Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Condo balcony - childproofing

E7CED256-2B71-4459-B4D2-DF03968E2D62.thumb.jpeg.c8501860893e36453297a3d7d6c1c2d0.jpegHello,

Balcony-

For childproofing/safety reasons, I would like to run/extend bars from the ledge all the way up to the bottom of the above condo.  

Does anybody know someone who specializes in this or has done it on their balcony/windows?

I currently just have a mesh netting that isn’t really all that secure and want something a bit more professionally done

thanks!

A063AF5B-4B25-4EA8-8203-2A800265EBFB.thumb.jpeg.ba843aa78a3317cc4e874e7538cc573a.jpeg

6D2E12FF-B0BA-4674-9D30-E47F5A2DAB54.thumb.jpeg.a2747d20bdfcc914e8c8b953120326a5.jpeg

5A9ED9EE-080C-4142-A186-5410A6A2894C.thumb.jpeg.e8b30c375878c3e738c180a9d1f17e03.jpeg

How old is the child? I assume there will be furniture on the balcony. The biggest danger is a child pushing furniture over to the railing/wall and then climbing up to look over the railing. In that case, the gaps in your metal railings are not the only problem. The larger a child gets, the less of a problem the gaps become and the more of a problem climbing becomes. 

As to the gaps. Something cut to size (for the sake of example plywood but something nicer or at least painted and decorated).

Now drill a through hole through the facade piece and the vertical poles of the metal work matching positions (measure twice/cut and drill once). Bolt the facade to the metal.

A nice look would be plexiglass that maintains the visual/light through. You need to be a little bit more careful drilling hard plastic over wood but it isn't bad. 

Always keep in mind your furniture is not innocuous. 

Edited by midlifecrisis
  • Thanks 1

Did you get the OK from the condo management....?

• Like 3

Jacko hit on the big one. Make sure you get approval from the condo committee before making any changes. You may find yourself tearing your safety precautions back out. My condo committee is of the opinion that it is best to keep kids off the balcony. Putting a secure lock on the sliding doors to the balcony is the only option.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Gary said:

Putting a secure lock on the sliding doors to the balcony is the only option.

One bloke that rented out my condo long term added very good quality mossie screen doors. They really did look very nice from the inside and the outside and it seemed to add a "luxury" factor to it when I sold it ......They were "made to measure" so that locks could be fitted at any heights you wanted. Condo management didn't have a problem with it either. Unfortunately I have no idea where they were purchased though ..

The fundamental issue is stopping the child having access when unsupervised ..

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bullfrog said:

One bloke that rented out my condo long term added very good quality mossie screen doors. They really did look very nice from the inside and the outside and it seemed to add a "luxury" factor to it when I sold it ......They were "made to measure" so that locks could be fitted at any heights you wanted. Condo management didn't have a problem with it either. Unfortunately I have no idea where they were purchased though ..

The fundamental issue is stopping the child having access when unsupervised ..

I don't wish to be pedantic but my neighbour fitted nice mozzie screen doors onto his terrace to go outside..... cat seems to have figured them out already. I really would be scared to have a toddler and a balcony...... I am scared of a high one myself!

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, jacko said:

I really would be scared to have a toddler and a balcony...

Bang! There you have it! Buy one of those toddler gate thingys that have been available for decades that are used to stop children going up/down stairs.....on the balcony doors...

I am doing my best to avoid commenting on somebodies life choices ( this isn't Thaivisa) but looking at possible solutions ..

• Like 1

Toddlers are patient and more clever than we credit them. If they want to get somewhere, they will work at until they figure out a way and a balcony is like a magnet. Scary indeed.

• Like 1