Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Does anyone currently in Pattaya use (or heard of) the ride sharing app “BOLT”

In a recent you tube video, Rides 4 Kickz did a minor “promo” of the app, showing how it worked, and how cheap the rides were. Basically short trips for under 50 Baht. Quick, good service, using late model cars.

Probably has at least six months before mass tourism restarts in Thailand, so at the moment its probably survival of the fittest, however I wonder how the MBT boys will take to another ride sharing taxi app, particularly one that offers short cheap rides?

(youtube by Rides 4 Kicks here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkDvvB9AqDY&t=1s) )

I have downloaded it but not yet had an opportunity to use it. Downloaded based on a couple of good recommendations and fed up that Grab had put up their prices. (Hate their food delivery drivers too, keep buzzing me and causing me to start)

I have a friend who recommended it. I've yet to use it myself, but have downloaded it and checked out how much it would cost to get a ride from my place to Le Pub on Walking Street. This was during the afternoon, so not sure if they raise prices in the evening, but it was 78 baht. For comparison, motorbike taxis charge me 120 baht and Grab Taxi about 240 baht.

I'm sure these are just promotional rates, and I suspect they are the same drivers as Grab. 

I've been using it regularly. Rides from Jomtien into Central Pattaya generally around 60 baht. Jomtien to Soi 6 70 baht. Good clean cars and normally efficient service. A few drivers didn't seem to know their way around Pattaya but easily corrected.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Blackwell said:

Does anyone currently in Pattaya use (or heard of) the ride sharing app “BOLT”

In a recent you tube video, Rides 4 Kickz did a minor “promo” of the app, showing how it worked, and how cheap the rides were. Basically short trips for under 50 Baht. Quick, good service, using late model cars.

Probably has at least six months before mass tourism restarts in Thailand, so at the moment its probably survival of the fittest, however I wonder how the MBT boys will take to another ride sharing taxi app, particularly one that offers short cheap rides?

(youtube by Rides 4 Kicks here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkDvvB9AqDY&t=1s) )

Here's the youtube with the 12 minute preamble cropped:

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Only thing is 1 driver tried to overcharge me when he got lost- totally his fault, I had map on booking and correct price, he just didn't follow his only map on Bolt from the booking.

Paid what I was quoted, had no sympathy for a taxi ho can't follow a map.

Weird that i've mostly had newer high standard cars.

On 12/16/2020 at 8:53 AM, barsie said:

Really good- used it a lot.

Now, maybe just a rumour, but I believe it's being government subsidized. Possible to get rid of Grab in favour of a thai company.

Not sure why the Thai government would support Bolt over Grab. Neither are Thai companies. Bolt is headquartered in Tallinn, Estonia, while Grab is in Singapore.

• Upvote 1

Downloaded the Bolt app and got some prices.

The economy car was THB 216 from The Avenue mall to Sattahip.

My girl downloaded the app in Thai and got a price from The Avenue mall to Sattahip.  It was over THB 600.

Why the price difference?  I am the foreigner and she is local.

I've just seen this, posted today on a FB group, and think it worth copying here to caution potential users:

Hi all. Absolutely loving the bolt taxi app, however last night we had a bit of a sketchy experience....
Halfway through our trip from Jomtien to Pattaya our driver (in a taxi company vehicle) suddenly answered his phone and asked us to get out. His conversation (in Thai) was odd and very brief and he strangely asked us to drop us off ...
The location he dropped us at was well lit with people around otherwise we we would not have got out...
The very odd thing was as we were waiting for our next bolt driver to arrive a car stopped and tried to pick us up, the driver said to my lady "I am bolt" , but the licence plate did not match the new number in the app we ordered....
Fortunately the correct vehicle arrived very within seconds and we got in the correct vehicle...
The whole experience was quite strange, but I wanted to share. Moral of the story is make sure you check the license plate number and be careful... Lord knows what would have happened if we got in that other car...
I will be following up through the app with the original driver and report best I can...

