Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

586 million baht project to expand Jomtien Beach

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/12/04/586-million-baht-project-to-expand-jomtien-beach-to-solve-erosion-issues-continues/?fbclid=IwAR3FTLpmJ1N1iFj2lwOa0GpsOBRJacgmL6_eYPVBHnWFUHVRErOL8UNlQSU

“For the first phase which is 3.5 kilometers along Jomtien Beach on the Na Jomtien Southern End we have a 586,047,000 baht budget.”

“We have hired an Italian-Thai development public company to do this project. The project contract has started from May 30th, 2020 until November 15th, 2022 and is in total 900 days.”

“Sand is being taken from Rang Kwean Island which is about 15 kilometers from Jomtien beach. It is the same sand as we took for Pattaya Beach. The goal is to have a similar beach size for Jomtien Beach as Pattaya Beach was expanded to.”

“When the project is complete, the beach will be about 50 meters wide.”

Why?

The beach was fine when I and hundreds of others were there last year. 

Looks to me like a solution to a problem that doesnt actually exist.

On 12/6/2020 at 3:35 PM, Bazle said:

“For the first phase which is 3.5 kilometers along Jomtien Beach on the Na Jomtien Southern End we have a 586,047,000 baht budget.”

19 hours ago, awesum4 said:

Why?

The southern end of Jomtien doesn't have much of a beach. It's basically road then water.  I suspect they want to make a beach there so the real estate in that area will be more valuable. 

4 hours ago, BeerBelly said:

The southern end of Jomtien doesn't have much of a beach. It's basically road then water.  I suspect they want to make a beach there so the real estate in that area will be more valuable. 

That true, I walked to the end of the beach then went inland slightly and continued. After a couple of kms turned right and headed back towards the sea. There was a small fishing village which had a great seafood restaurant.

I dont like seafood but the lady I took there that night loved it. Was way cheaper than the big restaurant at the south end of Jomtein. 

On 12/7/2020 at 12:46 AM, awesum4 said:

Why?

Many years ago Jomtiem Beach was the better alternative, where there was a decent beach and cleaner water than Pattaya Bay. I didn't think the beach itself had deteriorated that much, the water quality, yes. 

6 hours ago, awesum4 said:

That true, I walked to the end of the beach then went inland slightly and continued. After a couple of kms turned right and headed back towards the sea. There was a small fishing village which had a great seafood restaurant.

I dont like seafood but the lady I took there that night loved it. Was way cheaper than the big restaurant at the south end of Jomtein. 

I was among the first to stay at the Sun, Sea, Sand Resort at Na Jomtien, for 3 or 4 nights back in around 2006. The beach there was only a few metres wide, and the sea just as filthy as in Pattaya, but only a  couple of hundred metres down the beach was (what I think is) the fishing village you saw. We had a beautiful seafood lunch there in the restaurant right on the beach. We remember not well.  The resort has got bigger and a lot more costly. There was also some sort of elephant farm, or refuge between the resort and the main road. Russians owned it and there were nightly live bands there.

I walked down beach road a couple of years ago and was surprised by the beach or lack of it and quality especially once you reach the fishing boats.The other thing was the massive high rise hotels and size of the resorts.Of course there were dozens of tour buses to service them so it makes sense to give them a beach so they don't have to be bussed to them,a win all round really.

9 hours ago, yselmike said:

I walked down beach road a couple of years ago and was surprised by the beach or lack of it and quality especially once you reach the fishing boats.The other thing was the massive high rise hotels and size of the resorts.Of course there were dozens of tour buses to service them so it makes sense to give them a beach so they don't have to be bussed to them,a win all round really.

I always felt these types of resorts were simply a way of locking tourist in..... too far out of town to get back and forth and a captive customer base that could be charged any price. Yes they might provide a good quality of accommodation, service and food, but in reality you could be anywhere. 

35 minutes ago, jacko said:

I always felt these types of resorts were simply a way of locking tourist in..... too far out of town to get back and forth and a captive customer base that could be charged any price. Yes they might provide a good quality of accommodation, service and food, but in reality you could be anywhere. 

When we stayed down there, it was a chill-out time. we had already spent a busy 2 weeks in Thailand, and she (as lovely British) girl wanted a couple of nights just with me. She booked and paid for the resort and, I must say, I enjoyed it. We did catch their mini-bus into Pattaya twice - once day time and once night time. I think it was fairly expensive at about 400 baht (for the 2 of us), return, each trip, but they picked us up at the designated time, and maybe that was a fair price. I believe that buses are much more expensive there now, around 500 baht each.

Sorry about the thread going off topic. The beach would be better with a makeover, but the resorts should pay for most of it IMHO.