Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
jomtienguy

The Desolation of Sois

Wow.  I mean I knew logically that Pattaya was closed down but that looks like something out of a zombie movie.  It hit hard seeing that.  My heart breaks for those that lost everything and may not be able to start over even assuming the covid pandemic ends soon. 

It is indeed sad to watch.

My first trip to Pattaya was in 1998, stayed in Soi 7. The beer bars in Soi 7and 8 were (at that time) absolutely crowded. I hated them, being used to the PI bar scene. However, returning in 2004 onwards, my attitude towards the beer bars changed, and I started to frequent them more often, although rarely in Soi’s 7-8. These two Soi’s were in decline before Covid; doubt if they will ever come back.

Soi’s 7 & 8 were dead before the pandemic.  The market was large enough to support 3 red light areas and Soi’s 7/8 declined as Soi LK Metro expanded. The location is good and the area will surely be developed commercially when things rebound.

On 10/25/2020 at 9:15 AM, teelack said:

That would be one of the saddest things I have ever seen. For so many people 7 and 8 had enough happening to keep us there all night. I stayed in most of the hotels in Soi 8 and drank, danced and barfined from the bars and gogos in the area.

My heart goes out to the people who lost their jobs, life savings and dreams. Its a bloody tragedy.

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

Totally agree,

at one time never needed to go out of Soi 7&8  use to eat on Soi 7 party on Soi 8

Barbershop, massage, hotel and dentist on the same  Soi ,

if I did go back early to the Sunshine would hear the music get up and go back out ,

sad to see best bar gone  ,  hard to contemplate had bad things are ,

Soi’s 7 & 8 were dead before the pandemic.  The market was large enough to support 3 red light areas and Soi’s 7/8 declined as Soi LK Metro expanded. The location is good and the area will surely be developed commercially when things rebound.
I would have agreed however in the last couple of years I have been happy to go to the big bar complex at the Beach Road end of Soi 8. Only guessing but at times there were more people drinking here than had been in Soi 8 for the last ten years.

2 hours ago, teelack said:

I would have agreed however in the last couple of years I have been happy to go to the big bar complex at the Beach Road end of Soi 8. Only guessing but at times there were more people drinking here than had been in Soi 8 for the last ten years.

I was always baffled by WHY that bar was so successful.  But you are right,  It would be packed at 5 in the afternoon and many of them had been there for a while.  Very successful bar.

I was always baffled by WHY that bar was so successful.  But you are right,  It would be packed at 5 in the afternoon and many of them had been there for a while.  Very successful bar.
It was a lot of bars and as I understand it, a few of the girls who worked there could take off early to look after their children or take a late job as well. The other things were the sunsets and the 60 baht SML. I also learned that while my TGF did not go for beer bars she was comfortable there. Add this to the live band and pool tables, it had something for everyone.

1 hour ago, teelack said:

It was a lot of bars and as I understand it, a few of the girls who worked there could take off early to look after their children or take a late job as well. The other things were the sunsets and the 60 baht SML. I also learned that while my TGF did not go for beer bars she was comfortable there. Add this to the live band and pool tables, it had something for everyone.

Not my cuppa.  No aircon and uncomfortable seats.  But I can see why someone on a 2 week holiday might find it appealing.

5 hours ago, teelack said:

I think the attraction of those bars was the Beach Road element of the location rather than Soi 8. There were always quite a few bars in various locations along Beach Road that did well in the afternoons and early evenings although I think in pre-covid  times the bars on the corner of Soi 8 were probably the busiest.

I haven't been in these bars since the re-opening and have only driven past a few times. I thought they would have more customers than they actually did but that can be said for a lot of places around town. Last time I drove past, the bar on the corner, Lucky Star (?), with the live band did seem to have a decent number of customers, although the rest of the complex was sparsely populated.

Not my cuppa.  No aircon and uncomfortable seats.  But I can see why someone on a 2 week holiday might find it appealing.

