outside  and was fine with that