• Thanks 2

I have started to use it in the last week and last was quite surprised to be picked up by a normal taxi. It was only a 50 baht ride and before you wouldn’t have been able to go anywhere for less than 150. He picked me up next to a taxi stand and stopped to talk to the other drivers all seemed quite friendly when you remember the stories about Grab drivers before. Noticed you can also order a motor bike as well.

Experiences so far have all been really good.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Broughton said:

I have started to use it in the last week and last was quite surprised to be picked up by a normal taxi. It was only a 50 baht ride and before you wouldn’t have been able to go anywhere for less than 150. He picked me up next to a taxi stand and stopped to talk to the other drivers all seemed quite friendly when you remember the stories about Grab drivers before. Noticed you can also order a motor bike as well.

Experiences so far have all been really good.

I think they were okay with Grab drivers, it was Uber they chased down. I've seen regular taxis with Grab stickers in their windows.

I used Bolt a couple of times so far and so far so good. I do wonder when the prices will go up as I am very sure they will.

6 hours ago, BeerBelly said:

wonder when the prices will go up as I am very sure they wil

One driver told my wife they expect to put them up once they get better established which to be honest even they double them they will still be cheap.

one thing perhaps not widely noticed is the price is not fixed there is a charge per minute waiting time so if you get snarled up the clocks ticking.that’s what I’m assuming.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Broughton said:

One driver told my wife they expect to put them up once they get better established which to be honest even they double them they will still be cheap.

one thing perhaps not widely noticed is the price is not fixed there is a charge per minute waiting time so if you get snarled up the clocks ticking.that’s what I’m assuming.

I've noticed the waiting charge, (1.6 baht/ min), during the booking process, but with current low levels of traffic in Patts it hasn't been a factor.

I can't recall ever reading about anyone using Grab, Bolt, Uber or whatever to go from the bottom international airport to Pattaya.

Does that work? If so, service, price and cars? Any other comments?

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, teelack said:

I can't recall ever reading about anyone using Grab, Bolt, Uber or whatever to go from the bottom international airport to Pattaya.

Does that work? If so, service, price and cars? Any other comments?

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

It works best for local journeys. I am not aware of anyone using it for an airport pickup. However, a couple of guys I know recently went up to Bangkok using Bolt, the price was about the same as you could get by booking a local taxi driver.

I have just entered Suvarnabhumi to Soi Chayapoon on Bolt, it came up with a price of 982 baht for economy, I assume you would also have to add on tolls.

The cars are generally decent sized saloons although I have had some smaller cars and pick-ups turn up. They have also sent along meter taxis reasonably frequently.

I think locally you can negotiate a decent taxi price to BKK but for Pattaya airport they seem much cheaper.

on the the standard Taxi drivers using Bolt I ordered a ride, one turned up and he picked up someone else 50m up the street. Was a bit of pisser but soon re-ordered another it came in 5 minutes so no big drama just be aware these guys are more mercenary I did message Bolt and they replied to say they will monitor this particular driver in future.

6 minutes ago, Broughton said:

on the the standard Taxi drivers using Bolt I ordered a ride, one turned up and he picked up someone else 50m up the street. Was a bit of pisser but soon re-ordered another it came in 5 minutes so no big drama just be aware these guys are more mercenary I did message Bolt and they replied to say they will monitor this particular driver in future.

Only had one problem with a meter taxi from Bolt. One came from Foodmart, they are sharks there, and part way through the journey asked how much I was paying, I told him 60 baht as per the Bolt App. He reckoned he normally got 150 baht. I gave him 100baht, which I normally do anyway. I gave hom 1 star on the review and related what happened in the comment.

I have had quite a few meter taxis turn up since then and no further issues.

Damn , i am well out of touch . Grab from Naklua to Central Pattaya 223 thb . Was always pissed when leaving Central with grocery bags( Irritated not drunk) for our UK friends. This was when tourist were here the  drivers quoted me 300 baht. I smiled and said thanks but no.  Price dropped 300/250/200 but by that time i was on the 10 baht BB.  If i was carrying a lot of things just handed him 100 baht to take me to my door. Will download Bolt.