Well seems like you would never have been to the Cherry Bar in any of its 3 locations or the Best Bar or indeed any of the other circa thousand bars in Pattaya that don't have any aircon. You have missed some treats. Incidentally, many expats are happy to drink in that sort of bar.

4 hours ago, teelack said:

Well seems like you would never have been to the Cherry Bar in any of its 3 locations or the Best Bar or indeed any of the other circa thousand bars in Pattaya that don't have any aircon. You have missed some treats. Incidentally, many expats are happy to drink in that sort of bar.

Yes they are fine, especially this time of year. Not too keen in March or April, and one's ankles can get bitten a bit, but I usually have repellent with me.

8 hours ago, teelack said:

You would be wrong about that.  But not in the day time with the sun beating on you.  I never understood sitting out in the hot sweaty sun drinking beer.  Spent most of my afternoons relaxing indoors after golf waiting for the sun to go down.  But I  get it if a tourist isn't wasting any Pattaya time.

You would be wrong about that.  But not in the day time with the sun beating on you.  I never understood sitting out in the hot sweaty sun drinking beer.  Spent most of my afternoons relaxing indoors after golf waiting for the sun to go down.  But I  get it if a tourist isn't wasting any Pattaya time.

Sorry but as I am a holiday maker and I rarely drink during the day it is you who are completely wrong.. Beer bars have a place and if you consider that only sweaty 2 week holiday makers visit them (this was the point you made) then you are quite wrong. Also, sitting in the sun is something that a lot of people come to Thailand for.

6 hours ago, Shooter said:

Can see your point,  but I have the mad dog and English man mindset  😀

3 hours ago, teelack said:

Sorry but as I am a holiday maker and I rarely drink during the day it is you who are completely wrong.. Beer bars have a place and if you consider that only sweaty 2 week holiday makers visit them (this was the point you made) then you are quite wrong. Also, sitting in the sun is something that a lot of people come to Thailand for.

Errm, the you would be wrong statement was that I had never been to any of the beach beer bars.  And I do think most of the ones sitting there in the afternoon are tourists but I have no idea what you do. 

3 hours ago, gs joe said:

Can see your point,  but I have the mad dog and English man mindset  😀

Yes well I have a lot of English/Scot/Irish friends that fit the mad dogs and English mindset.  😀  I think it comes from living in cloudy skies all your life and enjoying the change. 

I live in Arizona and we get more than enough sun year round.  Other than golfing I stay out of it all I can.

It surprised me that you still call them friends after you have rubbished them for liking some sun, not worrying about aircon and drinking during the day while on holiday! Of course they only have 2 weeks so I suppose it's understandable.

3 hours ago, teelack said:

It surprised me that you still call them friends after you have rubbished them for liking some sun, not worrying about aircon and drinking during the day while on holiday! Of course they only have 2 weeks so I suppose it's understandable.emoji848.png

Not sure how you perceive I have disparaged anyone.  I don't like too much sun cause I live in it year round.  I don't demean anyone else for their different desires.  You are reading things into what I post that aren't written.

1 hour ago, Shooter said:

Not sure how you perceive I have disparaged anyone.  I don't like too much sun cause I live in it year round.  I don't demean anyone else for their different desires.  You are reading things into what I post that aren't written.

I see your point having lived in The Middle East and also Texas and Arizona.

Although my origins (Manchester, UK) has pretty gloomy weather ... it took time but priority #1 is no longer getting into the sunshine.

Edited by jacko

OMB....... some great bars gone forever....... even looked like Tequila Reef is closed, it’s glory days were long behind but it had stumbled along.

Really makes you wonder whether Pattaya as a whole will ever be able to recover, there will be so much prime real estate available it could be a building site for decades

On my 10 trips I either stayed on Soi 7 or 8 and had great times from 2007 to 2012, when I returned in 2016-2018, it wasn't the same, most of the bar had fewer customers, then they tore down a bar complex to make room for a big hotel.

I love the area and hope it recovers but doubt it.

I think Soi Honey will be the next hot spot.